PDA

View Full Version : Cabrillo Beach help

AL JUNIOR
01-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I live in the Inland Empire and don't get a chance to go to the ocean to often. My boy wants to fish the ocean. All we have is long trout poles with 4lb test line. Has anyone ever fished this area and have some tips. I'm thinking about picking up some mussels for bait and some Gulp sandcrabs from BPS. Cabrillo has a pier and a jetty right next to it. Thanks.

Fisherman57
01-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Im sure the Cabrillo pier area holds all the normal species.....

Mussel should attract most of them.... if you're gonna surf fish anywhere, try to fish the incoming tide.. so be sure to check the tide charts before ya head out!

Here's some other tips that may help. Good luck and be careful out there!!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

BIGRED KILLA
01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Fish the open water behind the pier Mussels will kill the pearch.Good luck

Bigred

victor101
01-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Ive been fishing cabrillo since i was a kid. I would suggest fishing the surf between the breakwall and the jetty at the end of the parking lot. Pick up some ghost shrimp and bloodworms if u can...mussels work but its hard to keep it on the hook. Pauls bait and tackle sells the ghosties and bloodworms. If you are going to fish the pier...the best spots are either the beginning of the pier for halibut and corbina or the very end for halis, smelt, macks, perch....etc. FYI its illegal to fish the breakwall. GOOD LUCK!

ghetto dad
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Ive been fishing cabrillo since i was a kid. I would suggest fishing the surf between the breakwall and the jetty at the end of the parking lot. Pick up some ghost shrimp and bloodworms if u can...mussels work but its hard to keep it on the hook. Pauls bait and tackle sells the ghosties and bloodworms. If you are going to fish the pier...the best spots are either the beginning of the pier for halibut and corbina or the very end for halis, smelt, macks, perch....etc. FYI its illegal to fish the breakwall. GOOD LUCK!

and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the word from the Cabrillo Beach Sparkplug Boyz leader, O.G. Vic

GD

AL JUNIOR
01-06-2009, 06:08 PM

Thank you and the others who responded to my post. We are going to head out there early Thursday morning then swing by Ports O Call for some delicious shrimp and try to make it back home before traffic gets too bad. Do you happen to know what time Paul's Bait and Tackle opens in the morning, I called and they are closed. No info on their voice message. I'll just call tomorrow. If you don't mind me asking...why is it illegal to fish the breakwall? I have a fishing license. Thanks again.

mg2969
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
from baytubers regarding Paul;s opening
" They are open at 5am every morning"

Illegal to fish the breakwall ?
Its actually the FEDERAL breakwall. Thus being federal property it is illegal to fish, walk on, look at, be near , think about, etc...
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Usually the harbor patrol helos and boats tell everybody to get off or risk being arrested.
DUring the summer they were out there every couple of hours on the weekends.
During the winter you probablly won't be bothered.
But a high tide could be dangerous.
Thats probablly the other reason,
safety...
especially with your boy

AL JUNIOR
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the breakwall. Now I know what to tell my kid if he asks me why he can't get on it. :-)

klocked
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Regarding Pauls Bait and tackle...... Sorry to say this but they are unreliable. It will be hit or miss with them. Since you're coming all the way from the IE, your best bet would be to stop by Big Fish Tackle on Seal Beach Blvd. & PCH. They open at 6am and carry Ghost shrimp if that is what you want to use for bait.

Since it is winter time, there should be some Pile perch around off the pier. I know this will sound strange but my son has had great success using nightcrawlers to catch perch there. The saltwater will cook the worms but usually they'll get chewed up by the perch before that happens. If you want to try nightcrawlers, you can get those at Big Fish Tackle also.

Last Monday, the 5th, the only fish we saw being caught on the pier were Pile perch, walleye perch, white croaker, smelt and queen fish.

Depending on how old your boy is, the rocks making up the short jetty aren't very fisherman friendly. My son is 9 and I don't take him out on it.

Best of luck to you guys,
Klocked

P.S.
Here's a pic of my son with a Pile perch for motivation.....

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/Im002536.jpg