PDA

View Full Version : Come Hell Or High Prado

Dan_the_Man
01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
So here I am last night sold that I'm fishin The Pudd this morning. But there was that nagging pit in my stomache that said "NO, It's all Bass n' Carp food they plant there !":BabbleFish:

That was it, I needed a change of pace. I noted the surrounding area and decided Prado. Never been there, why not.:Idea:

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/djslider64/2009_0107_083555AA.jpg

Entrance is Mon - Wed / $5.00 for the car / $5.00 to fish
Thursdays ( every Thur ) Stocked with 1000 lbs sizable Trout and Fishing is Prohibited.
Fri - Sun / $7.00 for the car / $7.00 to fish
They allow 5 fish limit on EACH species / exception / Unlimited Catfish, Carp & Bluegil

So it's 6:30 am and I venture into the first dam and spoke with a Brian. He comes out to Catch & Release only. He says he never walks out of the park without having fished his limit.:Applause:

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/djslider64/2009_0107_083514AA.jpg

I carry on to the Snack Bar area. Yikes, there was a daunting crew of fishers there, things were not looking good.:Bug Eyes:

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/djslider64/2009_0107_083439AA.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/djslider64/2009_0107_083627AA.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/djslider64/2009_0107_083651AA.jpg

I cast in a spot nearby there with Green Powerbait and a Bouyant lure on the other rod. The first cast of the lure and there comes a nibble, then next cast a trout follows it to shore.!! Ok whats the potential here? Mysteriously there was nothing after for the better part of an hour.:Fishing Hole:

I moved to the back of the lake. Slung the backpack on, the chair, the rods. I walked back behind the spillway and into the narrows a bit, outside the park area. Looks good but nada for 30min plus.:No Pity:

Hiked back and found the nearest parking lot to the lake and sat my Dairy-Air ( like the smell in the wind there ) down to a comfortable shoreline.:Rolls Eyes:

Met two fishermen Darryl & Donnie. Darryl boasted a 16in 2.5 lb Rainbow. Donnie had skunk and I quickly realized that he was wingin it and needed some assistance. Darryl was giving him tips and I cast into open water.:Fishing Hole:

After some time I changed the lure out for a bait setup. Had Green on for a bit on both then went Capt America on one. Darryl had some sauce and I decided to dip and try it. I'm casting and Darryl pulls in another Rainbow even larger. :Fishing Catch: Next to me on the opposite side are another couple guys 30 yards away with a 3 lb Catfish on the stringer. Then they holler "Fish please Net". Yes english was a second language but Darryl knew what to do, he had the only net. :Shocked: Those gentlemen landed two more after. One Cat and Two Rainbow at their days end.:Big Grin:

* After that hiking around I left the camera in the car / sorry no pics of the fish *

I thought, "you know if I don't catch anything today, It's worth the trip out here knowing there are fish and .... people catching nice sized ones at that.":Thumbs Up:

Then my line was dippin ! I reeled in a nice 2.5 lb Catfish. Well, well this is fishy, why haven't I been here sooner? :Fishing Catch:

The day ended and Donnie was rigged wrong / had the wrong Lbs Line on / Had both his rods with the line starting through the hook holder at the bottom. Enough, theres more, I just gave him the Catfish I had and he was very pleased. I helped Darryl fix his rods then we all packed up and went our separate ways. :Applause:

My thought leaving.... Come Hell or High Prado, I'm going back !!:My Two Cents:

smitty99
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I like the story Dan. Keep it up and get em next time!!

PureAle
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
this is an awesome report, detailed story and pics keep em coming!:Beer Toast:

PureAle

Manny
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Prado has its good and bad days....Next time try fishing by the bubble hole (aerator) that spot is $$$$. I gotta make my way there this season. I really liked fishing there til I discovered Jurupa. Both parks get stocked by state DFG and county so there's usually nice sized fish as well as dinks.

P.S. I was at Turners in Corona tonight, the guy behind the counter was also fishing Prado today. Wonder if you guys met.

CASTAWAY
01-07-2009, 10:30 PM
:Applause:
Good report and nice pix.........

troutdog
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Great report Dan, loved the shots of all those cormorants....always a sure sign there are fish to be had! I know a spot or two on that lake, hit me up sometime and we can slay some trout!

Keep the reports coming buddy, great thread title btw :LOL:

TD

Dan_the_Man
01-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I know a spot or two on that lake, hit me up sometime and we can slay some trout!

You got it brudda .... Let's mark that around two weeks from now on a Friday if not a Saturday, EARLY if your able.

Haven't seen you in a while, hope your doing well and say hi to your daughter. We have to get together soon.

troutdog
01-07-2009, 10:59 PM
You got it brudda .... Let's mark that around two weeks from now on a Friday if not a Saturday, EARLY if your able.

Haven't seen you in a while, hope your doing well and say hi to your daughter. We have to get together soon.

If you are thinking around the 23rd or 24th that just might work, I'll get your digits from Binger and I'll let you know for sure!

Thank you for the regards, I'll let LiLTD know Dan "the cool harley dude" says hello!

Happy New Year Dan,

TD

SoCaL_Ep3
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
hey, where is this prado lake located? thx

bigblant
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
On Highway 83, south of Highway 60 and north of Highway 91 in Chino
Address: 16700 S. Euclid Ave., Chino, CA 91708
Telephone: (909) 597-4260
Fax: (909) 393-8428

troutdog
01-07-2009, 11:09 PM
hey, where is this prado lake located? thx

Google is my best friend :Wink:
http://www.socalcarpclub.com/prado.html

TD

Senor Rambone
01-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Great report! Thanks for the interesting read. Prado rocks!!!! Thats all I have to say . FISH AND YOU WILL CATCH!!! I