PDA

View Full Version : New Personal Best sheephead (29 lbs)

kanco
01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Decided to bring in the new year and break in the license by doing a morning dive with buddies Sean and Lon.

Met up at South Shores at 6:50 and in the water by 8 am.

Visibility 15 +
Water Temp: 54 degrees
little current
Lots of fog

BEST 1st dive of the year ever!

My kill:

7 lbs Calico
18 lbs Sheephead
29 lbs Sheephead

In the water shot:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09004.jpg

Headshot:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09010.jpg

Resting with the fishes:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09013.jpg

Dive buddies Sean and Lon
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09017.jpg

Sean's leg is about the right size :)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09018.jpg

Fish next to my dive tank for a better size comparrison
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09022.jpg

Kid comparrison :LOL:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09037.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09027.jpg

Awesome day on the water with good friends! Can't wait to do it again!

Sad note: Found out the the idiots at Redondo Marine did not install the waterflow guage correctly and the hose came off and a lot of salt water got sprayed all over my engine. I a large repair bill coming my way! :(

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/January09001.jpg

RamboBoy
01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the report! Nice fish

I have not taste that fish. Is that good tasty the fillet of sheephead?

tmartin
01-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Very nice goats! How deep were you when you shot your goats?

Sheepshead are great eating Rambo.

Oz
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
man those are some awsome goats there :EyePop: congrats on all your catches :Cool: some good eating will be done im sure :Cool:

JapanRon
01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi kanco,

Wow ... Nice shooting !! Even the perch were big !!

That's one decent-sized Sheephead breeder !!

JapanRon

flopps1
01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Great catch on the sheep's! However, don't mean to be rude or put a dark cloud on this post but a 7 lbs calico is a heavy breeder and takes years to get to that size. It would do more justice to our fisheries and furture fishing if those size calico's are released to help improve the population.

Please, understand that I am in no way telling you what to catch or what you should do in the water. If it's legal then it's totally at your discretion. But I bring it up as food for thought. A 7 pounder is a rarity in these parts and I believe a calico of that nature would do more justice breeding, then being on the dinner table.

Conservation plays a huge role in our ocean waters. It seems the calicos just keep getting smaller out here and it scares me what the future will bring for these species.

Again, not telling anyone to do anything. Just putting thought out there. I believe that's where it starts.

kanco
01-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Point taken Flopps and will keep it in mind.

Teamartin,
I was in about 25 feet of water and got dragged down by him into 50 feet of water :)

Rambo,
Sheephead a great eating fish. Nice solid white meat. You should try it once the season reopens for them in March. Or you can jump in the cold water now and spear some :) in the meantime, feed your eyes a bit. These are steaks from the last one i shot in November.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/November08fish005.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/November08fish006.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/November08fish008.jpg

Wildhorse1966
01-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Great catch on the sheep's! However, don't mean to be rude or put a dark cloud on this post but a 7 lbs calico is a heavy breeder and takes years to get to that size. It would do more justice to our fisheries and furture fishing if those size calico's are released to help improve the population.

Please, understand that I am in no way telling you what to catch or what you should do in the water. If it's legal then it's totally at your discretion. But I bring it up as food for thought. A 7 pounder is a rarity in these parts and I believe a calico of that nature would do more justice breeding, then being on the dinner table.

Conservation plays a huge role in our ocean waters. It seems the calicos just keep getting smaller out here and it scares me what the future will bring for these species.

Again, not telling anyone to do anything. Just putting thought out there. I believe that's where it starts.

LOL

if your in no way telling him what to catch then why did you open your trap??? did you want him to release the fish after spearing it? i have dove that area before and i can tell you there is NO shortage of nice sized calicos there.... i am sure he will be eating those fish and it wont go to waste so i see nothing wrong with what he has done ... next time just say great job and move along if you have nothign nice to say

Nessie Hunter
01-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Edwin, you suck brudda..... :Shocked:

Im not falling off the rocks and bleeding for your enjoyment ever again!!!!! :Wink:

But a peace offering of a steak or two may just change my mind???? :Cool:

Friggin PIG of a Goat dude!!!! All very nice fishies man...

GET DA NET
01-03-2009, 08:45 AM
awesome kill bro

gavin310
01-03-2009, 09:43 AM
That's a biggun!! Nice job. I haven't eaten breakfast and that pan shot is making me drool. What recipe were you using?

TShaffer
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
that is one big sheepshead

paDDy
01-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Nice job on the big goats, BUT you need to check your reg book!!! There is a zero take on sheep head from a boat till March. Lucky you guys didn't get checked by DFG.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf

ahhvtec
01-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Kind sir, I am not sure how avid of an angler you are but please do keep in mind to please shoot and release. Try to aim for the tail so that you do not hit any vital organs. Also please retrieve your spear prior to release so that the fish do not die from it's rust.

Thank you for understanding...

P.S. the pics of the steaks are very disturbing to say the least. I have to go and plant a tree now...

ahhvtec
01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Nice job on the big goats, BUT you need to check your reg book!!! There is a zero take on sheep head from a boat till March. Lucky you guys didn't get checked by DFG.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf

Spearing is legal year round. Only by hook and line is it illegal. Gotcha! J/K

paDDy
01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Spearing is legal year round. Only by hook and line is it illegal. Gotcha! J/K

Not from a boat unless I am reading the regs wrong. Check out the link and let me know. I know its ok from the shore but from a boat??

ghetto dad
01-03-2009, 01:45 PM
LOL

if your in no way telling him what to catch then why did you open your trap??? did you want him to release the fish after spearing it? i have dove that area before and i can tell you there is NO shortage of nice sized calicos there.... i am sure he will be eating those fish and it wont go to waste so i see nothing wrong with what he has done ... next time just say great job and move along if you have nothign nice to say

After all the lurkers see that, there will be a shortage soon.....

