PDA

View Full Version : Swimbaits

steve092
01-07-2009, 06:34 AM
I finally spent up some saving to buy a swimbait setup, now I just need some swimbaits!! I have a few large swimbaits, a Z-plug (I think that is what it is called), and a Storm swimbait. I do have some other smaller swimbaits, but what I want to know, is what kind should I buy? I'm mostly interested in the big baits like the BBZ. What do you guys recommend? And also, I have 20 lb line on my reel, should I up the line? Thanks in advance for any tips!

matt duarte
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
swimbaits is where is it dude! BBZ floater and the slowsink are a must, the huddleston trout, ac minnow, LUNKER PUNKER, triple trout. And theres a lot of custom ones out there 2 last chance bait and tackle in hemet has a bunch of swimbaits the bpss doesnt even think of carring.. Check out my simbait thread in the tackle section.. I have a few im making as well

good luck dude

matt duarte
01-07-2009, 07:36 AM
oh ya i forgot... I use 30lb test... Ive seen bbz and hudds snap 25lb so i stick with 30.. Havent had a problem with it yet... What swimbait setup did you get?

steve092
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
oh ya i forgot... I use 30lb test... Ive seen bbz and hudds snap 25lb so i stick with 30.. Havent had a problem with it yet... What swimbait setup did you get?

I bought some 20 lb floro coated line, so I'll have to throw some 30 lb when I can. Do you ever use braid?

I bought a Shimano Crucial 7'11" Extra Heavy Swimbait rod and the Cardiff 400.

steve092
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
swimbaits is where is it dude! BBZ floater and the slowsink are a must, the huddleston trout, ac minnow, LUNKER PUNKER, triple trout. And theres a lot of custom ones out there 2 last chance bait and tackle in hemet has a bunch of swimbaits the bpss doesnt even think of carring.. Check out my simbait thread in the tackle section.. I have a few im making as well

good luck dude

I'll definitely pick up a BBZ Slow sink and probably a Hudd Trout.

BTW, I saw the video the action of one of your custom swimbaits and that thing swims pretty darn realistically!

Rob D
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
since this is your only swimbait set-up use 25 # mono for the bbz and hudds and this will allow you to throw top water baits like the lunker punker also since mono floats. You will soon learn you need multiple swimbait set-ups. You can use braid for top water baits like the punker. I also use braid for a la slider rig with a 25#flouro leader. You have a nice setup to get you going.

Fisher-Fly
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey Guys, Do you use scent on your swim baits. I was just wondering ?

Rob D
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
sometimes I do and sometimes I dont. I dont think it will get you more hits since swimbaits are mainly a reaction bite. The scent can just help on the hookset. It allows the bait to slide in the fishes mouth.

BingJr
01-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I would list em in this order -

Triple Trout (Size Preference up to you)
Lunker Punker - Id go for the big dog.
BBZ - SS
Hudd

This is of course like which is your favorite buger and fires, highly subjective. But if you have these 4 in your arsenal you will have the tools if the fish are in the SB mood.

tacklejunkie
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Steve,
be careful using Fluoro on swimbaits. It has no stretch and may break easy. Get some 25lb P-line CXX mono next time. Expensive but worth it.

Definitely get a SS BBZ and a ROF12 Hudd.

I do use certain scents on my BBZ's and Hudds, but I don't think it matters much. In some cases I believe too much scent can be a bad thing, but that's just me.

steve092
01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Steve,
be careful using Fluoro on swimbaits. It has no stretch and may break easy. Get some 25lb P-line CXX mono next time. Expensive but worth it.

It's not 100% fluoro, it is just fluoro coated. I will probably pick up some 30lb mono this weekend just to be on the safe side.

matt duarte
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
the punker is a awesome bait i have 2 of them one trout and the other is albino both are the big dogs...go big or go home right... i still need to get some triple trouts... tax returns commin up ill proly get 2 10"ers and 2 8"ers in different patterns...

nice setup by the way dude im jelious! im using a POS saltwater rod and reel... it works for now but i defently need to upgrade