PDA

View Full Version : I plan on going San Pedro, kayak style.

Darius
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello friends, i've been going to puddingstone lately, and haven't been catching jack, other than sun burn. So i'm going salt water fishing! Off to San Pedro, i plan on sticking in the break water, i haven't been to San Pedro for a while, but i remember the bait dock, the jetty's rocks etc. But question is where should i launch my kayak? Any tips to where to fish around the break water? Also think i should use a anchor? Thanks - Darius.

mg2969
01-06-2009, 09:55 PM
from bloody decks (regarding san pedro bait)

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/inshore-islands-fishing-reports-southern-california-usa/130461-bait-barge-report.html

temporarily moved the barge to berth 57 in San Pedro where it will be for apporoximately two weeks for some maintenance and improvements. Berth 57 is due north of the barge's normal location outside Cabrillo Beach. It's the first channel west of the main channel in L.A. Harbor. We will continue to be available 24/7 and seven days a week. Radio reception may be slightly limited back there, but you can be assured that we will be there and have live bait.

I would launch from the boat ramp

You also might check out
http://baytuber.informe.com

FISHNFOOL9
01-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Better yet fish Newport Bay. Any place you can park and access the water you can launch no problem.
The fishing there has been "ok".
Wait till spring for yak fishing the Pudd, by then it will be off the hook(but dont tell anyone!!!)

Do not use an anchor, you will only be asking for trouble.

Darius
01-07-2009, 09:33 AM
thanks guys, on the other hand i shouldn't anchor? Because, it may get stuck? And sink my kayak? Whats the deal.

yakfu
01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
i usually launch from the beach by the peir. I work my way right around the bend in the jetty and cross the channel over to the middle wall......Most of my action took place there on the inside wall.

gabe2008
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Darius,
The easiest place to launch in carbillo is the boat launch. You can also launch at the beach by the pier, which will save you some paddling, but it's a little more troublesome.
Since the bait barge was moved for some work, you should make your own bait at the pier. Perch and smelt will do fine, and take some bread to throw in the water. Its worked for me.

I just finished installing my transducer on my yaki. A pin popped off so I replaced the transducer and the power cable. I'll be hitting the pudd thurs morning for a couple of hours to test the FF and just paddle

Oh yeah, do not anchor. If anything use a drift chute.

Good luck

Gabe

Darius
01-11-2009, 09:42 AM
if the weather permits, i'm going full speed to San Pedro, so if anyone wants to meet up, i'll be on my kayak- Darius. Oh yah tuesday is the day the 13th of JAN