Nice fish man......take it easy on the larger calicos, if you dont mind....you had 100 lbs of sheephead to eat.....peace

GD

oh yeah, "have a nice day"

ghetto dad
01-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Nice reply Flopps......i totally agree with that.....conservation....PLEASE.....

GD

flopps1
01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
LOL

Open my trap...huh??? K...wildhorse! I'll be your huckleberry!

It's obvious he's already made the kill. No sh**!!! Shirlock! I was referring to the next time. Open your mind up to the big picture here!!!! If you read my post correctly, I didn't tell him what to catch, or that it would be a waste on the dinner table. Nor, did I ever say that he was wrong!

You might want to re-read my post again since you didn't get it the first time. I just stated my opinion as to how a 7 lbs calico might be better served. And what point was my statement negative????

So...before you decide to kick up some dust, make sure you get your facts straight. If he didn't take any offense to it, then why are you?

Again, just putting thought out there. I in no way a hard core conservationist but I would like to see my son and future generations catch a calico of that size without having a fly a couple hundred miles to do so. The big picture!!!!! Smart guy!

HESBROS
01-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Those are some monster sheeps there! Wonder what it would be like to get one that size on a rod!
Congrats on the new pers. best!

To clear up the regulation question:
The recreational fishery for California sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher) is open year-round to divers(see note 2 below) and shore-based anglers. The fishery is closed to boat-based anglers as of January 1, 2009 and will reopen on March 1, 2009 (see important NOTE at the end of this section). California sheephead may only be taken or possessed4 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 5 fish with a minimum size limit of 12 inches total length.

1 Associated state managed species include cabezon, greenlings, California sheephead and ocean whitefish.

2 Except for spearfishing gear, all other types of fishing gear are prohibited to be aboard a vessel or non-motorized watercraft while spearfishing for the purpose of retaining federal groundfish and associated state managed species during a seasonal closure affecting boat-based anglers.

3 In closed areas or during closed periods, Pacific sanddab (Citharichthys sordidus) and "other flatfish" as defined in Section 1.91(a)(10) butter sole (Isopsetta isolepis), curlfin sole (Pleuronichthys decurrens), flathead sole (Hippoglossoides elassodon), rex sole (Glyptocephalus zachirus), rock sole (Lepidopsetta bilineata), and sand sole (Psettichthys melanostictus) may ONLY be taken using the following gear: up to 12 no. 2 (or smaller) hooks and up to 2 lb. of weight.

JapanRon
01-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi All,

When I think about it ... I'd have no problem with the DFG requiring divers to swim to and back from Catalina or Clememte with their fishys !! J / K

JapanRon

flopps1
01-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Nice reply Flopps......i totally agree with that.....conservation....PLEASE.....

GD

Thanks, GD! Glad to see that someone that gets it.

GeordyBass
01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Awesome JOB!!!Nice kill of the goaties!

Hope you Eat those Suckas Well!!!:Envious:

kanco
01-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks everyone!

Nice fish man......take it easy on the larger calicos, if you dont mind....you had 100 lbs of sheephead to eat.....peace

Sound good, but unfortunatley he was already in the bag by the time I spotted the two sheepheads! I thought it was going to be the prize fish for the day.

ahhvtec
01-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

Sound good, but unfortunatley he was already in the bag by the time I spotted the two sheepheads! I thought it was going to be the prize fish for the day.

Quite honestly I have seen hundreds of Calicos at the wall, thousands at PV and hundreds of thousands at Catalina. I have always C&R all calicos and have not eaten one in forever. However, if you eat what you kill it's all good. Besides it was one so big F'n deal! Hell if Kanco was really a jackass he could kill over a hundred checkers on one tank if he wanted to but he didn't but shot one for dinner.

Man if you guys see the fish market in Ensenada you guys would have a heart attack for sure after seeing all that bass on ice!

Keep up the great work man and good hunting!

ghetto dad
01-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Quite honestly I have seen hundreds of Calicos at the wall, thousands at PV and hundreds of thousands at Catalina. I have always C&R all calicos and have not eaten one in forever. However, if you eat what you kill it's all good. Besides it was one so big F'n deal! Hell if Kanco was really a jackass he could kill over a hundred checkers on one tank if he wanted to but he didn't but shot one for dinner.

Man if you guys see the fish market in Ensenada you guys would have a heart attack for sure after seeing all that bass on ice!

hundreds of thousands huh.....thats alot of bass man....

and i really am not as concerened about the fish down south as i am up here....no one has ripped on the guy, we were just suggesting the releasing of the larger fish...thats all....

posts like that totally give people a false sense of security that the calico bass population is at an all time high, and to kill kill kill...which it isnt...especially at the islands....

anyways, "have a good day" (for hak)...peace

GD

olfishergal
01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Really nice.........They look very good to eat too........Harvesting a few to fill your belly is alwaays a good thing. Conservation is great, but so is selective harvesting.......congrats on the great bags........OFG

ghetto dad
01-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks, GD! Glad to see that someone that gets it.

yeah, i get it....i am so tired of people arguing about this.....I do not need scintific studies, surveys, people saying that they see billions of bass.....i have fished Calicos since i was 12, time on the water and going by how fishing used to be is all the proof I need......peace

GD

JSAUCE818
01-03-2009, 09:08 PM
**yawns**:Rolls Eyes:

good job on the catch!:Cool:

SamFisher
01-03-2009, 10:00 PM
kanco,

Looks like a good hunting trip!!! What size gun is that and is that tank an 80 or 100?

One great thing about diving is that you can select what you want to harvest, for obvious
reasons. It is rare that my dive buddies and I take more than a couple of Calico's per trip.
But, I've been on cattle boats where fishermen were encouraged to take their limits so the
fish counts can look good. After all, everyone looks at the fish counts to select what boat
to fish off of.

When I was younger, I killed everything in sight. Now, sometimes I wish I had the money
to invest in good underwater camer/video gear. Getting close to fish on a breath hold to
take a picture is harder than spearing one.

