PDA

View Full Version : Fin N Feather members with boats - IMPORTANT READ

INDOANGLER2
01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
This message is really just for FNF members with boats. The Palmdale Water District just notified the FNF board that due to the mussel situation they imposed a 28 day quaranteen on boats entering the lake. This means that IF YOU WANT TO FISH FROM YOUR BOAT ON OPENING DAY YOUR BOAT MUST BE STORED IN THE FNF BOATYARD BY TOMORROW SUNDAY JANUARY 4TH.

This news just came about and will be a subject of discussion on the board meeting this coming Tuesday at 06:30 PM. If any boat owners have questions i suggest you call the office at 661- 947-2884.

I will post another message on the outcome after Tuesday's meeting. If you know any FNF members with boats inform them and have them verify this message with the office.

WJC71
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
So, its kinda like whats going on up North eh?
Looks like the shore's gonna be packed opening day

BIGRED KILLA
01-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the post 28 days wow thats a long.

Bigred

WJC71
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
It's cool if that's the only place your gonna fish
But if you want to go other places, you gotta quarantine your boat everytime you wanna come back

slief
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
That blows! I just called up and also found out that they no longer allow folding boats which means I cant take my Porta Bote down there either! :mad:
They should inform members of these changes with the renewal paperwork!

Now I might have to find a tin can to leave down there!

I could take my 20' trophy down there, buts thats a bit overkill and the idea of leaving it there is not on my priority list as there isn't much security.

Is anybody planning on attending Tuesday's board meeting? There is a chance that the quarantine rule may be changed but it will need to be brought up by members at that meeting.

rk3487
01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Even the most restrictive lake in California (Casitas) allows the use of tamper proof seals so you can remove your boat from the location and come back without another quarantine period. Can you imagine leaving your boat at the FF Club, better remove anything that is not locked down or somebody else will. Also passing the survey and inspection, you only have 10-day quarantine, with 28 days only if you’ve been in infected waters or did not pass the inspection at Casitas. How about washers! Looks like this is the end for boaters at the FF Club. Why pay for a membership when you have to wait a month to fish each time you remove your boat! All boaters need to show up at the membership meeting and voice our concerns.

MarkyMark
01-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, this is not good..I didn't call them but need some clarity on the proposed rules changes.. I have a boat there already, but I also have a new one. I was considering using the new one there on occasion, now maybe not

MM

Off The Hook
01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
That is bad news. I am going to try my best to make it to the meeting. The lake already has to many members and this will just make it a nightmare to shore fish if most the boaters cannot get on the water. Thanks for the info.

INDOANGLER2
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Guys, I will attend the meeting on Tuesday and keep you informed. I am not defending the board but they were just informed of these changes by Palmdale Water District on Wednesday 12/31 and I don't think that they've had enough time to put a plan together, or notify all the members. I am sure that they are hoping to come up with a better solution like the tamper proof seals that rk3487 mentioned, and a shorter than 28 day quaranteen period. They don't like it any more than the members do, it only means more work for them.

Anyhow I will post any updates I find out. On a brighter note they already stocked over 9,000 lbs of Mt Lassens all over 3 lbs, with many many 5 to 10 lbrs. And by opening they'll have over 20, 000 lbs stocked.

Off The Hook and rk3487 if you plan to attend on Tuesday night look for me my name is Archie I'll wear my blue FNF baseball cap.

WJC71
01-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Check out this link to bring to the table tomorrow night at the meeting:

http://www.100thmeridian.org/emersion.asp

Click on the map to see recommended quarantine times. Very interesting

INDOANGLER2
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Check out this link to bring to the table tomorrow night at the meeting:

http://www.100thmeridian.org/emersion.asp

Click on the map to see recommended quarantine times. Very interesting

Good information, I will bring this tomorrow. Thanks

poolman1
01-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Stopped into the Fin this morning. I was told that the club was looking to purchase a hot water pressure washer. That way, for a fee, you can wash your boat down and then launch. I guess we will know more tommorrow.

slief
01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Stopped into the Fin this morning. I was told that the club was looking to purchase a hot water pressure washer. That way, for a fee, you can wash your boat down and then launch. I guess we will know more tommorrow.

That is great news! If you are a member and intend on joining the meeting tonight, perhaps you could pass along a suggestion from me. Not sure what the washer would cost but it would seem to me that the active members who boat on the lake might be interested in making a contribution towards that heated pressure washer. I would consider a donation for such a purpose just to avoid having to leave my boat there. Perhaps that could be done to negate the need to the additional fee cleaning fee if this pans out. Either way, its a much better solution than holding boats hostage!

Worst case, I will just buy a cheap tin boat to leave there and bring along my 6HP outboard when I want to fish there.. I wonder if they would permit the engines to be removed from the boat while in quarentine or storage there??

I am still put off by the fact that I cant use my portabote there. I have it all dialed and was eager to use it there. I think the folding boat rule is just rediculous!

What are the quagga inspections like at the other lakes in the aquaduct chain such as Silverwood? It would seem to me that the FNF lake should follow similar processes.

buck liggett
01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
To many members there too huh? sounds like Our hunting club that Jim Rupe runs! He was telling Me about Morgan having a job power washing?

slief
01-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Any updates on the board meeting?

INDOANGLER2
01-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I must say that in my line of work I'm in a lot of meetings and this was a very disorganized meeting and there was nothing finalized during the first part of the meeting that was open to the general members. The second session is a meeting for the board members only and I was not part of it. I'll try to generalize what I got out of it.

There were 2 gentlemen from the Palmdale Water District that explained the current situation with the invasion of the Quagga and Zebra mussel and the dangers of contaminating the water in the Fin with boats carrying the mussels. They are working on a plan and are drafting it up and presenting it to the Palmdale Water District Board meeting next Wednesday. Several of the FNF board members and several Palmdale water District employees met with people at Casitas to get an idea of how they have been handling this and in the long term it appears that the Palmdale Water District will be adopting Casitas plan. But they are also proposing a short term solution so that everyone will have a chance to have their boats inspected and be on the water come opening day. They couldn't disclose the details until it is approved by the Water District Board.

The Fin started telling people to have their boats in the yard by this passed weekend or else they would stand a chance not to have it in the water come opening day because thats the best they knew what to do at the time. As soon as the shoprt term plan is approved I will post it.

This Friday January 9th from 11:00 AM unitl 3:00 PM the DFG will be at the Fin to conduct a class and teach how to inspect the boats. The Fin is looking for volunteers so please contact the office if you are interested.(661-647-2884).

We were forewarned that the boat inspection will be very very strict and everyone needs to make sure that your boat is completely clean and everything must be dry.

As soon as I hear of anything new I'll post it.

slief
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for taking the time to attend and for the update Indo!

rk3487
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Just called and still no inspections. They said Palmdale Water District is waiting on lawyers to review the plan submitted, before they make a decision. Go figure. The rumor is the water district wants to shut the club down. Was told the boats in the yard are having the seals stolen off the boats! And they wanted us to leave our boats in the yard. Hope this gets resolved before opener.

MarkyMark
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
The boats in the yard have a wire tag on them with date verification of being in the yard (mine has a date of 1-1-09). Those are the 'seals' you're referring to.

MM

tpfishnfool
01-12-2009, 08:14 AM
This is getting worse by the minute . Palmdale water district is and has been trying to close the club for years . To bad cause its a great little lake. By the way its one of the oldest private fishing / hunting clubs in the country that is still open. Seems they want it to go away just like the rest have over time.

dockboy
01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
True. There have been many complaints against the lake. Including from nearby residents that the shooting from Sunday trap shooting was too noisy. God people will ***** about anything wont they! lol
But in my mind the water district has nothing to lose letting the club use the lake. After paying the district to the use the watershed, the club then maintains and polices its members. And for a third of the year, almost nobody is there. The water district could close the club and the lake. Then they would have to run manners themselves, and take care of vandalism, security etc that comes with the job of closing off a waterbody from the general public. Or they could let the club run the lake it has for the past 60+ years and only have to deal with water utilities maitenance, while the club pulls security and upkeeps the property at member expense. Seems pretty obvious right....
Then again the Palmdale WD has proven itself nothing but pinhead politicians since its creation, so it wouldnt be that big a surprise if they did eventually shut down the lake :Shocked:

INDOANGLER2
01-12-2009, 07:53 PM
All good points, the mussel issue is not the FNF or palmdale Water District its becoming and enforcement by the state. I think once the initial inspections are done thinks will subside and we'll get used to it. Other lakes that are not yet infected will be adopting this as well. And sure we need to make some adjustment like many people with nicer boats are talking about buying a little old tin can boat and just leaving it on the lake and use their big boats for the other lakes. The Fin is the little jewel of the AV and I hate to loose it.

slief
01-13-2009, 07:03 AM
I gave the fin a suggestion yesterday. There was discussion about buying a steam pressure washer which they indicated was about $230,000.. Not sure why so much but on to my suggestion.

They have 2000 members. Not sure how many boat the lake but if 1000 of those members donated $200, that would nearly cover the expense of the washing system needed to eliminate the need for quarantines and eliminate the threat of muscles entering the lake from a boat. I for one would donate to the cause.

A bigger issue in the long term would be the muscles entering the lake from the duct. It would seem to me as I indicated earlier that if any of the lakes in the duct chain had the muscles, every other lake down stream would have a big issue.

tpfishnfool
01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
What a joke !! What about the duct that feeds the lake ? Zebra mussles in there to right ?
Just another nail in the coffin for one more lake. IMO . Let the **** fly boys and girls !!

Thats what I thought too ..

MarkyMark
01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Has anyone been through the boat inspection process? I'm hearing different stories on the quarantine period after you put your boat in the water and take it off the premises.

MM

slief
01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Has anyone been through the boat inspection process? I'm hearing different stories on the quarantine period after you put your boat in the water and take it off the premises.

MM

I dont think anything is chissled in granite so to speak. I spoke with them yesterday and the indicated that if the boat passed inspection (clean, dry and debris free), the quarantine would be 10 days. If not clean and dry, 30 days. They will wrap and seal the boat so it does not have to remain on the pemises. They are waiting for the legal paperwork which is being reviewed by the water districts attorneys. That should be done by weeks end at which point they will officially begin inspections. Those that have boats there already sealed, will obviously be ahead of the game.

MarkyMark
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
UPDATE

I called today and the inspections are scheduled to start tomorrow:Cool:..

BUT

Call beforehand because things could change at the last minute:Rolls Eyes:

MM