PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Channel Islands area this weekend

GARYC
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I plan on going on a boat trip this weekend. The fish counts are low. But, since I'm a rookie this year, I still want to go and find out for myself if it is worth the $65. Any advice on fishing Channel Islands/Ventura countyline in Jan.? Or the outlook for the next few months?
Thanks for any info.
Gary

Ricky-Ray
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Check and see if the landings are running boat's up there right now. Most of the landings in that area are not running boats right now cuz rockfish season is closed, and that's usually their main bread and butter for fishing. WSB and yellowtail would be later in the year.

If the boat's do go out you will most likely be fishing for bass and sculpins.

cappo
01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Dang it Ricky Ray beat me to it.
Dont know what else is going on up there. Also keep an eye on the weather.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=PZZ650

GARYC
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
That is what they're catching, surface fishing for calico, WSB, Halfmoon, Sculpin and even says Hailbut. I know rockfish is closed. Some boats are still going out, went last Sat and this weekend. Last fish count was 14 anglers and the fish count was only 16 fish! I'm going anyways, I have not been skunked yet (but have came home with only 1 fish twice before this past summer.

exfactor
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Fish the surf perch instead. They are happening now.

Cangler
01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I know Capt Hooks is suposed to be doing halibut trips , but im giving
my rods a rest until March .

Its a shame , the rockfish fishing is always so good out there ...

The WSB will be back early spring :)

GARYC
01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
I know Capt Hooks is suposed to be doing halibut trips , but im giving
my rods a rest until March .

Its a shame , the rockfish fishing is always so good out there ...

The WSB will be back early spring :)

When I asked the guy at CIsportfishing what they are fishing for, he also said
WSB. I find this confusing from reading the 2009 sport fishing book. However, for WSB season it gives all these directional lines that I don't understand. Are they or are they not in season in this area. BTW, looks like it may be windy this weekend as it is this morning here in Ventura county. May have to cancel.

Ricky-Ray
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM
You can catch WSB right now. I'm not too sure if the limit is one or three. The WSB's are there is just that given the time frame of the year they usually don't bite. If you do happen to get one then your lucky. It's like catching a yellowtail at Catalina during the winter. They are there but it's hard to get one.

Spring is usually more of the time to catch WSB. That's when they are usually spawning and will eat just about anything and everything.

achan618
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
I wanted to see if people had a better experience fishing from the Captain Hook landing or Channel Islands landing. I will be staying at a resort nearby and wanted to go do some deep sea fishing. They most likely fish the same areas so I'm looking to see which one seems to have a better boat, crew, etc... Thanks!

Cangler
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
I wanted to see if people had a better experience fishing from the Captain Hook landing or Channel Islands landing. I will be staying at a resort nearby and wanted to go do some deep sea fishing. They most likely fish the same areas so I'm looking to see which one seems to have a better boat, crew, etc... Thanks!

Avoid CISCO like the plague , just roll with Captain Hooks and they
will look after you ...