PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 1-5-09 & 1-7-09 evening

Ray Lopez
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Well after work both days i decided to try my luck at the lagoon.

on the 5th i got my 2009 fishing licence had to go to 3 places since most were sold out lol.

Well around 5:30pm on the 5th i was able to get my happy butt out on the water for the first trip of 2009.

I went to the spot that i landed that pig on the 18th and tossed out the hologram on the drop shot. Did this for about an hour with no bites so i moved north in between the reed beds. I kept the course with the hologram with not even one nibble. So about 30 mins later i returned to the first spot and keeped on trying. I saw tons of trout boling in this spot. But i was not in the mood nor did i even bring the gear for the baby stocker trout. Around 7:30 i called it a skunked night. The weater was perfect not to cold not to hot. No wind. Just no fish for me.

Then yesterday after work i went to gallions got some n/c's and got to the lake around 4pm this time. This time i started in the middle of the rip rap. I carolinaed the n/c and infalted it and casted out about 25 feet from shore to the left of me and then worked a 7" MMIII on the drop shot. Fan casted that area. No love so i move north. I get back to right b-4 the first camo site and cast out the n/c near some reeds and start fan casting the MMIII. No love so i switch the worm to a smaller curly tail hologram. As i was fan casting i look over and see my n/c is getting messed with so i stop what im doing and go to the pole. I twitch it a little but the fish had gone away already. Little bastard took off with half my worm!!!!

well back to fan casting. After hitting this area pretty good i switch over to my skunk buster 4 1/2" curly tail rb purple smoke and smother it with smelly jelly. I work this lure a bit but had no love so i figured it was time to move north to the reed beds.

I get there and toss the n/c near the northen reeds and start working the shoreline. By this time it is dark as all hell and not a soul is out on the lake. Only little ol me and my trusty rod. So i work the shoreline with this rb and then after nothing on my skunk buster (i'm pretty shocked i have never not caught a bass on this worm) I switch over to the 6" straight tail hologram shad and hit the shore again from one reed bed to the other. No love once again.

Well now im getting sort of butt hurt so i make the treck to the end of the 2nd camp ground and this part of the lake was dead empty sort of spooky with the cyotes going crazy and not being able to see anything at all only what my head lamp shows (and thats not much). I get there and cast out both poles. I start my way up the shoreline getting spooked by every sound i hear hahahaha. I really forgot how spooky the lagoon is at night by yourself. I go about 100 yards up the shoreline and make my way back once again without a bite.

I pack up again and move back to the spot right below b-4 the first camp site and cast out 5 more time. And i end my 2nd night at the lagoon with a big ol fatty skunkage.

I don't remeber the last time i had 2 skunks in a row at the lagoon. I guess after catching that beast the lagoon is showing me that she will not give it up so easy all the time for me.

But i'm one persistant bassturd =-P no matter how many skunks i get i will never stop pursuing them green backs

One thing tho i i think is very weird. They are dumping tons of water into the lagoon right now and overflowing it. Now from my understanding the water that fills the lagoon comes from the upper lake and the upper lake is 80 feet low. So can anyone explain to me as to why they are wasting so much water and letting it overflow out of the lagoon and not keeping it in the upper lake and letting the lake fill back to 100%?

i have a feeling the cold rush of water is keeping the bass not as active as they would normally be.

so far 2009 is been a phat skunkage

hopefully it wont last too long

one_leg
01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I start my way up the shoreline getting spooked by every sound i hear hahahaha. I really forgot how spooky the lagoon is at night by yourself.

RayLo, did you see GEO's ghost?

Keep trying out there.

Good luck.

Ray Lopez
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
RayLo, did you see GEO's ghost?

Keep trying out there.

Good luck.

lol can't say i did but i sure was hearing noises like crazy. It was trippy seeing as i was the only person on the whole lake. When i got back to my car it was the only one in the parking lot. That was creepy.

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
and this part of the lake was dead empty sort of spooky with the cyotes going crazy and not being able to see anything at all only what my head lamp shows (and thats not much).

I start my way up the shoreline getting spooked by every sound i hear hahahaha. I really forgot how spooky the lagoon is at night by yourself.

Ha ha ha......ay yes young grasshoppa...you must put mind over matter !

"If ya don't mind it doesnt matter!"

that place can be freaky sometimes, I dwell there alone most nights out there and later into the night as well, below the last campground can be more un-nerving, I've gotten used to it now...

