PDA

View Full Version : Broodstocks!!!

FreshandSalt
01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Anyone heard ANYTHING at all about the broodstock rainbows that are supposed to go into the Lower Owens River/Pleasant Valley Reservoir???

Anything at all?!?

Sierra_Smitty
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Anyone heard ANYTHING at all about the broodstock rainbows that are supposed to go into the Lower Owens River/Pleasant Valley Reservoir???

Anything at all?!?

Where did you hear that? I can't imagine there's any truth to it unless they're purging the Hot Creek hatchery of spawned out fish.

Last I heard the entire stock of brooders was killed over the summer........

TroutOnly
01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
The guys from the whitney hatchery told be just a little before the blake jones derby in the pvr like they usally do,,,

Joshua
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
i went by the Whitney Hatchery, The road is closed to the hatchery and there are signs posted by the Sheriff. Do not enter.
I dont imagine there are too many broodstock around as the Whitney hatchery was the source of the eggs and broodstock

retired96
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I am almost positive that I read that all the Broodstock and all of the fish were killed in the flash flood that hit Independence and the Mt. Whitney fish hatchery this past summer. The hatchery was basically ruined for a few years to come.

TroutOnly
01-06-2009, 07:30 AM
REALLY , IVE WORKED AT THE SITE TWICE THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS ,FOR THE MAIN MAN AND THE GAME WARDEN THERE,WHITNEY IS READY FOR FISH,ITS THE WATER SOURCE THEY ARE DEBATING WETHER TO STILL USE THE CREEK OR TO PUMP WELL WATER LIKE BLACK ROCK HATCHERY AND THE OTHER HACTHERY JUST NORTH OF TINNEMAHA, BOTH OF THOSE HATCHERYS HAVE BROODERS,YOU KNOW THAT CLOSED SIGN JOSH IT WAS PRETTY COOL GETTING TO DRIVE RIGHT AROUND IT LIKE IT WASNT THERE AND GET A PRIVATE TOUR OF THE WHOLE FACILTY,THE BEST PART WAS WALKING AROUND IN THE BIG VIEWING POND IN FRONT TO THE MAIN BUILDING GETTING AN IDEA OF WHAT THE TROUT SEE,,,troutonly

Sierra_Smitty
01-06-2009, 07:50 AM
I know for sure that all of the brooders at Whitney were killed over the summer...in fact the ponds and runs all were filled with mud or ran dry. However, that was over 6 months ago and I'm sure they've done a lot of rehab work since that time. It's good to hear that a spring source is a possibility...but hopefully the county will redirect the creek back through to the hatchery.

With 6 months to work on it, I wouldn't be surprised if they've moved a few of the brooders left at other hatcheries to Whitney. I just can't imagine that after losing all of what they had at Whitney, and Whitney was the big enchilada when it came to eggs, that they would have enough brooders to dump them in PVR and the Owens.

Does anyone have an article or something that has details on this rumor?

FreshandSalt
01-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, I have been keeping in touch with the guys at Hot Creek Hatchery and they keep saying any week now its a possibility that brooders will go in the owens/pvr. Ive heard this for over a month so just kind of wondering...

Sierra_Smitty
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, I have been keeping in touch with the guys at Hot Creek Hatchery and they keep saying any week now its a possibility that brooders will go in the owens/pvr. Ive heard this for over a month so just kind of wondering...

Hot Creek Fish, that makes sense...they can't really put them anywhere else but PVR and the Owens.

I haven't heard anything myself but I'll be back in Bishop for the remainder of the winter starting on the 14th so I'll get the skinny then. I'll make sure to post any 411 I get.

Thanks for the heads up...I forgot how easy it was to fall out of the loop, and I've only been gone a month! haha!

TroutOnly
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey smitty whitneys been ready for fish they have to wait for the water source problem to be worked out they dont want to open then have another flood and lose all there fish again,they have plenty of brooders all over the place ,the hacthery boss had told me they can get fish from many different places,but they were going to try to do what they usally do except the lawsuit is screwing things up,,,,they always put some brooders in the pvr before the derby sometimes alot sometimes only a few,,,,,,

WaterBound
01-06-2009, 09:59 PM

I second that. I cannot reveal sources but word on the streetz is that YES the broodstock will go in!!!

Sh1mano
01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Did somebody say Broodstock at PVR? Well here you go, one of DFG's infamous broods caught at PVR. If you look closely you can see the DFG tag stapled along its gill. I've caught a few up in these parts of the Sierra's and one thing for certain is this: They sure put up a a good fight! I'm glad to hear that they're back. I may have to pay Bishop a little visit.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/gdeguz1/Fishing/croppedpv.jpg

Sierra_Smitty
01-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey smitty whitneys been ready for fish they have to wait for the water source problem to be worked out they dont want to open then have another flood and lose all there fish again,they have plenty of brooders all over the place ,the hacthery boss had told me they can get fish from many different places,but they were going to try to do what they usally do except the lawsuit is screwing things up,,,,they always put some brooders in the pvr before the derby sometimes alot sometimes only a few,,,,,,

They have those damn snails in Hot Creek so those fish are banned from going anywhere but PVR and the Owens (and Crowley during the season) but if it weren't for those snails, I doubt there would be many brooders going in...they'd be restocking Whitney instead of dumping them in the PVR.

It's good to hear that things are looking up at Whitney nowadays....but....them being ready for fish is a silly thing for them to say (I assume you were talking with Bob Wakefield?) when the main issue isn't resolved...a little mud in the ponds and runs is pretty easy to fix with a Bobcat, but rerouting a creek is a more difficult, and expensive, and confusing on a government level because nobody wants to pay for it. Hopefully they'll have it all figured out soon enough. Despite his optimism, I'm willing to bet it will take a year or two to get the sufficient number of broodstock back at Whitney.

You must have been stoked to get to do work at the hatchery...that is an awesome place!!!

Sierra_Smitty
01-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Did somebody say Broodstock at PVR? Well here you go, one of DFG's infamous broods caught at PVR. If you look closely you can see the DFG tag stapled along its gill. I've caught a few up in these parts of the Sierra's and one thing for certain is this: They sure put up a a good fight! I'm glad to hear that they're back. I may have to pay Bishop a little visit.

Even without the Broodstock fish, the fishing in Bishop is likely to get pretty exciting in the next few months. The director of the Chamber of Commerce went to the County on Monday requesting funds to restart their winter Alpers stocking program in PVR and the Lower Owens. In Jan/Feb/Mar 2006 my brothers and I had multiple days where we all caught five or more Alpers each out of the Owens.....would LOVE to see fishing like that again!!!!

sb fishing
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Here's some more info, in the last month "DFG" has put in about 30k pounds of fish in the Bridgeport Res. They also said they were putting in b-stock in the res.

From what I hear all this fish were going into the Kern and now that they stopped planting that river most of the fish are coming to the Sierras from Bishop to Bridgeport.

I have seen the fish they put in the Res. all about 6-10" " sub-catchable this last month. Still waiting to see the bigger fish.

one_leg
01-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I wanna fish PVR real soon.

Sierra_Smitty
01-07-2009, 07:11 PM
From what I hear all this fish were going into the Kern and now that they stopped planting that river most of the fish are coming to the Sierras from Bishop to Bridgeport.

Wow, that is great news..for us at least, terrible news for the Kern folks. What would really be great is if the Kern hatchery operated through this coming summer and all the fish went Bishop to Bridgeport. I'd prefer to spend our extra money on stocking browns instead of making up for DFG shortages like we have the last few years.

Good news on the subcatchables going in to the res...should make for a healthy season of Brown fishin' come spring. I wish the road to South Lake was open still and we cold get a piece of that action. I haven't been as far north as Bridgeport in months, has the res frozen over yet?

sierraslam
01-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I started saving the DFG gill tags a few years back. I have seven on my fishing hat now. Most have come on the opener out of Convict. I did get one out of Tioga and two from Saddlebag Lake. Alpers have the better meat and fight harder in my opinion. I get pretty pumped up for any trout over 2 pounds, but the gill tag is a nice little trophy for the catch. good fishin!

sb fishing
01-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Wow, that is great news..for us at least, terrible news for the Kern folks. What would really be great is if the Kern hatchery operated through this coming summer and all the fish went Bishop to Bridgeport. I'd prefer to spend our extra money on stocking browns instead of making up for DFG shortages like we have the last few years.

Good news on the subcatchables going in to the res...should make for a healthy season of Brown fishin' come spring. I wish the road to South Lake was open still and we cold get a piece of that action. I haven't been as far north as Bridgeport in months, has the res frozen over yet?

"SS"

Ya, its great for us up here!!! The Rez. is about 1/2 frozen. One day its-5 and the next its 45 degrees. It's been a crazy weather year.

Ya, it does suck about the Kern.

Sh1mano
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I started saving the DFG gill tags a few years back. I have seven on my fishing hat now. Most have come on the opener out of Convict. I did get one out of Tioga and two from Saddlebag Lake. Alpers have the better meat and fight harder in my opinion. I get pretty pumped up for any trout over 2 pounds, but the gill tag is a nice little trophy for the catch. good fishin!

Collecting the tags is a pretty cool idea. I can't believe after all these years of fishing the sierra's I've yet to land me an Alper. Let's hope 2009 changes all that. Any advice on where my chances of landing one would be better or worse?