PDA

View Full Version : A Cold & Windy Sunday at Castaic - 1/4/09

Wingnut
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Finished what's left of my Holiday time off by hitting Castaic with Bob (TroutOnly) today. I was fishing like a mad man the last few days before I have to get back to the grind on Monday. Friday at Pyramid, Saturday surf fishing and Castaic today... awesome! :Big Grin: Fishing for three straight days :Shocked:... I won't get to do that again any time soon.

One word that describe the day... COLD! This goes for the conditions and for the Striper bite. :Neutral: Launched around 7:00am in frigid conditions and the wind was already blowing. Did I mention that it was COLD?!? We stayed bundled up all day trying to keep warm. The Striper bite was tough. Most of the fish were hunkered down deep and we didn't feel like soaking bait. Just trolled all over the lake and picked off a few fish here and there from fast traveling schools. The Striper schools would pop up on the graph and disappear just as fast. I was throwing the BBZ from time to time for no love. Did catch a Striper and LMB on the Kroc. Overall it was quite a slow day with only six Stripers and two LMB in all. Did I mention that it was COLD?!? Here are some pics of the day out on the water in the Salmonoid Phenom. :Cool:

Spent most of the day bundled up like this... COLD!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture058.jpg

Choppy & windy conditions.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture064.jpg

Occassional hook ups here and there.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture065.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture066.jpg

No love with the BBZ today.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture057.jpg

Got one Lineside on the chrome Kroc.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture062.jpg

Another hook up.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture059.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture060.jpg

Another one of those Green looking fish. :LOL:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture071.jpg

I let Bob reel in one. :Wink:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture063.jpg

More shoolies.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture068.jpg

Same fish... wearing my limited edition StriperOnly shirt. :Cool:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture069.jpg

Healthy schoolie.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture067.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture070.jpg

One of the colors that we ran today, custom tied courtesy of Hiro (Breeze71).
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture061.jpg

Thank you Bob for having me on your boat once again. It was funny when we got back to the ramp at around 3:00pm and Scott says "I can't believe that you guys were out there this long!" What can I say, we're hardcore Scott! :LOL: :Big Grin: Good times... it was the perfect way for me to bring in the New Year, by fishing my butt off. Take care everybody! :Cool:

Arthur (Wingnut)

"You don't have to lie awake nights to succeed, just stay awake days."

Parting shot.
This year Roses... next year the National Championship. :Wink:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Picture-1.jpg

GeordyBass
01-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Looks like tough All-Around fishing,,,

I went to MDR and only caught 1 calico,dad 1 sandbass...:Rolls Eyes:

Anyways,Nice job guys!Looks like you two had lots of fun talking trash to me...
:Shocked::ROFL::Cool::Envious:

trail blazer
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Not a bad day at all,,,,,,,,,good friends,,stripes ,,bass
WTG WINGNUT AND STRIPER ONLY!!!!!!!!!

flyngby
01-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Arthur and T/O,

I had to listen to the wind chimes on the porch all night here in my sheltered canyon so I know you 2 had to feel the best of it this morning in the COLD!!!!!!!YES it was COLD.

I resupplied the Fire Place and worked at restoring my Computer so I could read your report.

Did I mention I stoked the Fire and it was WARM!!!!!!!!! Yes Warm if not HOT at times and had to let some warm air out of the house to make it comfy and listened to some Playoff Football.

You guys make a great pair and always get on the fish!!

Arthur,

Sorry I could not hook up with you this weekend!!!!!!

Nice job on the 3 day adventure!!!!!!!

See ya soon!!!

Steve

Did I Mention I was WARM!!!!!!!!

StriperEye
01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Wingnut congrats on all the fishing days!! I wish I could fish for three days straight. Good job on the stripes! keep up the great reports!

CAPT'N
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Arthur, Bob,

I was thinking about you two today, as the wind howled this mourning. Nice to see that someone was fishing.

Capt'n

Fisherman57
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Looks like some cold conditions out there for sure Arthur..... way to tough it out and score a few fish!

I hung out with D and the kids today and it was cold here.... so I cant imagine being out there in the wind! Yikes!

Hey, I need one of those "Striper Only" t-shirts!