I'm surprised my buddy list of 3-4 coons didn't pay you a visit, they are usually there around the 2nd campground !
rooting around !

Ha ha ha...maybe it was me lurking around in the shadows.....machet'e in hand...camoflaged out !....or maybe just with fillet knife....lurking....watching my spots....waiting for the poachers !!!

Ha ha ha.....the full moon may be coming...betta pick your nights wisely !!!!

ha ha ha ha..!

One thing tho i i think is very weird. They are dumping tons of water into the lagoon right now and overflowing it. Now from my understanding the water that fills the lagoon comes from the upper lake and the upper lake is 80 feet low. So can anyone explain to me as to why they are wasting so much water and letting it overflow out of the lagoon and not keeping it in the upper lake and letting the lake fill back to 100%?

i have a feeling the cold rush of water is keeping the bass not as active as they would normally be.

I can never get a straightforward answer to these sorts of questions when I pose them to the lakes administrative staff....some things don't make sense...the upper really need the water as youve noted.

One thing for sure is that the colder water flowing in (hyper cold from the extreme depths from the upper) doesn't do any good to any kind of bite pattern, thats why you see a hit or miss bite with roque bass here and there...no patterened bite at all as temps and subsequencial oxygen levels flux.

Its the goon...you know brotha....it'll make or break ya....

Keep at it....just beware of the noises !!!!!! ha ha ha
Gary

P.S.
Winter bassing there is usually not wide open anyway less you find a spot to hit the thermalcline

P.P.S.
sorry bout the skunk...you'll get on 'em if ya stay on 'em !

tacklejunkie
01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Haha the Lagoon is creepy at night! All kinds of animals runnin' around.
Keep at it, it's been tough from shore down here too lately.

BassButcher
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Ray, sorry bout the skunk. It was good to meet you out there yesterday. Being as persistant as you are, you'll get em next time!

SDDave
01-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Ray,
Next time you pass over the lil bridge on your way to the lagoon look out to the right, That is know as Castaic creek, they flow water to it piss off the crews working on the I 5 bridge,
and to give the pollywogs something to swim in. No, real deal is there's a underground aquifers in that flood basin across from the wayside honor ranch, you can see the wells all around there. waters big business as you know, 80% of developed water goes to agricultural uses, fish habitat is the last on the list.

Ray Lopez
01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey Ray, sorry bout the skunk. It was good to meet you out there yesterday. Being as persistant as you are, you'll get em next time!
mos def always good to run into a fellow team 57 member

Ray,
Next time you pass over the lil bridge on your way to the lagoon look out to the right, That is know as Castaic creek, they flow water to it piss off the crews working on the I 5 bridge,
and to give the pollywogs something to swim in. No, real deal is there's a underground aquifers in that flood basin across from the wayside honor ranch, you can see the wells all around there. waters big business as you know, 80% of developed water goes to agricultural uses, fish habitat is the last on the list.

but to just flood out the basin when there is much needed water in the upper lake??

that makes no sence since they pull water from the upper for drinking water. SO they are gonna flood out the lagoon wasteing water that should be going to our drinking water supply?

i don't know just is weird to me that they would watse water when we are in drought conditions. PLUS IT MESS'S WITH MY FISHING HOLES!!!!!! GRRR LOL

SDDave
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
mos def always good to run into a fellow team 57 member

but to just flood out the basin when there is much needed water in the upper lake??

that makes no sence since they pull water from the upper for drinking water. SO they are gonna flood out the lagoon wasteing water that should be going to our drinking water supply?

i don't know just is weird to me that they would watse water when we are in drought conditions. PLUS IT MESS'S WITH MY FISHING HOLES!!!!!! GRRR LOL
Ray, they don't flood out the basin like they would rice fields in Sacramento,
water follows the creek, some drains thru the rock strata and stays in what I guess could be describe as a underground lake,and they pump it back up for certain uses, drinking, irrigation, again water storage at any reservoir is just that, a place to store water until there's a need for it, it just so happens that by creating a lake big enough they are able to use the area for different use's, the State water resources dept. have deals with certain agencies and receive moneys for recreation to be provided to the public, fishing , boating, BUT... it all comes down to water is big money in a desert area like Southern Calf.
And as always, Fisherman and boater, are last on the list, beside current, which is what happens when they dump water into or out of the upper or lower is a good thing, it gets thing stirred up and gets fish active, be just like tidal movement at the Delta.
But If those bastard would just leave it alone for a while to let the fish adjust to a certain depth.
If any of you ever have time, take the tour at Pyramid Vista del Lagos facility, it would explain a lot about our water resources in So. Calif.

