PDA

View Full Version : wut fish to eat from the pier

zaggededgez
06-09-2007, 01:26 AM
ok i went down to newport with the girl today just to chill at the beach. i have never been ocean fishing and always want to try pier fishing.
well after pissing my girlfriend off i finnally convinced her to go walk the pier so i can spy on the people to see wut they are catchin.
so my question is
wut all do they people catch and keep and eat. i saw someone keep a horseshoe crab, are those good eating?
wut about bat rays and stuff

does anyone know of a good site that shows pics and stuff off all what these people catch in these waters. its interesting. i read the ocean boards on here and i aint stumped to your guys terminology. hahahha

shy_boxer
06-09-2007, 02:53 AM
Well I wouldn't eat anything off our local piers. But if I did just cook it properly and good luck!

victor101
06-09-2007, 06:10 AM
off of a pier i will eat these species of fish- halibut,sand bass, calico bass, and sometimes perch. http://www.pierfishing.com you can find a lot of useful pier fishing info on there.

Brad100
06-09-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't know, man... not sure I would eat any bay or pier fish... lotsa chit flowing into the inshore waters!!!

sansou
06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
zaggededgez,

You saw someone keep a horshoe crab???? I honestly did not know they grew in the Pacific. Last I heard, they were federally protected. I used to accidentally catch them all the time striper fishing in New York City (I used to fish at the base of the Verrazano, right outside Ft. Hamilton) when I worked there.

I imagine the waters up where you pier fish are just as bad or worse than here in SD. There isn't much if anything at all I would eat off the piers here. The mackerel have worms and their guts glow in the summer (no joke!), the croaker are big time bioaccumulators, the sculpin are miniscule to begin with, the halibut are also wormy, the sandies and calicos are either small and besides, should not be eaten for sporting reasons. The only thing that seems normal are the smelt and perch, and I don't like to eat smelt, and the one time I tried BSPs and WSPs they tasted really weird.

On the other hand, I am told that the shovelnose are good eating, and you can catch oodles of them of any given pier around here. I've never tried eating the tail meat (or any part), so I can't say much.... It would be cool if someone posted a pictorial of their cooking one here on the board though!

Good luck.

bigfishlittlefish
06-09-2007, 10:19 AM
You would have to be either desperate for fish or clueless to eat fish caught off of piers. Many piers along the OC coasts have signs recommending that u not eat more than a serving a week to a serving a month. Some, such as croakers caught in the L.A. harbor, are on the do not eat list. Most of the saltwater fish in the local waters are contaminated with heavy metals (I prefer adult alternative, jazz & classical) and pesticides. With all the poison in their system, u'd think they'd be pest free.

bflf

KaliDawgFan
06-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't eat anything caught off a pier, from shore or in a bay. I don't remember who told me, but they said that you really shouldn't eat anything caught within two miles from the shoreline.

rusty6
06-09-2007, 11:06 AM
i dunno about you guys, but i've eaten fish off of hungtington and even a halibut i caught off of seal beach pier, i dont glow in the dark nor do i have any cancerous growths, my bp is 110/68 and my resting heart rate is somewhere around 58 bpm. i dont know about you guys, but i havent found anything wrong with eating the fish i catch around here.

one_leg
06-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I've had no problems eating the Shrimp Dinner at Ruby's Dinner on the Balboa Pier in Newport Beach.

But seriously:
I had my Mom fry up a huge Anchovie I caught on Newport Beach Pier in the early 70's. It was pretty good!

One_Leg

zaggededgez
06-09-2007, 12:35 PM
yea i would not eat anything from the peir. i want to catch some stuff i just wanted to see wut peopel actually eat from there.
yea it was a horseshoe crab and the guy kept it and put it in the bucket.
do people eat those bat rays they catch

snoman
06-09-2007, 01:55 PM
all this talk about not eating stuff near the pier or in port. what about lobster? when i got with my uncle in his dingy, we use the nets in the harbor area. and so do a lot of other ppl. is it bad to eat them?

BakoBassin
06-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Garibaldi is the bomb diggity 8)

phish
06-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I eat perch, halibut and the occasional croaker from the pier...and have been since a kid...No ailments to speak of other than being lactose intolerant...and I sure do hope that my children don't grow gills. But in all seriousness...I am more worried about Mickie D's supersized meal...and smoking than the fish contamination. If you were told that if all you ate was broccoli and you would "maybe" live to 100 and be cancer free...would you do it?

ish...

v6v6v6
06-10-2007, 11:19 AM
does anyone know of a good site that shows pics and stuff off all what these people catch in these waters. its interesting. In addition to the site victor101 referred to, you'll find plenty of pier reports (with pics and stuff) in FNN's own SoCal Harbor, Bay, Surf, & Pier Reports[/url:3171c] section.

As for eating fish caught in our bays and along our shorelines, you might wanna check out the DFG guidelines at [url]http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/fishcon1.html (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewforum.php?f=19:3171c).

xahx
06-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Garibaldi is the bomb diggity 8)

ROFL!

SanDimasLMB
06-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Garibaldi is the bomb diggity 8) dont forget scrambled bald eagle eggs :lol:

one_leg
06-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Scrambled Bald Eagle Eggs with Smoked Girabaldi.
Maybe fishincatalina can hook you up with both.....j/k..LoL...

One_Leg

bigfishlittlefish
06-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Nooooo thanx! That's illegal! I'll just stick with the California grizzly, thank u very much.

bflf

BakoBassin
06-11-2007, 07:45 AM

Scrambled Bald Eagle Eggs with Smoked Girabaldi.
Maybe fishincatalina can hook you up with both.....j/k..LoL...

One_Leg
The best way to enjoy these tasty treats is to cook them right there on the pier. Throw em' on the hibachi grill while they're still alive for best results.