PDA

View Full Version : North, South, and Sabrina Lake Question

netdawg
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
My buddies and I come up to the Owens once a year in the March time frame after the Blake Jones and obviously well before the opener and we're always looking for spots to try outside the normal cast points...

...my question around the lakes I mention, are any available to fish before the opener? Are they worth (or allowed) tubing when fishing is a go?

Thanks for the info and anyone that'd like to share a barley-pop or two in late march at either Rusty's or a nice quiet camp spot, hit me up.

Joshua
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
My buddies and I come up to the Owens once a year in the March time frame after the Blake Jones and obviously well before the opener and we're always looking for spots to try outside the normal cast points...

...my question around the lakes I mention, are any available to fish before the opener? Are they worth (or allowed) tubing when fishing is a go?

Thanks for the info and anyone that'd like to share a barley-pop or two in late march at either Rusty's or a nice quiet camp spot, hit me up.

The lakes you mentioned are not open until the general trout opener (last Sat of April) Not only are they illegal to fish, they are covered in ice. The roads are also closed, so you are looking at a long hike in the ice and snow only to be caught fishing out of season.
North Lake and Intake II are great for tubing. South and Sabrina are much larger and folks seems to shore fish or get a boat.
So the Owens is the only option. PVR is part of the Owens. That is the only game in town
You could try the Kern River, if you are willing to spend some time in the car. Keep in mind, that they Kern is NOW on the DO NOT STOCK list.:Angry:

You can add Diaz Lake (Lone Pine) as a water that is Open for fishing.

retired96
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
You can't beat the Lower Owens for fishing in the winter /fall. I have fished it for many years and I have had the best fishing this time of year. Its so nice when you pretty much have the river to yourself.

gwjones00
01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
You can't beat the Lower Owens for fishing in the winter /fall. I have fished it for many years and I have had the best fishing this time of year. Its so nice when you pretty much have the river to yourself.

^ What he said.....

jklingel
01-13-2009, 04:32 PM
PVR has always given me success. I went last year over new years weekend 07-08, and did well. I am actually going there this weekend with my bro in law, we're looking to catch some Perch as well. Tubing is allowed in the PVR. Good luck.

Jbro
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Lower Owens is great, accessable w/4x4 and if you got some scratch a drift trip with Sierradrifters.com and Tom Loe will surely enhance your chances of lots of fish. I have had mutiple 40+fish days with him and got a sunburn to boot. About $395. for 2, all gear, lunch and drinks included, no booze included, all cpr and he provides dvd and photo of all your catches in 10 megapix. Boss Hogg of trips and in the middle of winter. Secret gem.