PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on batteries

bruceb8
06-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a 17' Champion Bass Boat that I bought last October. There are 3 batteries on board. One 12volt main engine battery and 2 6volt batteries set up in series for trolling motor (37lb thrust) live wells etc. The batteries do well for a day but thats about it. It takes about 36 to 48 hours to re-charge these guys with the on board duel pro charger. I plan on going up to the June Loop in July and am mooring the boat at the merina. I'm thinking of buying 2 12volt deep cycle batteries. One I could keep on a charger at the lodge while using the other one. I would change them out each day. Is running 2 6volt batts better than 1 12volt? Any suggestions would be helpfull.http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IMG_0031.JPG

jw4Bassing
06-09-2007, 02:57 PM
All you need is one good 12v deep cycle battery to run your 37 lbs of thrust trolling motor, electronics, livewell and you should be fine. If you were running your trolling motor and livewell constantly for most of the day, then by no means take it out and charge it for 10 - 12 hours for your next fishing trip and it shouldn't take you 36 to 48 hrs to charge up a battery. I believe the reason that it took you so long for you to charge your current batteries in your boat is because you have very old ones and they take much longer to charge so its time for you to get new replacement batteries for your boat. So once you get new batteries and if you did not use your trolling motor and other electronic devices that much for the day, you can have enough juice for the next day and it doesn't need to be recharge. Better yet, get yourself a battery meter tester and see how much charge is left so you will know if you have to recharge them or not for the next outing.

Hope this info helps....

JW

bruceb8
06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks dude for the advice. I think you are right, I need new batteries. I have no idea how old mine are. I appreaciate the info!!