PDA

View Full Version : Thai Coconut Trout Soup

gavin310
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't have a recipe since I just winged it, but this was pretty damn good. I took the idea behind Thai Coconut Chicken soup but used trout instead (1 16" trout, cooked and broken into quarter inch by 1/8th inch chunks). Basically I took a few cans of chicken broth, a can of coconut milk, water, white vinegar, some cilantro, a jalapeno, fresh sliced ginger, salt, about 6 hard dashes of garlic salt, tiny bit of sugar, lime juice, white onions, mushrooms, and black pepper. Turns out you were supposed to put the coconut milk in last, but I didn't do that and it came out fine. I brought the chicken broth, coconut milk, lime juice, vinegar, onions, half of the jalapeno, a litlte bit of the cilantro, and sliced ginger to a boil and then then let it simmer for a bit. Then I put in the mushrooms, the other half of the jalapeno, the mushrooms, and the pre-cooked trout and let it sit for a couple minutes (mushrooms cook pretty fast, and cilantro gets mushy real quick, so just a few minutes) and served.

I used a little too much water or chicken broth, but the day after it was perfect. If you've never had thai chicken soup, it's tangy and tastes really good. It goes very well with trout.

Oz
01-05-2009, 10:35 PM
sounds good man..will have to give this a try some time since i love thai food and the soups like tom kha and tom yum. i was just curious have u ever tried using the thai chili instead of jalapenos???

gavin310
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
sounds good man..will have to give this a try some time since i love thai food and the soups like tom kha and tom yum. i was just curious have u ever tried using the thai chili instead of jalapenos???

nope haven't tried that. i was looking for some type of asian chili but all Ralphs had was jalapenos :mad:

Oz
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
:LOL: cuz u shopping at ralphs homie :LOL:

try albertsons. they are good at having ethnic foods or im sure they have to have some asian or ethnic markets near you...they always have the thai chilis.

gavin310
01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
:LOL: cuz u shopping at ralphs homie :LOL:

try albertsons. they are good at having ethnic foods or im sure they have to have some asian or ethnic markets near you...they always have the thai chilis.

yeah it was a pretty random decision for me to make soup so i wasn't really prepared. thanks for the tip on Albertsons :Wink: i don't cook much, but one thing i know is if you want to save money soup is the best thing to make. this soup cost like $9 for all the ingredients, not including the trout, and i've already had two dinners and have 2 more dinners left! not bad for a good healthy meal :Cool: i like cooking but i don't like cooking for just me...

Liteliner
01-06-2009, 05:37 PM
This sounds very close to Tom Yum Soup but on the mild side. If you can get your hands on some lemongrass and lime leafs id throw that in the pot aswell. I see my mom throw that into alot of the thai dishes she makes and damn its some good stuff. Gives it a great taste.

gavin310
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
This sounds very close to Tom Yum Soup but on the mild side. If you can get your hands on some lemongrass and lime leafs id throw that in the pot aswell. I see my mom throw that into alot of the thai dishes she makes and damn its some good stuff. Gives it a great taste.

awesome thanks i'll try that. are lime leaves just plain old leaves of a lime? :Big Grin:

Oz
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
i think they are called kaffir leaves but i could be wrong. i know they use that in alot of thaifood.

Liteliner
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
i think they are called kaffir leaves but i could be wrong. i know they use that in alot of thaifood.

Ahhhh you are right oz... You know your cooking stuff dont you... Yeah gavin this is like a must for many thai dishes.