I don't know what it is... but that pic of Wingnut Pug is the funniest damn pic for some reason! LMAO!..... she'd make a great TROJAN mascot!

Congrats on a cold, windy PRODUCTIVE day....... TO seems to get on the fish no matter the conditions!

Dana

Striper Bill
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Big congrats Wingnut and TroutOnly!

smitty99
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey Wingnut, I'm starting to feel sorry for that poor hound of yours!!!!

Three words man: Nice Gortex Jacket. Get one! Those sweatshirts don't cut it in that wind and cold.

BingJr
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Still looks like a descent day.

Good job winger and bob.

Were you casting or trolling the Kroc?

crappiemike
01-04-2009, 09:55 PM
way to keep up fishing in the winter time!!!

good job you guys..

cm

RamboBoy
01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Wow, good report! There is the hottest bite stripers in Pyramid and Castiac. Striper schoolies are very healthy now. For me, oh man long drive to get there about 4 1/2 hours. lol

FishNFurious
01-04-2009, 10:22 PM
As tough as the conditions seems, I would still rather be out there fishing than to be stuck doing yardwork today. :LOL: :Evil:
Nice job boys. Art, I hope that you enjoyed your few days off, you needed it bro! :Wink:

sidified
01-05-2009, 01:59 AM
I spent the afternoon getting the boat ready for an expedition tomorrow (or not), knowing you were experiencing the big chill; it was cold and windy even here in Calabasas----I don't know if I've got the stones to face the big freeze tomorrow, going solo as I usually do----How successful was it using the down riggers? It's been a while since I've seen Bob break out those big guns.---- The day may not have been up to your normal slam-fest standards, but to we mere mortals, it looks pretty good--congrats

Sid

FishNFurious
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
It does look cold out there Art, but at least you guys were prepared.
Not a great day according to your standards but I'll take it anyday! :LOL:
I'm sure you and T O will continue to tear it up in the new year. :Twisted:

LateFisher
01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
GREAT REPORT ARTHUR, FOR YOU AND BOB A SLOW DAY, BUT FOR THE REST OF US MORTALS A BANNER DAY :Envious: :Envious: :Envious: JOB WELL DONE !!!!!

Brian_GSC
01-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the report Art.

One question though....Was it COLD??? :LOL: :Envious: :ROFL:

Seng90806
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
You call that a slow day? man oh man :LOL: i still need to catch one of those suckers trolling...had no luck in 08'

Native Gal
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Back to Back to Back WN reports, :Shocked:

Now you've done it, gone and spoiled us with so many great reports in such a short time. Congrats on the great weekend fishing expeditions.

NG
:Wink:

Badbeat
01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Save those stripers and we'll have a fish fry saturday night Art. :Wink:
Can't wait to fish with you and Bob again soon. It was nice talking to you guys while you were out there. Sorry that I was out of town Bob, next time i'm in! :Big Grin: It was colder in san jose!!!

Binh

Beeracuda211
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey Wingnut, why do you torture your dog like that// Peta might be offended... LOL J/K

crappiemike
01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
thnx for the report and pics

cm

troutdog
01-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Nice job out in the elements guys, those stripers had no chance once you guys hit the water.....regardless of the conditions! Nice looking beenie Arthur....you guys are FNN rockstars! Thanks for the report and pics.

TD

matt duarte
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
hey wingnut nice bunch of fishes you guys got there even when mother nature was being a punk you still show her whos boss! o ya what kind od bbz is that? did you add a bunch more dots? mine doesnt have that many? oh and how are those platunes treatin ya? lucky dog you

sansou
01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Nice job again gents! You guys are hardcore fishing in the cold like that.

T/O....special thanks for contributing yet again a guide trip to this upcoming Irvine Lake Event!

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-06-2009, 11:27 AM
nice job guys.... way ta ring in the new year !!!

Nice to see Hiros fine crafstsmanship put to good use...saweet !

I really would have love to been out on the water too but I spent all fri,sat,sunday resting in bed ....Dayam : ( ....I had planned on seeing you guys on the water either fri or sat or both but I got shut down... wah wah wah waaaa!

Nice fish there my friends, I hope to see ya'll at striperbowl 2009..

