PDA

View Full Version : Seaforth landing Rockcod fishing

fuzzy26
01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I was thinking about heading over to san diego to some rock fishing. See description below from there site. How heavy of a line and how much weight will i need to fish 240 to 400 feet of water? I've never fished the 9 mile banks or coronado islands and was wondering if the current is strong.

3/4 Day Rockcod
The San Diego will start 3/4 Day Rockcod Trips on January 1, 2009. These trips will run on Thursdays through Sundays departing at 5:30 am and returning at 5:00 pm. These trips will fish the lower end of the 9 Mile Bank and areas around the Coronado Islands at depths of 240 to 400 feet. Mexican Fishing Regulations allow for the use of up to four hooks at a time and unlike California, allow for the take of Rockfish, Whitefish and Lingcod during the months of January, February and March. (Lingcod)

Ricky-Ray
01-09-2009, 03:17 PM
30-40 mono would be good. I tend to fish 25-30, a little lighter but a little more sportier IMO. You'd want to bring torpedo sinkers anywhere from 10-16oz. If you have a 2 speed reel that would be helpful, you can use the high gear for bringing up your gear when there's no fish and the captain say's to reel up so he can make a move, and then you can switch to low gear for the slow wind back up with fish on.

Spectra helps too if you have it on your reel. I usually fish a 10ft mono topshot and the rest is spectra, at 400ft down and with spectra you can really feel the bites compared to mono where you really can't.

ghetto dad
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
30-40 mono would be good. I tend to fish 25-30, a little lighter but a little more sportier IMO. You'd want to bring torpedo sinkers anywhere from 10-16oz. If you have a 2 speed reel that would be helpful, you can use the high gear for bringing up your gear when there's no fish and the captain say's to reel up so he can make a move, and then you can switch to low gear for the slow wind back up with fish on.

Spectra helps too if you have it on your reel. I usually fish a 10ft mono topshot and the rest is spectra, at 400ft down and with spectra you can really feel the bites compared to mono where you really can't.

sportier...lmfao.....

GD

Cangler
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
sportier...lmfao.....

GD

The heavier the better , unless you can afford to lose sinkers
at $5 each ...

ghetto dad
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
The heavier the better , unless you can afford to lose sinkers
at $5 each ...

yeah, ricky is a baller.....he can afford to lose weights all day.....

GD

sansou
01-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Fuzzy,

At $100 or so a pop for a 3/4 day that most operators are charging here in SD, IMO, you get more value just paying a bit more and going on an overnighter (I think the Indian is doing them now). The overnighters get better grade of rockfish and cod.

That being said, at this time of the year most of the 3/4 are heading to the flats off IB for sandies (occasional halibut) to check the bite (fishing usually in 100ft or less with finbait, so 20-30 mono will be fine with 3oz to 8oz torpedo rigged in-line, or long dropper/hitch loop), then they usually will swing west to the islands and fish anywhere from 200 to 300ish for whatever groundfish are biting that day. On those deeper island hugging drops, depending on the current that day, you'll need 8oz all the way to 12oz or so, with thick line (spectra with super short topshot preferable, IMO). Fishing anything less than 40lbs straight mono at depths of 300ft + is "not ideal" due to stretch etc...

You'll catch some good fish on Sd 3/4 dayers, but the general consensus here is that the Coronados and 9mi is a bit fished out, and the quality of fish is nowhere near what you can get compared to an overnighter (e.g. Salsipuedes to Pta Banda all the way to begining part of the shoals).

Seaforth is a great landing and picked up some of Mission Bay's boats, but I would also suggest you can't go wrong with the new operators (husband & wife team) of the Mission Belle (Point Loma). I took my 7 year old for the first time on a couple 3/4 dayers with them this year, and the crew and captain were very cool. Once again, Seaforth has good boats too. Hope this helps.

Good luck out there and post a report!

ghetto dad
01-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Fuzzy,

At $100 or so a pop for a 3/4 day that most operators are charging here in SD, IMO, you get more value just paying a bit more and going on an overnighter (I think the Indian is doing them now). The overnighters get better grade of rockfish and cod.

That being said, at this time of the year most of the 3/4 are heading to the flats off IB for sandies (occasional halibut) to check the bite (fishing usually in 100ft or less with finbait, so 20-30 mono will be fine with 3oz to 8oz torpedo rigged in-line, or long dropper/hitch loop), then they usually will swing west to the islands and fish anywhere from 200 to 300ish for whatever groundfish are biting that day. On those deeper island hugging drops, depending on the current that day, you'll need 8oz all the way to 12oz or so, with thick line (spectra with super short topshot preferable, IMO). Fishing anything less than 40lbs straight mono at depths of 300ft + is "not ideal" due to stretch etc...

You'll catch some good fish on Sd 3/4 dayers, but the general consensus here is that the Coronados and 9mi is a bit fished out, and the quality of fish is nowhere near what you can get compared to an overnighter (e.g. Salsipuedes to Pta Banda all the way to begining part of the shoals).

Seaforth is a great landing and picked up some of Mission Bay's boats, but I would also suggest you can't go wrong with the new operators (husband & wife team) of the Mission Belle (Point Loma). I took my 7 year old for the first time on a couple 3/4 dayers with them this year, and the crew and captain were very cool. Once again, Seaforth has good boats too. Hope this helps.

Good luck out there and post a report!

Wow, its about time you posted some useful info on here Rich!!! Way to go bro, i knew you had it in you....:ROFL:

Good advice tho......thanks

GD

sesgia
01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
i say pack your high speed reel with spectra and short leader as for weight go 16/24oz or 2/3lb sinker (the hook go down fast more fish come up fast ) as for everyone on the boat is going to use 8-16oz weight. if your worry about losing your line use a swivel. if you want to load up on weight head over to richard's fishing tackle. they sell them $0.25 per OZ