It really is up to the individual to practice some common sense. Take what you want but
want what you take and let some swim away for the next time.

SamFisher

flopps1
01-03-2009, 10:06 PM
yeah, i get it....i am so tired of people arguing about this.....I do not need scintific studies, surveys, people saying that they see billions of bass.....i have fished Calicos since i was 12, time on the water and going by how fishing used to be is all the proof I need......peace

GD

Exactly....catching a calico that big is considered a trophy fish now-a-days. Wonder why????

Hard facts....

Calicos are very slow growing fish and it has been documented that an average 12" Calico Bass is about 5-7 years old. Their slow growth rate and their homeguard behavior makes them extremely vulnerable to over-fishing.

ghetto dad
01-03-2009, 11:05 PM
You know the funny thing....dude that got the fish was WAY cool and knows whats up....wth did everyone else join like he was getting ripped...lol.....

and dont yawn jessie.....the funny thing is, when its a LMB thats killed, people rip on them so hard, half of them probably give up fishing...but it seems like some people think its ok to kill big calicos....

anyway, in closing, great catch man.....id love to catch those big sheeps on a rod and reel.....really fun to catch.....

GD

flopps1
01-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah, what's one 7 pound calico??? Right? Considering you've seen hundreds of thousands of them. The future of the calico bass is safe. Not only are you a comedian who plants trees but your a scientist as well.

bergie berg
01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Not trying to make waves, but what about the huge sheepsheads? Don't sheepsheads keep the sea urchin population in check and thus give our costal kelp forests and their inhabitants (large calico bass for example) a chance to grow and flourish?

My .02 cents aside great fish dude, and what you choose to spear or keep is really up to you so please be responsibe (which I am sure you are).

JSAUCE818
01-04-2009, 07:07 AM
and dont yawn jessie.....the funny thing is, when its a LMB thats killed, people rip on them so hard, half of them probably give up fishing...but it seems like some people think its ok to kill big calicos....
GD
WELL 1ST OF ALL, IM A GROWN *** MAN, I CAN DO AS I PLEASE:Wink:.....DONT NEED FOR YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO.
I LOVE BASS FISHING WITH A PASSION, ITS MY #1 FAVORITE THING TO DO, NEVER TARGETED CALICOS BUT IF I WERE TO CATCH A TOAD LIKE THAT, YOU DAMN RIGHT I WOULD RELEASE IT.......AS MUCH AS I DONT LIKE SEEING TOADS KEPT, I DONT GO ON FNN AND RUIN SOMEONES THREAD...STUFF LIKE THIS IS WHAT HAS DISCOURAGED OTHER MEMBERS FROM POSTING UP THEIR REPORTS, CAUSE IN RETURN ALL THEY RECIEVE IS CRAP FROM OTHER MEMBERS AND THEN IT SNOWBALLS INTO A 5-6 "BS" PAGE THREAD, THEN THE ADMINS HAVE TO DO WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO WHEN ITS STARTS GETTING OUT OF HAND, A GOOD CATCH REPORT GETS DELETED... MY OPINION IS THIS TO EVERYBODY, IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE IN SOMEONES THREAD, "PM" HIM AND GIVE YOUR PIECE OF MIND.

AND ANOTHER THING..

i am so tired of people arguing about this...........peace
GD
FUNNY HOW YOU CONTRADICT YOURSELF. IF YOUR SO TIRED OF IT, WHY ARE YOU STILL RUNNING YOUR MOUTH?....IM JUST SAYING.....

KANCO, ONCE AGAIN. GREAT CATCH BROTHA.

fishbone
01-04-2009, 09:19 AM
looks like yor motor could use some tlc. where is all the water coming from? nice goat, i would of taken it for sure.

chris
01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
nice goats man

kanco
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Looks like a good hunting trip!!! What size gun is that and is that tank an 80 or 100?

One great thing about diving is that you can select what you want to harvest, for obvious
reasons. It is rare that my dive buddies and I take more than a couple of Calico's per trip.

When I was younger, I killed everything in sight. Now, sometimes I wish I had the money to invest in good underwater camer/video gear. Getting close to fish on a breath hold to take a picture is harder than spearing one.

I use a Riffe 42" gun and on this dive I was using a AL80. I only used 1000 lbs of air on this particular dive. :)

STUFF LIKE THIS IS WHAT HAS DISCOURAGED OTHER MEMBERS FROM POSTING UP THEIR REPORTS, CAUSE IN RETURN ALL THEY RECIEVE IS CRAP FROM OTHER MEMBERS AND THEN IT SNOWBALLS INTO A 5-6 "BS" PAGE THREAD,

Yes, this is one reason why I don't post much on this site. I dive often with a great group of dive buddies and we often take more pictures than fish. I've include a few that I took recently. The cabezon pic came out really cool!

Not trying to make waves, but what about the huge sheepsheads? Don't sheepsheads keep the sea urchin population in check and thus give our costal kelp forests and their inhabitants (large calico bass for example) a chance to grow and flourish?

The sheephead population is fine due to the nature of the species. The fish is a female when it's you and then transitions into a male when fully grown. If the big male is take out of the picture, one other female /male will soon take it's place.

looks like yor motor could use some tlc. where is all the water coming from? nice goat, i would of taken it for sure.

Yes it does. About a year and a half ago, I took my boat to REDONDO MARINE for service and had a really bad experience with their service department. I had them install an engine water pressure guage on my boat. On my last trip the hose they installed, inside the engine compartment, came off because they did not fastened it correctly, and it sprayed salt water all over the engine. I did not realized this until this last trip. :( I will never ever take or deal with those guys again, and I encourage my other friends and poeple on the forums where I post, not do go there. Their Mickey mouse mechanic wouldn't know his head from his arse!

