PDA

View Full Version : penn reel

Halibut Dude
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
i am wondering how much this cost??? hope i didn't get ripped off lol and if it is any good ???
it says no.209 something like that :)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k236/slayerdw/DSCI0275.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k236/slayerdw/DSCI0274.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k236/slayerdw/DSCI0273.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k236/slayerdw/DSCI0272.jpg

Halibut Dude
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
yup yup yup

lalo56
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Yah you got ripped off from the figures you gave.

Halibut Dude
01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Yah you got ripped off from the figures you gave.

what are you talking about?

lalo56
01-06-2009, 11:16 PM
lol... Simply saying you didnt state how much you paid for it. I was being sarcastic.

Halibut Dude
01-06-2009, 11:21 PM
lol... Simply saying you didnt state how much you paid for it. I was being sarcastic.

yea i know
i was being sarcastic too >.< it was 2 bucks at a yard sale lol

Liteliner
01-07-2009, 01:15 AM
It looks like a jigmaster. I started off deep sea fishing with those. They arent all that bad. In 96 they sold for probably 50 bucks if i remember right. I've landed quite a few yellowtail and albies on those when I was young. I fished mines for two years til my pops bought me a shimano calcutta as a present for graduating high school. I never touched the jigmasters after that though.

Its a good reel to start off with if your new to the deep sea scene and for two bucks you cant go wrong. Just needs some tlc.

Nessie Hunter
01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
The 209 is a level wind reel... Think Jigmaster with level wind...
OK for bottom/rock fishing with the level wind, but suck big time for any casting...

$2 you got a good deal.......
I have bought them used, 10 or more at a time (bulk) for $10 each...
R&R them and sell or donate them for $25+ depending on the Model..

They are work horses (will get the job done) for 20# line.... With little investment of $$.

The Penns have a multi part frame (old school) and not very strong...
End caps are held in place by rods that go over spool and held in place by screws, this allows for Twist under pressure. Twist will disengage or bind gears and possibly grenade or strip them? Or at very least bind the spool against frame/ends.....

If the drag is even semi smooth (should start & stop without jumping and smooth) and gears all work OK, Anti reverse "always" works/engages (they have a tendency to work when they want to)..
Then it is usable for up to 20# to 25# line... Drag will give you up to 9# or so if it works OK.

I just went Through 2 Penns for Bruce W.. Nice for what he uses them for.. Penn 10 for the kids & Jig for him???

I just came across a Long Beach 65.. *New In the Box*....!!!!!
I am going to sell it, so if any one wants it (super collector item) PM me an offer...
Owners papers in the Box are dated 1979 (copyright date)....

sansou
01-07-2009, 08:04 AM
What you got there is a no frills leadcore reel, big enough to hold the 18lb stuff. Put it on a heavy bass stick and you're good to go for the deep fresh!

Cangler
01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I've had jigmasters for 30 years , just avoid the ones with plastic spools ..

CraigH
01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
The 209 is a level wind reel... Think Jigmaster with level wind...
OK for bottom/rock fishing with the level wind, but suck big time for any casting...

I agree with Nessie. From the picture it looks like the reel has a chrome plated metal spool? If so, that's the worst possible spool to cast with.

I don't recall the gear ratio on this reel, but its probably pretty low by today's standards. I'd suggest using it for lead core trolling or bottom/rock fishing with spectra. The level wind will keep the spectra from tearing up your hands.

Ricky-Ray
01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Penn 209 Level wind reel. Real good workhorse reel for rockfishing for sure. I use to have one till I gave it away to a starting angler. If I remember correctly the gear ratio was around 3.0 to 1. It was built like a tank, took alot of beatings and kept on going. If you got it for 2 bucks it was 2 bucks well worth it.

I didn't like the original handle so the guys at the shop I go to upgraded the handle for me and it was only 10 bucks and it made a WORLD of difference.

On Ebay they've been going for around 20-40 bucks average if it's not in MINT condition. You definitely got a great deal for sure.

fishtales
01-07-2009, 11:32 AM
yea i know
i was being sarcastic too >.< it was 2 bucks at a yard sale lol

HD, Is your question how much can I sell this for? If you paid 2 bucks at a garage sale and you are asking if you got ripped off? Saaaawhat?

Halibut Dude
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
HD, Is your question how much can I sell this for? If you paid 2 bucks at a garage sale and you are asking if you got ripped off? Saaaawhat?

no i just wanted to known if it is any good to use >.< and the price since i got it so cheap

Ricky-Ray
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Heck, if you don't want it, I'll give you 2 bucks for it.

Liteliner
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Heck, if you don't want it, I'll give you 2 bucks for it.

Ricky Ricky Ricky... :ROFL:

CraigH
01-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Penn 209 Level wind reel. Real good workhorse reel for rockfishing for sure. I use to have one till I gave it away to a starting angler. If I remember correctly the gear ratio was around 3.0 to 1. It was built like a tank, took alot of beatings and kept on going. If you got it for 2 bucks it was 2 bucks well worth it.

So for the "oldies" its what you would call a "John Cameron Swayze" - it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. You have to be at least 45 and remember the old timex watch commercials ...

Cangler
01-07-2009, 12:50 PM
You know , come to think of it , i used to use one of those with a
solid glass rod years and years ago ....