Congrats !
Gary

kpn
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
You're a lucky & hardcore fisherman bud......fishing 3 days in a row......
Bob & you did a great job on catching fish.....

KPN.

Wingnut
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Looks like tough All-Around fishing,,,

I went to MDR and only caught 1 calico,dad 1 sandbass...:Rolls Eyes:

Anyways,Nice job guys!Looks like you two had lots of fun talking trash to me...:ROFL:
We got some fish, but nothing too exciting... I miss those wide open bites. :Neutral:

Not a bad day at all,,,,,,,,,good friends,,stripes ,,bass
WTG WINGNUT AND STRIPER ONLY!!!!!!!!!
Better than a Skunk that's for sure.

Arthur and T/O,

I had to listen to the wind chimes on the porch all night here in my sheltered canyon so I know you 2 had to feel the best of it this morning in the COLD!!!!!!!YES it was COLD.

I resupplied the Fire Place and worked at restoring my Computer so I could read your report.

Did I mention I stoked the Fire and it was WARM!!!!!!!!! Yes Warm if not HOT at times and had to let some warm air out of the house to make it comfy and listened to some Playoff Football.

You guys make a great pair and always get on the fish!!

Arthur,

Sorry I could not hook up with you this weekend!!!!!!

Nice job on the 3 day adventure!!!!!!!

See ya soon!!!

Steve

Did I Mention I was WARM!!!!!!!!
Ha ha, so it weas warm huh? :Envious: I would still rather freezing my butt off on the water than warm & comfy at home any day. :Wink: Bob always does a fantastic job putting us on some fish no matter how tough it gets out there. :Big Grin:

Wingnut congrats on all the fishing days!! I wish I could fish for three days straight. Good job on the stripes! keep up the great reports!
Rarely happens that I'm able to fish on consecutive days... only a couple of times a year. :Neutral: But it was fun while it lasted.

Arthur, Bob,

I was thinking about you two today, as the wind howled this mourning. Nice to see that someone was fishing.

Capt'n
There you are Scott, hope all is well... Happy New Year!

Looks like some cold conditions out there for sure Arthur..... way to tough it out and score a few fish!

I hung out with D and the kids today and it was cold here.... so I cant imagine being out there in the wind! Yikes!

Hey, I need one of those "Striper Only" t-shirts!

I don't know what it is... but that pic of Wingnut Pug is the funniest damn pic for some reason! LMAO!..... she'd make a great TROJAN mascot!

Congrats on a cold, windy PRODUCTIVE day....... TO seems to get on the fish no matter the conditions!

Dana
I'll see what I can do about a Striperonly shirt. :Wink:
Wingnut Pug is so funny, she loves to pose for pics because she knows that there will be a tasty treat waiting afterwards.

Big congrats Wingnut and TroutOnly!
Thanks Bill... Happy New Year to you & to all the Duct people. :Cool:

Hey Wingnut, I'm starting to feel sorry for that poor hound of yours!!!!

Three words man: Nice Gortex Jacket. Get one! Those sweatshirts don't cut it in that wind and cold.
Don't feel bad for WP, she loves it. :Cool:
I have a couple of Gortex jackets, didn't wat to get blood on them. :LOL: But you're right, they're great for these kind of conditions.

Still looks like a descent day.

Good job winger and bob.

Were you casting or trolling the Kroc?
I was casting the Kroc towards the shoreline and bringing it back to the boat.

way to keep up fishing in the winter time!!!

good job you guys..

cm
Tough winter fishing, but still a lot of fun.

Wow, good report! There is the hottest bite stripers in Pyramid and Castiac. Striper schoolies are very healthy now. For me, oh man long drive to get there about 4 1/2 hours. lol
Wait until the bite goes off before you make that drive. :Shocked: :Wink:

As tough as the conditions seems, I would still rather be out there fishing than to be stuck doing yardwork today. :LOL: :Evil:
Nice job boys. Art, I hope that you enjoyed your few days off, you needed it bro! :Wink:
I agree with ya on that Vincent. It was great to have a little bit of time off. Really hard to go back to work Monday morning. :Evil:

I spent the afternoon getting the boat ready for an expedition tomorrow (or not), knowing you were experiencing the big chill; it was cold and windy even here in Calabasas----I don't know if I've got the stones to face the big freeze tomorrow, going solo as I usually do----How successful was it using the down riggers? It's been a while since I've seen Bob break out those big guns.---- The day may not have been up to your normal slam-fest standards, but to we mere mortals, it looks pretty good--congrats

Sid
We ran with the down-riggers for a bit, just to see if we may run into something wicked, but no such luck. It wasn't a great day, but could have been worse. :Wink:

It does look cold out there Art, but at least you guys were prepared.
Not a great day according to your standards but I'll take it anyday! :LOL:
I'm sure you and T O will continue to tear it up in the new year. :Twisted:
Thanks again Vincent, hopefully we will carry the momentum into the New Year.

GREAT REPORT ARTHUR, FOR YOU AND BOB A SLOW DAY, BUT FOR THE REST OF US MORTALS A BANNER DAY :Envious:
JOB WELL DONE !!!!!
Thanks John, not what we're used to, but I won't complain too much. :Wink:

Thanks for the report Art.

One question though....Was it COLD??? :LOL: :Envious: :ROFL:
It was COLD!!! :!!!: We need to get back out there again Brian.

You call that a slow day? man oh man :LOL: i still need to catch one of those suckers trolling...had no luck in 08'
Just a matter of time bro, but I can assure you that if you ever hit the water with Bob, your chances will be greatly improved. :Cool:

Back to Back to Back WN reports, :Shocked:

Now you've done it, gone and spoiled us with so many great reports in such a short time. Congrats on the great weekend fishing expeditions.

NG
:Wink:
Doesn't happen too often, but always glad to entertain you guys. :Big Grin:

Save those stripers and we'll have a fish fry saturday night Art. :Wink:
Can't wait to fish with you and Bob again soon. It was nice talking to you guys while you were out there. Sorry that I was out of town Bob, next time i'm in! :Big Grin: It was colder in san jose!!!

Binh
Bob was asking about you Binh, you have to get back out there with us again soon! See ya Saturday night. :Big Grin:

Hey Wingnut, why do you torture your dog like that// Peta might be offended... LOL J/K
I can't wait until you start dressing up the twins. :Twisted:
Get back out there Mike, try to make it to the Vine on the 17th!

thnx for the report and pics

cm
:Cool:

Nice job out in the elements guys, those stripers had no chance once you guys hit the water.....regardless of the conditions! Nice looking beenie Arthur....you guys are FNN rockstars! Thanks for the report and pics.

TD
A beanie for all occassions... :LOL: Thanks Aaron, but Bob is the real Rock Star! :Envious:

hey wingnut nice bunch of fishes you guys got there even when mother nature was being a punk you still show her whos boss! o ya what kind od bbz is that? did you add a bunch more dots? mine doesnt have that many? oh and how are those platunes treatin ya? lucky dog you
It's just the standard SPRO 8" BBZ-1. I dug it out of Bob's tackle box, I'm not sure if he did any mods to it. As for the Plutons, I put them in action when I hit the surf last Saturday, check out the report in the saltwater surf section. :Wink:

Nice job again gents! You guys are hardcore fishing in the cold like that.

T/O....special thanks for contributing yet again a guide trip to this upcoming Irvine Lake Event!
Thanks Rich, Bob is a solid sponsor & contributor and we all appreciate him very much! :Cool:

nice job guys.... way ta ring in the new year !!!

Nice to see Hiros fine crafstsmanship put to good use...saweet !

I really would have love to been out on the water too but I spent all fri,sat,sunday resting in bed ....Dayam : ( ....I had planned on seeing you guys on the water either fri or sat or both but I got shut down... wah wah wah waaaa!

Nice fish there my friends, I hope to see ya'll at striperbowl 2009..

Congrats !
Gary
Hiro ties a mean jig! :Twisted:
Hope you're feeling better so you can resume the slaying in the New Year.
I should be able to make the Striper Bowl. :Cool:

You're a lucky & hardcore fisherman bud......fishing 3 days in a row......
Bob & you did a great job on catching fish.....

KPN.
Only a couple times a year that I get to fish on consecutive days Khanh. Love it when that happens! :Big Grin: