PDA

View Full Version : 1/4/09 Pyramid (Trout)

smitty99
01-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Went today to get some of those stocker trout. Got to the gate at 0620 and was the first one there. By the time the lady opened the gate there was about 12 vehicles in line, 3 with boats in tow.

I drove down to the launch ramp area and walked the catwalk over to the left past the docks over to the rocky area. Threw a chovie out on a bait n' wait rod to see what it would pick up -- nada all day on that.

Caught my first 4 trout by 0800. Nothing remarkable in size. Then I spent another hour moving and fooling around since the bite slowed down. Went back and threw toward the corner of the docks and got my #5 fish for the day. Had two or three spit the hook. Saw and heard a couple larger fish jump--believe they were LMB but possibly stripers. Lots of trout following my lure up so there is still some in there I'm sure.

I was using a 1/32 oz. Panther Martin Rainbow/Trout Holographic. Also threw a 1/16th oz Panther in the Fire Tiger Holo and they loved that one too. For the most part, the smaller the better though.

After I caught my limit I walked back toward the boat ramp. It looked like a Rod n' Reel Show over there!!!:ROFL: It was nice a quiet where I was, so it was a surprise to see all those folks. The lady was out hollering at three or four guys fishing from the boat ramp but they were indifferent.:Shocked:

People were wrapped all the way up to where the reeds start right before the aquaduct. There was an older couple (woman/man) fishing the aquaduct but they said they had no luck. Most people I talked to that were looking for striper from the shore weren't having any luck. I went and threw a firetiger rattletrap lure at the aquaduct a bit for nada.

I did see about 4 boats out on the lake all morning. They were doing the merry-go-round :LOL: but didn't notice any pulling fish.

Weather was cold, in the mid/upper 30's. A little breezy but not too bad really- maybe 5mph steady with 10mph gusts. Warmed up to the mid/high 40's by around 0900.

I included a pic of the stockers, not that anyone really cares to see them. Reported all my catches at the gate before leaving.

P.S. I'd like to give a shout out to Wingnut for a couple useful tips; helped me limit early! Thank you kindly sir!!:Big Grin:

spooky007
01-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the report!! Good looking stringer!!

Little Bass Mike
01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Nice report Smitty. Me and my buddies got started at 6:00 am at Castaic looking for stripers, but got skunked. We decided to head to Pyramid since the trout bite was supposed to be good..

We were using nightcrawlers and hit our limit in about 2 hours. It was a beautiful day. Trout looked healthy..

Wingnut
01-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Hey nice job there on a good looking limit of Trout. Bummer that the Linesides didn't want to play. No problem about the tips, everybody knows what a Trout Slayer I am. :ROFL: Actually, Timster, one of our FNN members gave me those tips, I was just passing it on, glad it helped. :Cool: