PDA

View Full Version : Anybody just soaking pworms or pmouses?

billy b
01-04-2009, 06:41 AM
I've been reading some good stuff from y'all about using power worms (p-egg and p-worm) and power mouses (p-bait and p-worm) ... but wondered if you cast and retrieve ... soak 'em ... soak and slowly move ... all of the above?

Koshaw
01-04-2009, 06:55 AM
I just soak em. I also get hit as it is sinking , and also when its been sitting there...I bet if you jig it may also work.

Sierra_Smitty
01-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I've been reading some good stuff from y'all about using power worms (p-egg and p-worm) and power mouses (p-bait and p-worm) ... but wondered if you cast and retrieve ... soak 'em ... soak and slowly move ... all of the above?

Most people soak the pworms/egg combo but you're going to cover more water and IMO get more bites if your work the bait back towards the boat or shore. The fish at Irvine behave differently than the fish in the Sierra do though. Up where I live there is no comparison - retrieving the trout worm is the way to go fo sho..and up there, a p-egg isn't needed!

a biley
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
i always cast and retrieve those from shore... many times on boat too. the only thing i don't retrieve is PB and nightcrawlers

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-05-2009, 07:18 AM
I like the shad colored pb worms, if i cant get hits on a fly. I drop shot them with my 3 wt.fly rod. I use a # 10 mosqito hook , a tiny split shot, 24 " tag ,with 2lb leader. If the fish are visable ,i use a quick retrive ,and a sudden stop. If that dont work ,i use a slow retrieve. Last summer i caught bass ,crappies, and red ear.it kicks for the trout.the first stocking the bigger trout(2 to 3lbs) were chasing the fast retrive, like i use fishing for bonita with flys.i also use my ultra lite spinning set up,with 2lb leader. Same drop shot setup. With 1/4 oz. Power bait worms rock!!!!

billy b
01-05-2009, 07:34 AM
What I meant about soaking was someone putting a p-egg with say a NC and just soaking it vs. a slow, very slow retrieve. The same question with just soaking a pmouse? (pbait on a treble with a NC or pworm?)

I have some experience with a ss casting and retrieving plastic worms.

Are more people going to a fly weight rod instead of say a 7' spinning rod?

johnsfishing
01-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Well usually I just dip the bait (various combinations of PW/PE/NC/PB) in Berkley or Nitro and cast out (bait and wait). I havent had too much success jigging but I know that technique catches fish so I am determined to get some that way.

Also just get yourself a spinning rod. I have a few "Baiters" that are 5'6" and a couple that are 7' + for "Jigging and Baiting"

good luck,

johnsfishing

billy b
01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
That's a new one to me

billy b
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
That's a new one to me

bsp
01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
24in tag means a 24in piece of line (aka a leader) between the swivel and hook in a Carolina rig, hook and weight when it comes to the dropshot rig, or hook and splitshot in a splitshot rig. For the last two, your "leader" is just your mainline, not a different piece of line like in the Carolina rig.

As for casting and retrieving trout worms or mini jigs, most people will use a 7ft 1/16oz-1/4oz spinning rod when they are starting out because it is more versatile. It won't be incredible for the trout worms, but since it can throw everything decently it is the best choice if you are starting out. Once you decide that trout worms and mini jigs are your favorite technique, you will start looking at the longer 1/32-1/8 oz rods. By longer, I mean anywhere from 7'6" all the way up to 10'! There are very few rod makers that do this, and my personal favorite among them is Phenix. Their Elixer trout rods are over $200 each, but they are the best rods for throwing mini jigs/trout worms hands down. Their 802 is, IMO, the best all around trout rod out there, and the 801 or 761 would have to be the best mini jig rod. Loomis' tips on their new trout series are just not right for mini jigs. They are either too fast or too slow.

I actually like the 802 the most because it can handle all the lures you want. The 761 and 801 (1/32oz low end) are awesome for trout worms, but are not as versatile as the 802 (1/16oz low rating).

If you have any other questions, let me know.

billy b
01-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all the good info. I have about 8 GLooms ... mostly high end...so a switch to something else is a new thought. But, I'm open to suggestions. Between the 2 that you mentioned, can you elaborate any more on the benefits of each, please? Do you recommend one of each? Any suggestions where the best place is to buy one?

What I am using is a 7' GLoom for plastic worms. I tie straight 2# to a #10 Owners and put a split shot up the line about 24-36." I've been slow to come around with the mini-jigs although I have a ton of them. I'm concerned about not being able to cast them very far and wonder about using a bobber or bubble as some have suggested.

bsp
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Just so you know, I consider the Phenix Elixer 761 and 801 to be identical in how well they both mini jig. Both rods will do everything related to trout plastics better than anything else out there (St. Croix, G. Loomis, Daiwa, Kencor, Berkley etc), but there are some benefits and drawbacks to each. First of all, the only way you know which you are going to prefer is by handling each in the shop with the reel you are going to use on the rod. I personally prefer 8ft rods because I like the way they balance better, but some people think that 8fters don't balance as well as 7'6" rods. Next, the increase in casting distance with the 801 is a few yards, so if you need to outcast other people on the lake go for it. The drawback is that you won't be able to take it to areas with a lot of trees or overhead obstructions. Again, I use an 8ft rod because I can do roll casts under the trees, but if you use overhead casts in areas with a lot of obstructions then a 7'6" will be better for you. The casting distance on both will be more than adequate for 1/32oz mini jigs. Distance will not be a problem since most of time you will actually be casting over the trout!

