PDA

View Full Version : Quality issues with Power Pro 50#

Tail Chaser
01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I was doing some research on Power Pro 50lb braided line.
Seems quite a few people were having breakage problems well below the rated break point.
It was only the 50# test that had the problems.

Has anyone else heard of quality control problems with the 50# Power Pro?

fuj
01-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I recall reading somewhere about fake Power Pro (http://www.powerpro.com/press/news/details.asp?PP_PRESS_NEWS_ID=23) being of poor quality. I can't say I've ever experienced poor quality with Power Pro that I have used in the past. But I don't use it anymore except for occasional bottom fishing because I don't like the waxy coating. BTW, Innovative Textiles, the makers of Power Pro, has been purchased by Shimano.

Tail Chaser
01-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the info fuj.
Was thinking of using Power Pro 50# on a Saltist 30 With a sliding sinker setup.
Using 30# mono now.
Didnt want to risk any breakage issues with the Power Pro 50#

That Dang Guy
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I personally like powerpro, but the shock rating is pretty low. It breaks above it's rating and like most spectra breaks much lower than the same mono/fluoro class. This is due to it's poor shock absorbance. I have a feeling if you talk to alot of people who have issues with it, the breakage occurs during the cast. I've never had any problem with it anywhere else.

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info.
I was considering maybe Sufix braid.
The Saltist 30 is mounted on a Calstar 700M.
Will be throwing some iron with it sometimes.

Ive got a Saltist 40 on a 700 H with 65# Power Pro.
Maybe that would be better for throwing iron ocasionally?

Maybe just stay with the 30# Mono on the Saltist 30?
Its been a pretty good Butt catcher.

Fishing is such a confusing hobby.
No wonder I like dirt bikes more :LOL:

Ricky-Ray
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I had some problems with power pro when I first started using it. I didn't like that waxy feeling on there too. Tended to clump up also. After 2 trips with it I dumped it and put Izorline on there and never had a problem since. I've got Izor spectra on all my reels now and that's about 20 reels and Izor hasn't failed on me yet.

wowitsayellow
01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't fish the PP it breaks, knot set is a mess, and the coating sucks... PP is boo boo... Izor is the only spectra I fish...

Tight lines...

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys,
Izorline it will be.

sesgia
01-10-2009, 12:14 AM
power pro is ok the problem is that most of the knot you/or tie the wax coating make it's slip off. as for casting is too stiff because of the wax
the best spectra out there are Izorline, daiwa Samurai Braided i think.
if you want even better go with Hollow Spectra
but when shopping for them try to find out how many stran are weave together average are 4 some are 6 and 8 the best one i seen so far are 12 or 16 those are hollow spectra

tmartin
01-10-2009, 12:54 AM
I agree with everyone that Izor is one of the top three. I use Izor and Jerry Brown, I haven't tried Blackwater but it has great reviews.

sesgia
01-10-2009, 12:58 AM
I agree with everyone that Izor is one of the top three. I use Izor and Jerry Brown, I haven't tried Blackwater but it has great reviews.

you should try the Backwater is very good and nice if you think the 12x is good
wait till you try the 16x but just remember Backwater is very $$$

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I tried every thing on the market, being a braid freak, all my fishing from ultra lite to my bay,and jetty fishing consist of 8lb rated 2lb dia to 20lb rated 8lb. Dia. . Crystal fireline gets the knod. Ive had the same line for 2yr on my fresh ,and salt water stuff and havent had a problem unlike when i tried powerpro.i like a triple surgens knot to connect my 8 ft of leader .ive never broke off at the connection.

Tail Chaser
01-10-2009, 08:52 AM
A year ago seems lots of people on the fishing forums were using Power Pro.
Recently when i did a search for.... Best quality braided fishing line.
The results came up with Power Pro all the time.
The results also led me to the 50# Quality control issues with the Power Pro.:Cool:
Some of them people switched to the Suffix braid.

My search for best braid never came up with the Jerry Brown, Izorline, etc
Good thing I didn't spool my favorite rod/reel with the bad stuff.

Now if I could just stop researching and upgrading all my fishing Gear/Boat and actually go out fishing :Embarrassed::LOL:

dockboy
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
To me Power Pro has never been a problem. However, I use Izorline for my backing on saltwater setups. For freshwater or bottom fishing with a leader, I like the handling qualities of PP. But for setups where handling is less of an issue than spool capacity or casting distance, I prefer Izorline. But remember all braid will eventually break. I seen tons of guys break off a big freshwater bass swimbait cuz they were throwing braid. A big chunk of weight puts a lot shock on a line when stopped prematurely during a cast. Thats where mono saves you. No stretch in braid means you dont have the shock resistance when you screw up a cast.

Nessie Hunter
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I have used 30# to 80# Power Pro for years (5)...
No problems at all....

It should last 10+ yrs with min maintenance....
That was an estimate a few yrs ago.. It hadnt been on the market long enough to establish a true time line yet.....