OK now some pictures:
A lingcod resting on a rock. See how they use their fins as tripod!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/Diving11-28009.jpg

A sheephead deep in a cave while a lobster guards the entrance.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories043.jpg

A sculpin blending in to the background:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories054.jpg

And finally a cabezon sleep on the rocks:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories046.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories050.jpg

SamFisher
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
kanco,,,what camera/housing are you using?
Did you have to use a strobe for the photo's?

Thanks for posting,
SamFisher

BIGRED KILLA
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM

That fish market has every thing in numbers but the fish population is much better down there less pressure then up here so no need for a heart attack.lol

Bigred

ghetto dad
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM
WELL 1ST OF ALL, IM A GROWN *** MAN, I CAN DO AS I PLEASE:Wink:.....DONT NEED FOR YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO.
I LOVE BASS FISHING WITH A PASSION, ITS MY #1 FAVORITE THING TO DO, NEVER TARGETED CALICOS BUT IF I WERE TO CATCH A TOAD LIKE THAT, YOU DAMN RIGHT I WOULD RELEASE IT.......AS MUCH AS I DONT LIKE SEEING TOADS KEPT, I DONT GO ON FNN AND RUIN SOMEONES THREAD...STUFF LIKE THIS IS WHAT HAS DISCOURAGED OTHER MEMBERS FROM POSTING UP THEIR REPORTS, CAUSE IN RETURN ALL THEY RECIEVE IS CRAP FROM OTHER MEMBERS AND THEN IT SNOWBALLS INTO A 5-6 "BS" PAGE THREAD, THEN THE ADMINS HAVE TO DO WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO WHEN ITS STARTS GETTING OUT OF HAND, A GOOD CATCH REPORT GETS DELETED... MY OPINION IS THIS TO EVERYBODY, IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE IN SOMEONES THREAD, "PM" HIM AND GIVE YOUR PIECE OF MIND.

AND ANOTHER THING..

FUNNY HOW YOU CONTRADICT YOURSELF. IF YOUR SO TIRED OF IT, WHY ARE YOU STILL RUNNING YOUR MOUTH?....IM JUST SAYING.....

KANCO, ONCE AGAIN. GREAT CATCH BROTHA.

yeah, and youre adding the the 5-6 page thread...and another thing...WHERE DID I RIP ON THE GUY FOR KEEPING THAT BASS????? Anyways, thanks for your input on the 5-6 page thread....

GD

ahhvtec
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Not only are you a comedian who plants trees

Yup I'll be here all week...

ahhvtec
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
P.S. See you at Catalina next week Kanco! BOOYAH!

olfishergal
01-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Kanco......I really love those pictures man. Wishing I was a year ir two younger, I would take up diving if for no other reason than to see the fish in their natural habitat and maybe spear one every so often.......Great job, beautiful pics. OFG

Oingo11
01-04-2009, 02:46 PM
For God Sakes.........................LET IT GO GUYS!!!!!!!!! All AWESOME fish. All fish were caught LEGALLY and I'm sure they all tasted great. Fantastic report, Fantastic pictures and please keep the reports coming. I would love to report something but i'm in Boise and it's colder than i witch's t#t up here right now, so no fishing for me until it warms up a little. AWESOME REPORT!!!!!!!

Darius
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
okay, i did not read every single post but all i can say is i do not respect spear fishing if that is what you call it. more like got dam, just go fishing with a rod and a pole. Do you really need a gun? Also, eating big fish and keeping that many fish to me is redicuolous. When i go fishing, i catch and release. catch and release. If the hook is stuck to far down, i say f it i'll just cut the line. I just hate seeing so many fish being kept for humans, think about the other things that live in the ocean that depend on the fish being caught.

kanco
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
kanco,,,what camera/housing are you using?
Did you have to use a strobe for the photo's?

My camera is a Konica Minolta, Dimage X1 with a housing made for it. No strobe used. Just good visibility, lots of light and a fish that cooperated for the pictures :)

okay, i did not read every single post but all i can say is i do not respect spear fishing if that is what you call it. more like got dam, just go fishing with a rod and a pole. Do you really need a gun? Also, eating big fish and keeping that many fish to me is redicuolous. When i go fishing, i catch and release. catch and release. If the hook is stuck to far down, i say f it i'll just cut the line. I just hate seeing so many fish being kept for humans, think about the other things that live in the ocean that depend on the fish being caught.

ALL I AM GOING TO SAY TO YOUR COMMENT IS: TO EACH HIS OWN!

Darius
01-04-2009, 11:54 PM
in the end i believe in conservation.

gnfshn
01-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Hahaha classic replies. Divers are the only ones that can take sheephead right now, read and understand what you are reading hehehehe. So go at it Kanco, I'm hungry what time is dinner? Awesome fish Kanco. Your child and fish comparison shot - amazing. Kanco is a class "A" saltwater fisherman and diver. He knows his stuff and conserves. Where he dove most fisherman would never think of dropping a line, or can't (you could run a business on retrieving lost anchors). When Ahhvtech and Kanco say they've seen many cali's, sandies and sheep's, trust me they have. And huge too.

cappo
01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
oh man what a fish. Awesome job.

blackmav04
01-05-2009, 10:40 AM

You got to be freaking getting dude. Is there no end to the ignorance?

1. It is a hell of alot harder to spear a fish and 100 times more sporting than rod & reel.

2. Eating bigger fish is better than eating smaller ones right? Which is why there is a size limit......... Hello McFly? What to you mean that many.......... They had no where near limits.

3. Lets see................ should I eat this fish or just leave it to die with the hook in its throat? O wait thats not enough let me cut the line so not only the fish can tangle itself and other creatures or animals in the water.

Get a clue bro!

BTW Nice job Kanco Awesome goat!

SamFisher
01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
...i do not respect spear fishing...I just hate seeing so many fish being kept for humans...

Darius,,,From your quote, surly you must hate fishermen in general also right?
You make generalizations about spearfishing from a guy that took home THREE nice fish.
Have you ever checked the annual fish take from sport fishing landings? I'll let you pick
a landing and I can get the data for you...real easy off the internet...then you can tell
fisherman you don't respect what they do also.

SamFisher

jplee3
01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I was totally going to threadjack and start posting pics of the 8lb Garibaldi I speared the other day at the Crystal Cove Underwater Park... man, those were some tasty fillets!
I also pulled a TON of smaller spiny lobsters too... the smaller the tastier!

:D

Nice catch man! Those are some GRUMPERS! I've never seen Sheepshead that huge!

BIGRED KILLA
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I was totally going to threadjack and start posting pics of the 8lb Garibaldi I speared the other day at the Crystal Cove Underwater Park... man, those were some tasty fillets!
I also pulled a TON of smaller spiny lobsters too... the smaller the tastier!

:D

Nice catch man! Those are some GRUMPERS! I've never seen Sheepshead that huge!

Wow you poacher i just called DFG....Any one want to go hunting this week end for bald eagles.

Bigred

ahhvtec
01-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Holy smokes, the first four posts on this page had me in stitches! What up MAV!?!

Also I have to agree, the guy took home 3 fish for god's sake.

FISHSTIX
01-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Very nice! Congrats on the upgrade to your pb, those goats are more like hogs!:Cool:

ghetto dad
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Wow, is this an RA union now????

GD

Oz
01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
OK now some pictures:
A lingcod resting on a rock. See how they use their fins as tripod!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/Diving/Diving11-28009.jpg

A sheephead deep in a cave while a lobster guards the entrance.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories043.jpg

A sculpin blending in to the background:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories054.jpg

And finally a cabezon sleep on the rocks:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories046.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/ocnak/memories050.jpg

man homie those are some awsome picz to c...cool to see what they do under the water when we not catching them :Cool: one of these years i might get into diving.

Cangler
01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Awesome report and fish ! More reports like this please !

Miggity_Mackerel_Daddy
01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Great catch Kanco! Sheepshead is by far my favorite eatin' fish. Good times!!

LA Smoker
01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
sweet underwater pics...

fish4keep
01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Kanco, how big do you think that cabby was??? Looks hugh.

kanco
01-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Fish4keep, The cabezon must have been at least 20 inches.

BIGRED KILLA
01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Cool thanks for the pics and report.It must be hard to dive when it's not lobster season and see all the bugs crawling and you no you can't get um.lol

Bigred

TShaffer
01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
The biggest fish you catch are by no means the ones you should keep. If a fish lives long enough to become a trophy fish that means it has the genes best fit for survival. That fish should be the one passing down its genes for the rest of the population to become better fit for survival. This is a proven fact and should be noted by all anglers. But at the same time every devoted angler deserves to catch his own trophy fish and do whatever he wants with it. If he chooses to release it, hey great, help the population. If he chooses to keep it, also great, an awesome meal and memory await him. Kanco I am by no means criticizing you. I would love to catch a fish that big and keep it. Nice job out there.

flopps1
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
The biggest fish you catch are by no means the ones you should keep. If a fish lives long enough to become a trophy fish that means it has the genes best fit for survival. That fish should be the one passing down its genes for the rest of the population to become better fit for survival. This is a proven fact and should be noted by all anglers. But at the same time every devoted angler deserves to catch his own trophy fish and do whatever he wants with it. If he chooses to release it, hey great, help the population. If he chooses to keep it, also great, an awesome meal and memory await him. Kanco I am by no means criticizing you. I would love to catch a fish that big and keep it. Nice job out there.

That's what I've been trying the say this whole friggin time! I believe Kanco got what I was saying and didn't take offense to it. But....we had a couple of DRAMA QUEENS jump in without really reading the post and thought kanco was getting ripped. Resulting in this whole post getting blown up.

Me personally???? CPR (Catch, photo, release) on the calico's all day!

fishncatalina
01-05-2009, 11:50 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/fishncatalina/more%20pics/eyeflash.gifhttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/fishncatalina/more%20pics/eyeflash.gif

fish4keep
01-06-2009, 08:08 AM
The biggest fish you catch are by no means the ones you should keep. .

So how do you know when it will be the biggest fish you catch????

Just trying to push it to 8 pgs.....

kanco
01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
So how do you know when it will be the biggest fish you catch????

No kidding. When I first got the two nice opaleye perch that morning, I thought they would be the biggest fish of the day.

Then I got calico and thought he might be the biggest fish of the day.

Then I shot the first sheep (18 lber) and thought he would be the biggest fish of the day.

But as I worked my way back to the boat, I saw the daddy billy goat gruff :) and he turned out to be the biggest fish of the day...I would had released him since he was the biggest fish of the day, but the way things were going, I thought there might still be a bigger one out there! LOL

SOSO
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Nice under water pics Kanco.. Thanks for sharing.. Your pics remind me of my coral reef aquarium. I have a shrimp that hangs out with the fish that lives in the rocks. Everytime my buds come over they want to fish my tank.

ahhvtec
01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
No kidding. When I first got the two nice opaleye perch that morning, I thought they would be the biggest fish of the day.

Then I got calico and thought he might be the biggest fish of the day.

Then I shot the first sheep (18 lber) and thought he would be the biggest fish of the day.

But as I worked my way back to the boat, I saw the daddy billy goat gruff :) and he turned out to be the biggest fish of the day...I would had released him since he was the biggest fish of the day, but the way things were going, I thought there might still be a bigger one out there! LOL

Glad I wasn't in the water you would have shot my arse too... LOL

Ricky-Ray
01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Nice under water pics Kanco.. Thanks for sharing.. Your pics remind me of my coral reef aquarium. I have a shrimp that hangs out with the fish that lives in the rocks. Everytime my buds come over they want to fish my tank.

Do I need to show you my license to fish your tank????

:ROFL:

pokerface12
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Congrats on your new pb sheephead. Very nice goat.

D-PESCADOR
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Well all i can say is cant make everybody happy , so fry them and eat them . Then re-read the post when your full and licking your fingers. Nice catch .

ronniek524
01-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Nice Sheeps... Any left over? :)

one_leg
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Are you kidding? I would have taken my limit of goats that size.

I usually only saw a couple on most dives. Good going.

flyngby
01-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Looked like a nice day for diving!!!!

fish_sauce
01-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Kanco,

thanks for sharing the pics! Saw this post yesterday and never got tired of looking at it over and over again! I even saved the cabbie picture as my desktop background :Wink:

congrats on the trophy fish!

Red Drum
01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Awesome report and pics. I need to start diving again.

fishon714
01-09-2009, 02:09 AM
I would like to see my son and future generations catch a calico of that size without having a fly a couple hundred miles to do so.

This sounds very selfish. You won't allow the man to catch 7 lbers "next time", but you
"would like to your son catch a calico of that size"....

My response would be, I do not want your son to catch a calico of that size in the future because I want my great great grandson catch one. Sounds weird eh?

These types of posts make people not want to post anymore.

fishon714

fishon714
01-09-2009, 02:19 AM
When i go fishing, i catch and release. catch and release. If the hook is stuck to far down, i say f it i'll just cut the line. I just hate seeing so many fish being kept for humans, think about the other things that live in the ocean that depend on the fish being caught.

It sounds to me you just don't like eating fish period, but enjoy catching and releasing them. That's too bad. Fish are supposed to be good for you.

fishon714

flopps1
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
This sounds very selfish. You won't allow the man to catch 7 lbers "next time", but you
"would like to your son catch a calico of that size"....

My response would be, I do not want your son to catch a calico of that size in the future because I want my great great grandson catch one. Sounds weird eh?

These types of posts make people not want to post anymore.

fishon714

Dude..What are you smoking? Did I ever say that anyone wasn't allowed to catch anything? Show me where! Don't think so! Understand what you reading before you comment!

And how do you get that it's sellfish when I say, "my son and future generations?" I'll break it down since you missed it the first time! Ready????? Here goes.....I'm not only referring to my kid, but your grandson and all kids in general!

Hopefully, it made sense this time around?

And maybe you shouldn't post if you can't get the facts straight!

JSAUCE818
01-09-2009, 08:05 AM
:ROFL:cant believe this is still going...lol

fish4keep
01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
:ROFL:cant believe this is still going...lol

Let's make it 10.... LOL

one_leg
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
California Sheepheads are one of the easiest species to spear in the entire ocean, other than big garibaldi's. They practically swim right up to you and ask for it after you crack open a few sea urchins. I might have killed a lot more had I not been busy spearing all the huge calicos I could find.

russ88
01-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Whoa nice Sheephead!!!! Didn’t know they get that big. Congrats on the PB Sheephead!

one_leg
01-09-2009, 05:35 PM
only on FNN will you have people crying about releasing fish but the second you tell them the location you were fishing they will come rape your spot ... another reason not to post reports here

too many haters here if they would have had the chance and the SKILL they would have done the same thing

I feel sorry for the anglers who use their own hard earned skill and knowledge to catch fish that just happen to show up at a location that unbeknownest to them has been blown up on a fishing website. They end up being labeled "vile lurkers" simply for having the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

ghetto dad
01-09-2009, 05:45 PM
only on FNN will you have people crying about releasing fish but the second you tell them the location you were fishing they will come rape your spot ... another reason not to post reports here

too many haters here if they would have had the chance and the SKILL they would have done the same thing

Yeah, i agree...you should NOT post here....YOU should not......

GD

ghetto dad
01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
California Sheepheads are one of the easiest species to spear in the entire ocean, other than big garibaldi's. They practically swim right up to you and ask for it after you crack open a few sea urchins. I might have killed a lot more had I not been busy spearing all the huge calicos I could find.

wow...thats sporting...thats like spearing a kitty cat that comes up to u purring.....

GD

kanco
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
To the ones that just commented on the catch.....THANKS again!

To the others still arguing about this.....JUST MOVE ON....sometimes the nicest thing to do is just not say anything at all!

To a certain degree you are right. The young female sheep are fairly easy to nail, but try getting close to a large male. :) large Calicos huh....still adding fuel to the fire huh!

Stating the ease of spearfishing, is like saying that catching fish with line and hook is so ease and does not require any skill because all you have to do is slap a worm or bait on a hook and toss it in the water and wait for the fish to hook himself...how sporty is that? It just doesn't sound right! The ease of catching a 29 lbs sheephead is backed by the dozen of reports on this site of people doing it RIGHT?

As I stated before, To Each His Own. The only reason I posted it to begin with, was that I was very happy with my catch and wanted share it with everyone. I did not do it to seek anyone's approval or opinion.

Whether you like it or not, there is nothing you can do about it now. As I told one of my buddies...in a way I did practice catch and release, since this fish is half way back to the ocean already...via our sewer system. LOL

one_leg
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Ha Ha Ha, I was just being honest. I killed big calicos, but I preferred to free dive while spearfishing. No other way to get close to the really wary species. I guess I am a snob. Your fish are huge. That calico is a great catch, since they are a lot harder to get close to the older they get. Once they are legal sized they present a profile shot a lot less often. I saw lots of people bang big fish on the head with a glancing blow only to have the fish swim away with brain damage. The fact that you got it in the first place is a sign of your skill as a spearfishman. Congrats to you on the fine catch.

Fuel on the fire? Who me?

BIGRED KILLA
01-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Alan do you float when you dive with your wooden leg...:Wink:

Bigred

one_leg
01-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Alan do you float when you dive with your wooden leg...:Wink:

Bigred

Nope!!!

They're made of carbon fiber, titanium, and aluminum.

klocked
01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Nice job Kanco!!

