PDA

View Full Version : Little Rock Dam Lake 1/2/9 pics

fishfinder
01-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Decided to go try out little rock for the first time from a boat, as a matter of fact this was the first time i fishd this lake since they raised the dam.
Got to the lake at 11 am and started to troll upstream.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/fishfinder_photo/SDC10976.jpg
tried a gold pheobe and a couple of short strikes but no prize.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/fishfinder_photo/SDC10977.jpg
I was graphing most fish deeper than the pheobe could go so i tied on a small rapala and headed back the other way.

tried fishing around the dam a little, but got nothing the water was very cold at 46.1 degrees.
[IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/fishfinder_photo/SDC10982.jpg
i graphed a lot of fish by the dam, but i think they were probably carp, cause they were big and very thick schools across 30' of water.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/fishfinder_photo/SDC10990.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/fishfinder_photo/SDC10986.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/fishfinder_photo/SDC10989.jpg
the deepest spot i found was about 72' of water.

So i got the first skunk of the year.
think i will wait til the water warms up there before i go again. i think it was too cold for trolling.

MarkyMark
01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
So the water level is up high enought to launch a boat...An adventure pass is required to enter, right??

MM

tpfishnfool
01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
I doubt thoses were carp at mid water depth. They usually hang near the bottom and or near the most shallow part of the lake. Mmm. Trout only needs to get his *** up there for a recon mission and see what those are. Bob ?? Oh Bob ??

WJC71
01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Well Considering the wind was blowing down the canyon and it was by the dam. The FF probably metered debris and showed it as fish. Turn off the Fish ID option and read it with the arches and set your grayscale so it shows the actual depth of the loose sediment on the bottom. It should read about five feet deep. It's kinda humbling when you switch the ID off and don't see any fish. All the fish are in the trees,coves,rock faces and inlet due to the fact that the main lake has no structure whatsoever. All the food is in those areas. BTW temp has no bearing on trolling.

......END.......

fishfinder
01-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Well Considering the wind was blowing down the canyon and it was by the dam. The FF probably metered debris and showed it as fish. Turn off the Fish ID option and read it with the arches and set your grayscale so it shows the actual depth of the loose sediment on the bottom. It should read about five feet deep. It's kinda humbling when you switch the ID off and don't see any fish. All the fish are in the trees,coves,rock faces and inlet due to the fact that the main lake has no structure whatsoever. All the food is in those areas. BTW temp has no bearing on trolling.

......END.......

the fishfinder i have stinks, and i really need a good lesson to use it.
what kind of debree floats 30' down and 30' off the bottem, 50-75' off the dam 100-200' long? guess it could be a tree.
as far as trolling goes i have found when the water is that cold i have to go really slow to get only a couple takers. usually do way better with minijigs or bait.
T.O. please tell us what you think on this subject.

INDOANGLER2
01-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Guys, keep in mind that Littlerock Dam is on the list that doesn't get anymore trout plants because of the deal that the environmentalists impost not to stock any SoCal waters that have a potential of endangering natural trout habit and areas where the little yellow legged frog s exists. Littlerock Dam and of course the stream has both, one ranger told a friend that it will probably stay that way at least unitl 2010. If your after trout I wouldn't waste my time there.

Its a real bummer because this is one of the first seasons that they kept a lot of water in it. And yes Mark with its real easy to launch a boat and youare supposed to have an Adventure pass.

fishfinder
01-03-2009, 10:12 PM
oh i forgot to mention when i was there i had to take off my shoes and walk through 2' of water to get to the dock. brrrrrrrrrrrr.. that was cold.

