PDA

View Full Version : irvine lake weeds..

lilmystery246
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
hey as i said i went to irvine lake for the first time and caught 4 trout but what sucks about the lake is i kept getting snagged. im not saying the lake sucks or anything. and im wondering why is trout island such a good spot? i didnt get the chance to fish there since there were too much people. is there alot of weeds at trout island?

troutdog
01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Weeds are starting to die off all around the lake, now that they have been underwater for a few weeks it keeps getting better everyday. TroutIsland has a nice dropoff and is a natural highway that the stocked fish tend to follow. Get there EARLY if you want the prime spots though!

Good luck out there,

TD

old pudd fisher
01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Nice fishin 4 trout is a good day. But all the people...! no thanks. Hope you don't put them on your moms kitchen floor like you did in your last post.

GET DA NET
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
hey as i said i went to irvine lake for the first time and caught 4 trout but what sucks about the lake is i kept getting snagged. im not saying the lake sucks or anything. and im wondering why is trout island such a good spot? i didnt get the chance to fish there since there were too much people. is there alot of weeds at trout island?

What area were you fishing?

lilmystery246
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
What area were you fishing?

umm before getting to trout island i made a right and went down to the lake

GET DA NET
01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
umm before getting to trout island i made a right and went down to the lake

sounds like santiago flats, i havent fished the flats since catfish season and it was kinda weedy. i see you signed up for the 09 @ the vine event, word of advice if you wanna get a good spot get there really early. Me and Primo55 typically arrive around 4-4:15am and theres always 10-20 cars in line already.

lilmystery246
01-05-2009, 10:27 PM
sounds like santiago flats, i havent fished the flats since catfish season and it was kinda weedy. i see you signed up for the 09 @ the vine event, word of advice if you wanna get a good spot get there really early. Me and Primo55 typically arrive around 4-4:15am and theres always 10-20 cars in line already.

yes thats the place. and thanks for the advice im probibly going to camp there to be first at trout island =]

Koshaw
01-06-2009, 06:03 AM
You can also use those tapering weedless weights they seem to help. Another thing would be to go to high quality 2-3lb test or 4-6lb fluorocarbon test line. So if you snag you can break off the weeds with out breaking your line. I always seem to catch fish on 4lb fluoro as the fish cant see it (it is also VERY abrasion resistant and is not affected by UV. You can also keep it on your reel for many many months without respooling. People in tournaments find they dont have to replace it often at all I have read). I also find I dont have to reknot using fluorocarbon. You can catch your limit and not have to retie. Every several times I go out I respool my mono. Of course mono is cheaper ;).

The Fred Hall show is coming up in March, you can get inbetween test lines readily there for cheap (2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 etc).