PDA

View Full Version : Duct 1-4-09 Morning

yolo
01-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Well I got my cripple butt out there this morning for an hour. I just couldn't take it anymore. Hurting ankle or not, I needed some fresh air. The air was definitely fresh and crisp. It was very cold and temp in the high teens. Ice forming on the guides, line and reel. Hands getting a little numb. Basically it was very cold.

I start out with the Trap for a little while and nothing. I tie on a 4" pearl swim shad and toss that for a few minutes. I finally get a taker and the fight is on. I get in to the edge and because I can't go down the side of the duct to pick it up like I normally do (ankle won't articulate the angle of the duct wall and I can only step flat), so I start to drag it up. It's flopping and flipping as I keep dragging it up the side and about half way up, it unhooks and flops in the water and takes off. If not for my ankle not letting me walk on the incline, I would have had it as my first catch of the year. It was the average Palmdale duct striper in the 6 to 8 lb range. Another fatty but I couldn't get it all the way up the side where I could grab it.

Sorry but no fish picture because I couldn't get my hands on it but I did snap a shot of the icy reel. Farmed fish or not, it was good to get out and good not to slip in this time http://www.hookupsportfishing.com/forum/images/smilies/1clappin.gif

tpfishnfool
01-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Welcome back.. Your a better guy than me , hell 29 this morning, no thanks.

trail blazer
01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
under the sercomstances we will call that one a CATCH AND RELEASE!!:Big Grin:

WTG out there bro and good luck with the ankle

StriperEye
01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey Yolo, Glad to see your back at it. too bad for the fish loss,but at least your catching them. I have to meet up with you sometime so you can show me how its done..got the 9 month skunk on the back and its time to kick it!! Take it easy on that ankle,it takes some time..

yolo
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys. Just got back from my son's soccer game and it is windy out there. Not even a breeze this early morning but it's blowing now. I was going to go back out after the Dolphins game with my neighbor but if it stays windy, I'm staying in. At least I will have someone to grab the fish for me if we end up going and hooking up with one? Looks like 09 is shaping up to be pretty good. Actually tail end of 08 it started to turn around for me. The rest of 08 was not on par with 07. Here's to '09 :Thumbs Up:

jim532
01-05-2009, 08:45 AM
if ya need someone to man the net let me know, I've tried to get on those Palmdale stripers for a while now with no luck.

yolo
01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
There's talk of a duct meet in another thread when it warms up a bit. It would be ideal time for all those wanting to fish but have never fished the duct to do so. Maybe we can have duct baptism right there by one of the buoy lines and ladders to get it out of the way, done and over with :Big Grin: .

We Killin ALL fish-626
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
at least u didnt fall in this time ....LOL u'll get em next time

yolo
01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I'll be perfectly content to go another 20+ years without falling in.

spooky007
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Ice on the gear during the day is coooold!! LDR's(long distance release) are ok as long as you saw the fish!!

Al

yolo
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I more than saw it. I was dragging it up the side of the duct as I could not walk down and pick it up because of my ankle. I was at a low angle but long cement side spot. The steep angle spots are much shorter as far as the angled cement goes.