PDA

View Full Version : WTB Handheld GPS

jim532
01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Looking for Handheld GPS unit, prefer color screen.
PM me

sgtskunk
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I've got a garmin GPS 72, it does not have the color screen but if your interested let me know. it's like new I've never used it I'll let it go for $65.

jim532
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks, I'm looking for just a bit more in features than what that model has. But I'll keep in mind you've got it.

beano
01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
What features are you looking for? I have purchased several for work and personel use( all garmin) and found a place online that has some good prices gpsnow.com. Ive used the vista hcx and 60 csx. The vista has some real great features and works well in most areas including pretty thick tree cover in the forests while still being pretty compact. The 60csx has many of the same feature but with a larger screen and external anttena port. I am by no means an expert but do use a gps pretty for mapping and locating pretty often. Hope this helps a little and also the web sight you have to put them in the cart to see the lower prices.

beano
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I forgot to mention both have color screens and have memory cards for loading topo maps or other such maps.

jim532
01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I forgot to mention both have color screens and have memory cards for loading topo maps or other such maps.

Basically I need one that will accept a memory card, and loading topo maps from the pc. Another feature I'd like to have is for it to alert me when I'm near or at a gps location that I have entered in to it so I don't have to be looking at it while hiking. I also want to be able to mark several locations and then when I get home upload them to the PC and be able to view them on a larger map for analysis.

I like the 60csx but it is a little pricey for me to buy it brand new.

beano
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Both units have those features with memory cards for topo maps and can both be downloaded to your pc. both are color screens, I think they have audio indicators when your near your location but not a 100%. The only topo programs that you can download onto a garmin gps is their topo program. You can work with it on your pc as well but I would recomend getting a Delorme topo program for your pc it has some really neat features and is 1:24,000 scale compared to the 1:100,000 scale of the garmin program. I dont know much about the new colorado or oregan units they have out, but have heard complaints about the touch screen models being damaged easily. I hope this was not confusing and helped out. Basically the u can only download the garmin programs on the gps but can use other programs on your pc that are much,much better.

rcfb73
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM
i got a garmin legend Hcx for christmas...no im not selling it but just givin some info that it is a pretty sweet little GPS for the price. its my first handheld GPS and im extremely satisified witht he versatility of it and the amount of functions that are possible on it. and it accepts micro SD cards.

off topic...anyone into geocaching? found that to be a pretty nice hobby lately.

jim532
01-09-2009, 08:45 AM
i got a garmin legend Hcx for christmas...no im not selling it but just givin some info that it is a pretty sweet little GPS for the price. its my first handheld GPS and im extremely satisified witht he versatility of it and the amount of functions that are possible on it. and it accepts micro SD cards.

off topic...anyone into geocaching? found that to be a pretty nice hobby lately.

Well, it looks like my cell phone contract is comming to an end soon, and I might get an iPhone 3G, it has a real GPS unit built in, and from looking at the iTunes app store I can just download a few programs that have all the features I want/need and then some, the app store has a whole section on Navigation and GPS software.