Lower Lake Castaic, can be awesome and it can suck, huge fish in there, to catch them take's knowledge and most important is time on the water, guys like Butch, Pat, Rob F. spend a lot of time there, but they also know when to be there. They catch a lot of big fish the general public doesn't hear about, Butch's video's are cool but if he posted his conquests on a daily basis guys on this board wouldn't bother to post there cell phone pic's of sub sized fish, I guess everyone wants to be on the Pro team, but for every public post of fish caught there,next time you'll get to your spot and there be 20 dude hitting your water...
Fishing is a sport that deals with water, outdoors and the challenge of teasing a fish that you can't see to bite a hook, however dressed, doesn't matter if your hand lining with a coke can as a reel or sitting in 50 K bass boat with 10 inch fish finders, we all have this in common, no age, backgrounds, money, intelligent, that one explain me the best...
Put altogether in a room of guys or girls who like, baseball , football , basketball, soccer, forget golf, that's not a sport...
If you'd ask any person about them self and you ask them if they fish... there's a instant bond. Fishing...

I might not agree with the way people go about there sport of fishing, but this is a open forum to a extent, and we all have our opinion right or wrong.

Edits for trying not to make sence...

Ray Lopez
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Ray, they don't flood out the basin like they would rice fields in Sacramento,
water follows the creek, some drains thru the rock strata and stays in what I guess could be describe as a underground lake,and they pump it back up for certain uses, drinking, irrigation, again water storage at any reservoir is just that, a place to store water until there's a need for it, it just so happens that by creating a lake big enough they are able to use the area for different use's, the State water resources dept. have deals with certain agencies and receive moneys for recreation to be provided to the public, fishing , boating, BUT... it all comes down to water is big money in a desert area like Southern Calf.
And as always, Fisherman and boater, are last on the list, beside current, which is what happens when they dump water into or out of the upper or lower is a good thing, it gets thing stirred up and gets fish active, be just like tidal movement at the Delta.
But If those bastard would just leave it alone for a while to let the fish adjust to a certain depth.
If any of you ever have time, take the tour at Pyramid Vista del Lagos facility, it would explain a lot about our water resources in So. Calif.

Lower Lake Castaic, can be awesome and it can suck, huge fish in there, to catch them take's knowledge and most important is time on the water, guys like Butch, Pat, Rob F. spend a lot of time there, but they also know when to be there. They catch a lot of big fish the general public doesn't hear about, Butch's video's are cool but if he posted his conquests on a daily basis guys on this board wouldn't bother to post there cell phone pic's of sub sized fish, I guess everyone wants to be on the Pro team, but for every public post of fish caught there,next time you'll get to your spot and there be 20 dude hitting your water...
Fishing is a sport that deals with water, outdoors and the challenge of teasing a fish that you can't see to bite a hook, however dressed, doesn't matter if your hand lining with a coke can as a reel or sitting in 50 K bass boat with 10 inch fish finders, we all have this in common, no age, backgrounds, money, intelligent, that one explain me the best...
Put altogether in a room of guys or girls who like, baseball , football , basketball, soccer, forget golf, that's not a sport...
If you'd ask any person about them self and you ask them if they fish... there's a instant bond. Fishing...

I might not agree with the way people go about there sport of fishing, but this is a open forum to a extent, and we all have our opinion right or wrong.

Edits for trying not to make sence...

HUH??

lol

not to sure what your saying but i agree

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
HUH??

lol

not to sure what your saying but i agree

: ) I've heard of happy feet....this is happy fingers typin

Hitts0n
01-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Im glad to see you are getting back on the waters.Hope to fish with you soon.Im going to Upper Tuesday for stripers.I know everyone saying nothing is biting but its free to get in so I dont care...lol
Im doing my skunk fest now also so I can get them out of the way.
Hopefully the winds will be ok.I just got my lmb gear/tackle out about 2 hours ago.I just want to catch and release a few just to say I cought some this year.Great report.