Striper Bill
01-04-2009, 03:45 AM
I do have faith in the lake and spoke to new owner, he said that he is promoting BBQ's, live music, and other events. He told me the last time it was stocked was about a month in a half ago. Talk to the owner Rick Cooper and ask him about stocking the lake more in the future. Don't loose the faith, new owner is really trying to remodelling and promote it for all of us fisherman. Real nice guy and wants to get bass rental boats and aluminum boats to rent out for the day. Hope he does it! It will make a great bass lake, dont know about the trout. It has been a good lake to me in the past. I use to catch LMB, Cats, trout, Carp. As fisherman I hope we don't allow it to fail. Rod tips up and tight lines.

fishfinder
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I do have faith in the lake and spoke to new owner, he said that he is promoting BBQ's, live music, and other events. He told me the last time it was stocked was about a month in a half ago. Talk to the owner Rick Cooper and ask him about stocking the lake more in the future. Don't loose the faith, new owner is really trying to remodelling and promote it for all of us fisherman. Real nice guy and wants to get bass rental boats and aluminum boats to rent out for the day. Hope he does it! It will make a great bass lake, dont know about the trout. It has been a good lake to me in the past. I use to catch LMB, Cats, trout, Carp. As fisherman I hope we don't allow it to fail. Rod tips up and tight lines.

i did see about 4 small boats sitting on the shore, i thought they looked like they were going to be used for rentals.

Striper Bill
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
The owner is really trying to get it all together and promote it so more people will show up and not be turned away.

tenderloin
01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
The area above the lake is closed due to the Arroyo southwestern toad. Also trout have been kiiled in order to save the Mountain yellow-legged frog. I am not sure the exact area of the fish kill or of the closures..sorry. Hopefully a call to the telephone number listed can get you up to date info.

Article on DFG killing trout in Littlerock Creek
http://search.ca.gov/search?q=cache:...td&client=xfix

The creek used to be regularly stocked, but hasn't been since the late 90's. However the area further up has had great fishing for rainbows and brown trout. Although it has been years since I have been up there, unless the drought or the DFG wiped them out there still should be some good fishing. Of course we now have summer water conditions and it is hot..as well as snakes...but if you are in great shape, go for it.

Another good way to access the headwaters is off Angeles Crest Hwy. I don't know of anyone who has gone all the way Angeles Crest HWY to the lake, as the trail ends, but I guess it could be done by rock hopping the creek. Fishing was very good in this area..again water conditions permitting.

LITTLEROCK CREEK CLOSURE

701 N. Santa Anita Avenue Arcadia, CA 91006-2725
626-574-1613 Voice 626-574-5209Text (TTY)

File Code: 2670

Date: January 22, 1999

Dear Concerned Citizen:

For the past three years the Angeles National Forest has closed portions of Little Rock Creek from spring until the end of September in an effort to protect the habitat for known populations of the endangered Arroyo Southwestern Toad and other aquatic species. This closure was a result of species protection measures, including a Biological Assessment and formal consultation with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

A 1998 assessment of the effectiveness of the closure concluded that actions to date have not provided adequate protection for the habitat and existing populations of the Arroyo Toad, and the risk for harming one of these endangered creatures is high. The killing of a single toad is a violation of the Endangered Species Act, under which forest managers are held personally responsible. Despite the clearly posted closure, forest visitors continued to enter the closure areas. In a single week during the breeding season, forest officers issued nearly 200 citations.

Effective immediately, as a result of this assessment, the existing seasonal closure will be expanded, closing approximately 3000 acres to all use, year-round, until February of 2003, or until further notice. The expanded boundaries will protect those areas where known populations of Arroyo Toad exist, or are highly likely to exist. Gates on roads leading to the affected area will be locked to prohibit vehicle access in an enforceable manner. The closure extends from Joshua Tree Campground in Little Rock Recreation Area to the north, to Sulphur Springs Campground to the south, east along Alimony Ridge, and west to a point just above the Desert Marksman permit area, east of Kentucky Shooting Area. This effort will close Basin Campground, and the Santiago Canyon and Alimony Ridge off-highway vehicle routes.

This spring and summer the forest will conduct additional surveys and monitoring efforts to determine the precise location of Toad populations, as well as other listed species, within the closed area. In order to obtain accurate information, the surveys must be repeated over several seasons.

For further information on this closure, please contact Mike Wickman, District Ranger Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers Ranger District at 661/296-9710, or Bill Brown, Forest Biologist at 626/574-1613.

Sincerely,

/s/Michael J. Rogers

MICHAEL J. ROGERS, Forest Supervisor

cc: Richard Flynn, OCG