PDA

View Full Version : Best set up for striper bass

bigblue
01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to castaic lake on tuesday and i want to catch a striper bass what is the best set up for it? Best bait? Any tips would be appreciated thanx!

tpfishnfool
01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
If you are shore fishing all you need is a 8-10 lb set up. 6 1/2' med action rod and a 2500 spinning reel or if you prefer a conventional reel I would stick with a 200 -400 series reel.
Frozen anchovies, sardines . Lures , try throwing med size chrome/gold spoons and the
smaller sized swim baits. A step up would be throwing the Wood (big *** trout baits) then you will need a bigger set up with 15-25 lb line and the appropriate rod and reel.
Look for bait fish on the surface and or bird activity. PS dont stay in one spot if you dont get bit, keep moving till you get some action.. good luck

bigblue
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Thank u very much! Also what would be the best rig for the sardines on anchovies? Does chicken liver work for da stripers?

Troutman65
01-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Thank u very much! Also what would be the best rig for the sardines on anchovies? Does chicken liver work for da stripers?

Quote by tpfishnfool : " all you need is a 8-10 lb set up. 6 1/2' med action rod and a 2500 spinning reel or if you prefer a conventional reel I would stick with a 200 -400 series reel. "

DKCbassman
01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
All of the above advice is good. The bait and wait guys on land are getting small fish on cut baits and frozen shad. Averaging 5#, saw a few pushing 8. Please don't bring any heavy gear or Swimbait style fishing without calling the office or taking a number! J/K

socalrippin
01-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Quote by tpfishnfool : " all you need is a 8-10 lb set up. 6 1/2' med action rod and a 2500 spinning reel or if you prefer a conventional reel I would stick with a 200 -400 series reel. "

................i think he's asking how to rig the bait. you know like what size hook, what kind of waits etc......

bigblue
01-05-2009, 08:39 AM
First of all thx for all the tips in helping this new angler. Couple of more questions what kind of rig is best (carolina rig). Is chicken liver good for those stripers? And how far or deep are they generally (do i cast out far, use a heavy sinker?).

socalrippin
01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
i dont think chicken liver will work that good for stiper. i say that because i fish a lake that has lots of striper and catfish pretty often and have got plenty of cats on the liver but no striper. on the other hand though the anchovies work well for both species. i use whole frozen sardines or anchovies. i hook them right through the back but closer to the head than tail. once they defrost they fly right off your hook when you cast so try to keep them frozen for as long as possible. the hook size depends on the size of the bait your using. you want the barb of the hook to be exposed enough to hook the fish. and for weight i just use a 1/4 - 1/2 oz egg weight about 2 ft up from the hook stopped by a splitshot or carolina keeper. i prefer the carolina keeper cause it doesnt pinch your line and make a weak spot like a splitshot does. try tossing it out far or close but not too close of course. it just depends where the fish are. striper tend to stay in schools so once they find your bait they generally stick around.

...................good luck, let us know how it goes.

DKCbassman
01-05-2009, 09:16 AM
You need to experiment at the location which you plan to fish. I would never recommend one type of rig, one type of bait, etc,etc,etc,etc. There are just too many variables and you should remember that the bite changes all day. The guys with the 2 pole's tend to be doing better right now.....Hint Hint.