The bubble is not really needed. If the trout are feeding close to the surface I'll sometimes use it, but it is more about presentation than casting distance. Basically, if casting distance is the reason you were thinking of using it, don't worry about it. The trout will hit lures towards the bottom of the water column the majority of the time.

If you were to get two rods, I would say to get an 801 and an 802. If only one, go for the 801. I can deal with using long rods in tight quarters, so for me, there are no drawbacks to 8fters. The reason I would get an Elixer 802 as well is that it is the perfect trout rod for everything that is not a soft plastic. Once you have both an 801 and 802, you will be set for trout rods... until you get into creek fishing!

As for purchasing,
http://www.phenixrods.com/check-out-phenixs-new-elixir-trout-series/
lists the places you can purchase the rods at the bottom of the page. They are all good places. The Phenix Elixers also look incredible too.

billy b
01-14-2009, 06:53 AM
to all ... I got a lot of good info

To: bsp

I'm very interested in the 801 and 802. I assumed that the 76 and 80 prefix relate to the length. But what's the diff between the 801 and 802.

As you noted, my concern was how to get any distance when casting 1/64 and 1/32 weights? Length of rod will obviously help I know. Thought the bubble might help ... I know some posters on this board have said they use them ... even ones that rattle.

Any thoughts on comparing a GLoom 7'6 or 8'0 vs the Phenix?

bsp
01-14-2009, 08:30 AM
to all ... I got a lot of good info

To: bsp

I'm very interested in the 801 and 802. I assumed that the 76 and 80 prefix relate to the length. But what's the diff between the 801 and 802.

As you noted, my concern was how to get any distance when casting 1/64 and 1/32 weights? Length of rod will obviously help I know. Thought the bubble might help ... I know some posters on this board have said they use them ... even ones that rattle.

Any thoughts on comparing a GLoom 7'6 or 8'0 vs the Phenix?

1 and 2 are power ratings. So the 801 is what you want for throwing minijigs because it is the lightest power (ie it's tips loads with the lighter weights than he 802). The lighter tips also allows you to impart a little more action on the jig, but the tradeoff is that you have less backbone when fighting fish. The 802 has more backbone, but it will not cast a 1/32oz minijig as far as the 801. I use the 802 with 3lb line for kastmasters, spoons, crankbaits, and jerkbaits. Basically, the 801 is the powerworm/lip ripperz/mini jig rod (2lb test), and the 802 is the everything else rod (3lb or 4lb test).

Distance with an 801 will not be a problem. Most trout live close to shore, and you will be casting over them with the 801. Bubbles are used with 1/64oz jigs because no rod will cast them really far, but they are mainly used when the trout are feeding near the surface to keep the jig from sinking below them. The rattle bobbers are used to attract trout because the rattle sometimes draws them in. These are specialized techniques, but if you want to try them, the 801 will handle them fine and you'll get way more distance than you need.

I am not a fan of the Loomis trout rods. I have tried the 7'2 GLX and the 7'6 mini jig model and they both missed the mark in terms of taper. The 7'6 is way too slow for mini jigs (can't set the hook), and the GLX is way too fast (not enough give so line breaks). The 7'6 Loomis I tried was being used as powerbait rods while the guy was jigging with his Phenix, and the GLX was in the guy's truck. They are decent rods, but they just don't work for SoCal style trout fishing. The Phenixs' have a fast action taper that manages to be a little moderate. You get a solid hookset, but the rod will give nicely throughout the fight so the line doesn't break.

billy b
01-15-2009, 05:46 AM
You took a lot of time to write some great stuff. Thanks much.

I've looked all over, googled, etc. ... and can't find a good web site or a distributor here in Northern Nevada. It looks like Phenix went out of business and back in? How good of a company are they?

bsp
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
You took a lot of time to write some great stuff. Thanks much.

I've looked all over, googled, etc. ... and can't find a good web site or a distributor here in Northern Nevada. It looks like Phenix went out of business and back in? How good of a company are they?

No problem!

They changed ownership a while ago, so that is why you may have found two websites. www.phenixrods.com is the current one. As for company quality, they are one of the best out there because they not only have an awesome product, but they also care about their customers. They are one of the few rod companies that will spend some time talking to a customer at trade shows as opposed to blowing them off.

To solve your distributor problem, I would do one (or both) of two things:
1: First, try calling one of the distributors listed on the site (either Fisherman's Access or Richard's Fishing Tackle) and see if they will ship them to you.

2: If that does not work, try calling Phenix directly using the number on the website. They should try to make it work for you because you are a serious buyer who knows what he wants.

If you want to read a little more about them, www.tackletour.com has some articles pertaining to them.