PDA

View Full Version : Beware of the Coachella Canals

Toefish
01-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Just a heads up to the guys that fish (or used to fish) the Coachella Canals, went there to fish over Christmas holiday (I think it was on 12/29/08), hadn't been there in about 6 months or so, but to make a long story short, I was driving along the canal road right off of the Salton Sea, when I turned a corner and waiting for me were 4 Sheriffs, they stopped me and cited me for "off-roading". Apparently it's going to cost about $100 ("for the first infraction"), but as it's a county ordinance violation, it won't go against my DMV record (if that's some consolation). I knew Riverside County was going to crack down on Quads and Bikes that are tearing up the mountain sides, but they said I could be there fishing, I just couldn't be driving on the road. I know El Wierdo comes up this way a few times, so I just wouldn't want you or anyone else making the trek up here only to get cited. If someone has more details as to what you can and can't do, that info would be appreciated.

sweetfish
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I am a little confused. Was it a road that you turned on? If so, it seems to me that you were not off roading, but I am not familiar with the regs on off roading. That sucks they gave you a citation for trying to do some fishing.

Bird dog
01-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

El Weirdo
01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
man good looking out bro!! going to have to do some research on this matter..
thanks again

deanhall32
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Ask RamboBoy. He seems to have all the answers for that area!!

RamboBoy
01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Hello all! What a cituation for "off roading"? Oh man!

First of all, I need to know what is specifically ToeFish doing? Did you drive from the road to off road (dirt road), to the canal? If it is, then it is cited!

You need to park by the gate by the road, not off road. I will show you a picture exactly where you parked. Here is a picture!

I have no problem with sheriff and DFG officer.

Toefish
01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
For those of you who are not familiar with the the CC near the Salton Sea, yes it is a dirt road, and very accessible (or at least it was). Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about being cited, I guess I did something wrong and I can accept that, this thread is not a bashing of the Sheriffs for doing their jobs, as I said off the bat, it's a heads up for the other fishermen who come out this way that it's going to be an expensive excursion if you do what I did and you're caught on the dirt road I was on (and had been on numerous times before, with in fact a Sheriff coming by and asking me how the fishing was). RamboBoy, I think you're referring to the areas where there is bridge access to the canals, more towards the city limits.

El Weirdo
01-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I too had sheriff's deputies stop by and ask how the fishing was...and even the I.N.S. stopped they too were curious what kind of fish was in there..and not ever had a hassle...guess lean times call for these tough measures..matter of fact was fishing the canals north of slab city...and had a 3 Navy SEAL hummers complete with twin.50cals on top stop by and ask if in fact there were bass in there...I was catching SMB they all said" I'LL be damned."...Toefish once again thanks for the heads up...
need to call the sheriff's dept. and get the skinny on the roads..

sweetfish
01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I will have to make sure that I know the off road regs before I go out there next year for pheasant hunting. I usually go around the Westmoreland and Brawley area.

yolo
01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Used to fish that place all the time with my dad when I was a kid. I remember we drove on the washboard dirt roads all the time and saw border patrol trucks all the time. Never did see any cops. For a while, we were going there almost every other weekend for many years. Haven't been back there for 20 or so years though. I bet it is the budget crisis that we are having here. The state needs every penny it can get now and they are just cracking down on everything and everyone.

I was in Pacific Palisades today for a an estimate and there were tens of parking enforcement vehicles chalking up tires on every street. Easy money for the state. It sucks that when you are working at a jobsite, you have to go out every two hours and either erase their chalk mark or drive and repark. People are trying to earn a living and if they are working at a construction site, with no other parking, why can't the workers be left alone to work and be productive instead of taking time every two hours to check their tires for marks. Sorry for a little venting.

Carpholeo
01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Toefish, were you driving a street legal vehicle or an off road vehicle?

El Weirdo
01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
carpholeo..nice to see ya again man...hows things??

Carpholeo
01-07-2009, 05:53 PM
hey whats up? not much going on in the southern part of the valley/AAC, cept for the occasional 3 to 6 lb striper. bout 4 weeks ago i drove the coachella from I-8 north to hwy 78 at glamis and didn't catch a damm thing. I might hit the canals in Blythe this weekend but with the full moon the bite will probably be even slower.

I haven't fished the coachella north of slab city since they replaced it with that stupid concrete canal.