There are larger Sheephead than those around. 30 years ago when I took my dive class, we had 2 beach dives and 1 boat dive as part of the class. We did our beach dive near I think what is called bird rock at Catalina. At one point in our dive the instructor cracked open a few huge sea urchins and handed a piece to my partner and I and the next thing I knew there were fish coming in from all directions. I remember seeing these huge sheephead that almost scared me out of the water because they were so big and aggressive. It was an amazing sight to see..... 30 years ago:LOL:

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 09:56 PM
okay, i do not respect spear fishing if that is what you call it. more like got dam, just go fishing with a rod and a pole. Do you really need a gun? Also, When i go fishing, If the hook is stuck to far down, i say f it i'll just cut the line.

So what is worse.
Gut hooking a fish you do not want to keep.
Or....
Not pulling the trigger on a fish you do not want to keep.? :Rolls Eyes:

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Kind of like yellowtail and Dorado
You wave at them underwater.
They get curious and swim right up to you.

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
wow...thats sporting...thats like spearing a kitty cat that comes up to u purring.....

GD
Kind of like the poor hungry fishy thats out looking for a meal.
Finds himself a nice meal to bite into.
Then finds out someone stuck a hook inside his tasty meal. :Bug Eyes:
Thats just plain rude :LOL:

BIGRED KILLA
01-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Nice job Kanco!!

There are larger Sheephead than those around. 30 years ago when I took my dive class, we had 2 beach dives and 1 boat dive as part of the class. We did our beach dive near I think what is called bird rock at Catalina. At one point in our dive the instructor cracked open a few huge sea urchins and handed a piece to my partner and I and the next thing I knew there were fish coming in from all directions. I remember seeing these huge sheephead that almost scared me out of the water because they were so big and aggressive. It was an amazing sight to see..... 30 years ago:LOL:

Lol when i was reading this i was going to say ya 30 years ago lol but then i read the end.That must have been a cool sight to see i would rather see a big sheepe then a big white shark any day.

Bigred

SamFisher
01-10-2009, 12:18 AM
30 years ago!!! Ha ha ha those fish didn't get scarce. They are still around....40#+.
Read a few pages back...I told everyone where they were.

I've also seen Calico's in the water that will go 20#. My dive buddy and I were working
our way back form a long freedive session and out of nowhere, this big fat Calico
swam in front of us. Lucky for the fish, we already took the bands off the spear and no
time to reload. All we could do is look at each other in AWE!!!

Another day, I was working some think kelp and I popped up from a breath hold. I saw
another Calico sleeping in the middle of the kelp. At first, I couldn't see the size cuz
I was only focused on it's eyes. as I widened my view, I noticed how huge this fish was.
It was as big as the 20#'er my buddy and I saw. This fish was lucky cuz my float line was
hung up in the kelp and I could not raise my gun to take the shot. A short while after that,
the fish wakes up and takes off to live another day. If I see that thing again I'm going to
shoot it.

SamFisher

Ya, 11 pages!!!!!!!!!

BIGRED KILLA
01-10-2009, 12:57 AM
30 years ago!!! Ha ha ha those fish didn't get scarce. They are still around....40#+.
Read a few pages back...I told everyone where they were.

I've also seen Calico's in the water that will go 20#. My dive buddy and I were working
our way back form a long freedive session and out of nowhere, this big fat Calico
swam in front of us. Lucky for the fish, we already took the bands off the spear and no
time to reload. All we could do is look at each other in AWE!!!

Another day, I was working some think kelp and I popped up from a breath hold. I saw
another Calico sleeping in the middle of the kelp. At first, I couldn't see the size cuz
I was only focused on it's eyes. as I widened my view, I noticed how huge this fish was.
It was as big as the 20#'er my buddy and I saw. This fish was lucky cuz my float line was
hung up in the kelp and I could not raise my gun to take the shot. A short while after that,
the fish wakes up and takes off to live another day. If I see that thing again I'm going to
shoot it.

SamFisher

Ya, 11 pages!!!!!!!!!

They are still around it's just about the numbers on the bigger models.You should have shot that big calico that would have been such a cool photo bragging rights for a week right.psshh

Bigred

klocked
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
SamFisher, I never said they got scarce but after re-reading my own post I can see how it looks like I might have implied that "myth?". I have no doubt they are still around. I've seen them with my own eyes, just like the butts. They too are still around in good numbers.

Since this is a board related to fishermen using fishing gear, I think this post is a bit misplaced and would be better off on a spearfishing board to share with likeminded people who would appreciate it more.

Wingnut
01-10-2009, 04:10 PM

GD

Exactly what I was thinking Steve. Lame. :Rolls Eyes:

Kanco, congrats on the monster Sheephead, that pic of the kid laying next to the fish was too cool. :Cool:

BIGRED KILLA
01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Kind of like yellowtail and Dorado
You wave at them underwater.
They get curious and swim right up to you.

Esp if you have a white glove on.

Bigred

klocked
01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
"Got any more urchin for me?"
http://week.divebums.com/2006/Nov06-2006/sheephead_herb-gruenhagen.jpg

tpfishnfool
01-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Awsome read guys ! Great catch on those pig goats !! What do they taste like ? We always gave em away .

ahhvtec
01-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Let's go hunting!!!!! I ma shoot me the orange ones...

Huge Sculpin! Probably a 5 pounder.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03406.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03408.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03409.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03410.jpg

Fat Calico
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03411.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03412.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03413.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03414.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03415.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03416.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03417.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03418.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03420.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03421.jpg

Bugs
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03422.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03423.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03424.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03425.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03426.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03428.jpg

More Checkers...
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03429.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03430.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03431.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03432.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03434.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03435.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03436.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03437.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03438.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03439.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03440.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03441.jpg

ahhvtec
01-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Kind of like the poor hungry fishy thats out looking for a meal.
Finds himself a nice meal to bite into.
Then finds out someone stuck a hook inside his tasty meal. :Bug Eyes:
Thats just plain rude :LOL:

HAHAHAHAHA! I love this guy!

