PDA

View Full Version : Smartlink saves the day at Perris 1-4-09

tacklejunkie
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Fished Perris for a couple hours this morning from shore.
Lots of fish jumping around one of the spots but I could not get them interested in my offerings. I could clearly see the bass jumping and they had some fat healthy little bellies :LOL: Good to see the fish in action and good health.

Spent most of the time on the TT, drop shot and light line C-rig for no bites. Might have been taped on the TT but not sure.

I did snag up the trout once. Was using 20lb CXX mono. When I set the hook on the snag to the side it snagged up. Gave a few good sideways tugs and my crucial was bent in a U shape but it wouln't come free. Good sign, as if it was a fish I would not have lost it :Cool: Knowing I was snagged up good, I pointed the rod tip straight at the bait, covored the line with my sweater, turned my head and pulled. Up comes my triple trout just as planned. The smartlink had saved the bait! (notice the missing back hook)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/tripletroutsmartlink.jpg

Tossed around a few more plastics near the busting bass with no love.
Called the day at 12:15.

Just a quick update on a real life situation test with the 17-20lb smartlink on 20lb line with a swimbait.
I will be stocking up on smartlinks. Just need to test them against a fish, but all signs say they should work perfect.
-TJ

basscatcher
01-04-2009, 01:09 PM
glad to see you at the lake and not home on your back. good job TJ hopefully we can tube perris sometime.

God Bless

basscatcher

DarkShadow
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
TJ,

Swap out those stock Mustads on those Triple Trouts.

I'd hate you to lose a fish on that thing because of the hooks.

fishntime
01-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Good info TJ, being that those swimbaits arent cheap. Seems like smartlink is the way to go!

HEMAN
01-04-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks for the report..sounds like those smartlinks are working.. gonna have to look into gettin some

spooky007
01-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I like the concepts of the smartlinks but there have been more negative comments about them then they're worth. I agree in tryng to save $70+ swimbaits but that's a risk you take!!! By the way, put some real hooks on that bait!!!:) Owner st-41's and numer 6 owner hyperwire split rings!!!