As for the off-roading ticket, I would fight that all the way, call the CWD and ask what thier position is on driving on the canal road, and check to see if there were signs posted where you were cited.

El Weirdo
01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
right on...i tried almost the same route but did the highline...up to glamis..did ok on small stuff....going to give up the coachella...been doing Blythe ...been doing ok..the smaller canals for smallies...did get my new BP off one of back water areas...i was going to try it too
but in two weeks..have martin Luther day off...bit closer for me than Yuma...but have Yuma penned in march to try...

RamboBoy
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
F RamboBoy, I think you're referring to the areas where there is bridge access to the canals, more towards the city limits.

That is right, exactly, Toefish!

Lightning
01-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Any updates? I'm afraid with all the fencing going up & now this,this place may be a thing of the past...

El Weirdo
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
there is the highline canal...lots of room there to the Mexican boarder.....best no fences..and no riverside sheriff's deputies

my 2 cents...lightning hows ya my friend

Lightning
01-17-2009, 07:30 PM
What up my Brother? Time for us to find a new stomping ground!

El Weirdo
01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
just go a bit more south..and leave riverslime county...all is gravy..and remember them lakes out that way too
blythe has been good to me..and have yuma in march upcoming..

chivo
01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
good to know

RamboBoy
01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I heard from my friend mentioned that the Coachella Canal is pretty low level water right now.

Bird dog
01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I have heard that the Highline Canal is very good at times down by El Centro.Anyone ever get down that far south?

El Weirdo
01-21-2009, 11:41 AM
yes...i have just chucking spinner baits and rattle traps...fish inside bends...

ken pond
02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Has any one researched these citations yet, if there is no water I would like to travel up a canyon and so some skeet shooting. I know Chocolate Mtn. is where BLM property starts along with live mortar rounds and out side of Mecca up by ladder canyon is BLM also.
Are you guys talking about right above North Shore Desert Beach area? in google earth use coordinances Lat. 33°31'58.61"N Long.115°54'46.20"W.
This week I will call Sherrif, water district and the BLM.
Be safe.
Ken

plumbertom
02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
What I would recommend is that you and anyone who fishes that area write to the editors of the Riverside Press-Enterprise and inform them that you will no longer be spending your sporting dollars in riverside county. The only way to curb such practices is through pressure brought from the business's that pay taxes in that county.

ken pond
02-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Greetings form the Salton Sea everyone and its not raining, yet.
According to CVWD it is tresspassing to be on the canal road but there is more than one road, there is three up here. The State Park Police told me how to get to the bradshaw trail with out going on private property and we did, this included 5 miles of canal road. the trick is stay on the most northly road or the old canal road and do not use private property to get there.The Bradshaw trail is a very nice long ride, say 88 miles round trip for us.
Now about fishing. The CVWD said they wouldent advise it, then I asked them if it was illegal and they said yes. I wonder about the way they answered my question because the lady said I wouldent several times. I Did not see one angler fishing the canal around here nor in niland. However I seen people fishing at the State Park headquarters probably for talaipa and the only reason I say that is the pelicans are having a hay day out in front of our camp on the little fry.
Well thats my conclusion.
Take it easy.
Ken

Carpholeo
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
They even put a gate and no trespassing signs on the coachella at hwy 78 near glamis. Of course i just ignore this minor inconvenience and 4X around the gate and fish anyway. If i do happen to see an official looking vehicle coming my way, then I just hop in the truck and run it up to about 65mph, this will leave a dust cloud a mile long that discourages any further pursuit.

Speaking of the Bradshaw trail, It continues past the coachella and winds up near Blythe.If you like remote 4x4 trails then you'll love this 70 mile adventure.

hers a link to some info about it
http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventures/0501or_bradshaw_4x4_jeep_trail/index.html

Hate2Fish
02-22-2009, 08:26 AM
They even put a gate and no trespassing signs on the coachella at hwy 78 near glamis. Of course i just ignore this minor inconvenience and 4X around the gate and fish anyway. If i do happen to see an official looking vehicle coming my way, then I just hop in the truck and run it up to about 65mph, this will leave a dust cloud a mile long that discourages any further pursuit.

Speaking of the Bradshaw trail, It continues past the coachella and winds up near Blythe.If you like remote 4x4 trails then you'll love this 70 mile adventure.

hers a link to some info about it
http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventures/0501or_bradshaw_4x4_jeep_trail/index.html

LOL

That's how I used to do it too