:ROFL::ROFL:
I tried it on big swimbaits ONE time... :ROFL:
Never again......

sansou
01-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Not to belabor this Power Pro thread more than it needs, but....

Let me preface this and state upfront: Personally, I hate Power Pro the times I used it and tried it on other people's setups. I think its waxy and knots slip.

I was at Squidco Tackle (here in SD) getting my Avet Pro 30 spooled, among other things. The owner was there when I asked for 100# Line One (JB) or if they had 135# Izor. The owner then asked me why those 2 choices of line and not Power Pro (as it would save me some $$). I gave him my 2 main complaints about Power Pro.

Well, according to this pretty well respected angler/tackle store owner (respected here in SD at least): the company that owns Power Pro is also the same company that sells / manufactures for the other guys who claim they spin their own strands. Besides, the diameter length of Power Pro compared to the other guys (Izor, JB etc..) is smaller. In addition, the popular green Izor spectra (which I am fond of for 50# and 65#) bleeds on to your mono (this is true). Last, at 100# or more, Power Pro has the highest breaking ratio of any of the currently spun strands, which accounts for why they only sell 100# then 150#, whereas everyone else has ratings in between. I thought all that was interesting....assuming it is true.

Having read and heard from others (ie. Charkbait, fishing magazines, here on FNN) I am still skeptical, even though I think Mr. Squidco definately knows what he is talking about and is well regarded here. Perhaps I'm a sucker, compounded with the fact that I can be a cheapskate, I went and spooled up 400 yards of 100# white PP for $55. I wanted some hollow stuff, but was talked out of crimping or splicing since it would be running through guides and not rollers on my particular rod.

Regardless of whether PP allegedly has all the positive properties Mr. Squidco claims, I still won't fish it for 80# or less (the Avet Pro 30 is being used as a troller & rockcodder for now) I can't stand the waxy feel and how it comes off my spool when I cast jigs with it (stiffness seems to make my spool overun a little more) & how I have to tie a double SD just to make sure a knot won't slip. PITA.

...and for the skeptics out there that think I just got bamboozled for a quick $50 PP sale, keep in mind I've been going to that store for a long while and they know my face. They know I don't need to be "sold" anything, cause I spend money there pretty darn regularly.....unfortunately!

sesgia
01-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Not to belabor this Power Pro thread more than it needs, but....

Let me preface this and state upfront: Personally, I hate Power Pro the times I used it and tried it on other people's setups. I think its waxy and knots slip.

I was at Squidco Tackle (here in SD) getting my Avet Pro 30 spooled, among other things. The owner was there when I asked for 100# Line One (JB) or if they had 135# Izor. The owner then asked me why those 2 choices of line and not Power Pro (as it would save me some $$). I gave him my 2 main complaints about Power Pro.

Well, according to this pretty well respected angler/tackle store owner (respected here in SD at least): the company that owns Power Pro is also the same company that sells / manufactures for the other guys who claim they spin their own strands. Besides, the diameter length of Power Pro compared to the other guys (Izor, JB etc..) is smaller. In addition, the popular green Izor spectra (which I am fond of for 50# and 65#) bleeds on to your mono (this is true). Last, at 100# or more, Power Pro has the highest breaking ratio of any of the currently spun strands, which accounts for why they only sell 100# then 150#, whereas everyone else has ratings in between. I thought all that was interesting....assuming it is true.

Having read and heard from others (ie. Charkbait, fishing magazines, here on FNN) I am still skeptical, even though I think Mr. Squidco definately knows what he is talking about and is well regarded here. Perhaps I'm a sucker, compounded with the fact that I can be a cheapskate, I went and spooled up 400 yards of 100# white PP for $55. I wanted some hollow stuff, but was talked out of crimping or splicing since it would be running through guides and not rollers on my particular rod.

Regardless of whether PP allegedly has all the positive properties Mr. Squidco claims, I still won't fish it for 80# or less (the Avet Pro 30 is being used as a troller & rockcodder for now) I can't stand the waxy feel and how it comes off my spool when I cast jigs with it (stiffness seems to make my spool overun a little more) & how I have to tie a double SD just to make sure a knot won't slip. PITA.

...and for the skeptics out there that think I just got bamboozled for a quick $50 PP sale, keep in mind I've been going to that store for a long while and they know my face. They know I don't need to be "sold" anything, cause I spend money there pretty darn regularly.....unfortunately!

I agree PP have a wax coating on it:Evil: when casting is not good at all the line is too stiff. 60% of the time i tie my knot it slip (i wrap the line over 60 times) to be safe and still slip. for splicing the line i like to use izor and blackwater

dodoman
01-17-2009, 08:13 AM
yes, i had a problem with 50lb spectra power pro.

now i am moving to samurai .

snag
01-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Used 65# PP once and never again...thankfully the swimmy was a floater, got that one back.

Samurai 70# works great...and a single or double SD Jam holds perfect.