Oz
01-11-2009, 05:07 PM
awsome picz duc :Cool:

Tail Chaser
01-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Very cool pics there ahhvtec.
You really have to have a good eye to spot some of them fish.
I never would have expected to see a halibut laying on a reef.
The orange fish really are the best ones to shot.
They show up in your crosshairs much better :LOL:

BIGRED KILLA
01-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Very cool pics there ahhvtec.
You really have to have a good eye to spot some of them fish.
I never would have expected to see a halibut laying on a reef.
The orange fish really are the best ones to shot.
They show up in your crosshairs much better :LOL:

The shapes of the tail and the body marks is not a hali its a Flounder/Soul.

Thanks for the great pics ahhvtec.

Bigred

one_leg
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Duc, I am gonna dive on scuba again this year for sure. Thanks for the posting the incentive.

Kanco, has all of the sheephead been released back into the ocean from the sh*t Pipe yet?

Tail Chaser
01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
The shapes of the tail and the body marks is not a hali its a Flounder/Soul.

Thanks for the great pics ahhvtec.

Bigred

I didnt look very close. Probably still would have thought it was a Butt though.:Embarrassed:

Well at least now I will not be tempted to try for some halibut on the reefs :LOL:

ahhvtec
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
That was dive #2, here are pics from the first dive yesterday...

Bugs everywhere!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03378.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03385.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03394.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03395.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03378.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03383.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03388.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03392.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/fishs2k/Dive/2009/1-10-2009/DSC03375.jpg

Nessie Hunter
01-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Show Offs........... :Evil:

:ROFL::ROFL:

kanco
01-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Kanco, has all of the sheephead been released back into the ocean from the sh*t Pipe yet?

I only practice C&R that way! Those goats are already feeding the next large calico that I am going to nail! LOL

ahhvtec
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
next large calico that I am going to nail! LOL

Ooooh you filthy whore...

Tail Chaser
01-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Is it true that visibility for diving is better during a windy Santa Ana condition?
You sure look more buoyant with your dive gear then I do free diving.
I know its the buoyancy compensator though.

Very cool pics again :Thumbs Up:

ahhvtec
01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Is it true that visibility for diving is better during a windy Santa Ana condition?
You sure look more buoyant with your dive gear then I do free diving.
I know its the buoyancy compensator though.

Very cool pics again :Thumbs Up:

Nah has nothing to do with the santa anas, just that this time of year water clarity is bitchen though I have not been diving that long to say much. As that pic of that jackass in front of his boat, that is not me just one of my buddies. I think floats cuz his head is full of... HAHAHAHA!

Thanks for the props bud...

Duc

hoosierfisher
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Kanco,

Great posting. I thought you shared your passion and you let people know you know what you are doing...

Kanco, don't pay attention to all the haters, Monday morning quaterbacks, police officers, Marine Biologiest, Save the Whale People, Green Peace, Vegetarians and instigators.

Some reply postings can come across the wrong way even when they mean it in a most kind way. They just want to share their thoughts, but it can come across the wrong way on the internet posting. It happens and people get emotional... It's almost comical...

Two years ago, I once shared my 40+ striper on rod and reel off Newport Beach and I got hammered by all the haters (I ended up deleting the post). I thought my parents and high school teachers from years ago were on FNN - no joke.

Some people just write just to get a rise out of you (this is sad).

Some are real conservation minded people and my hats are off to them for I respect their ways.

Regardless, I thought you had a time of your life and I felt like I was there with detailed report and great pics......

Great posting - keep 'em coming pal....

BIGRED KILLA
01-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Kanco,

Great posting. I thought you shared your passion and you let people know you know what you are doing...

Kanco, don't pay attention to all the haters, Monday morning quaterbacks, police officers, Marine Biologiest, Save the Whale People, Green Peace, Vegetarians and instigators.

Some reply postings can come across the wrong way even when they mean it in a most kind way. They just want to share their thoughts, but it can come across the wrong way on the internet posting. It happens and people get emotional... It's almost comical...

Two years ago, I once shared my 40+ striper on rod and reel off Newport Beach and I got hammered by all the haters (I ended up deleting the post). I thought my parents and high school teachers from years ago were on FNN - no joke.

Some people just write just to get a rise out of you (this is sad).

Some are real conservation minded people and my hats are off to them for I respect their ways.

Regardless, I thought you had a time of your life and I felt like I was there with detailed report and great pics......

Great posting - keep 'em coming pal....

You forgot about Peta.

Bigred

hoosierfisher
01-13-2009, 11:23 PM

GD

Right on man ... Right on.....

kanco
01-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks Hoosierfisher!

Check this week's copy of WESTERN OUTDOOR NEWS newspaper :)

What what's there? LOL

NY4Reels!
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Edwin... what a frikin beast of a goat!!

Absolutely love the second pic. Huge teeth!!

ahhvtec
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Congrats queer eye for a queer guy!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/fknricter/P1130200.jpg

Tail Chaser
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Nah has nothing to do with the santa anas, just that this time of year water clarity is bitchen though I have not been diving that long to say much. As that pic of that jackass in front of his boat, that is not me just one of my buddies. I think floats cuz his head is full of... HAHAHAHA!

Thanks for the props bud...

Duc
Thanks,
I always figured a Santa Ana condition will just about always be a small craft warning.
Someone told me Santa Ana windsis the best time to dive.
That did not sound right.
Goes to show, You cant always believe everything you hear.

The diver with the pvt boat in the background is a cool pic also.
Looks cool looking up at pvt boats from sea level. With the dive flag and all.

ahhvtec
01-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks,

Right? You almost never see pictures like that. At least not at water level...

SamFisher
01-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks,
I always figured a Santa Ana condition will just about always be a small craft warning.
Someone told me Santa Ana windsis the best time to dive.
That did not sound right.
Goes to show, You cant always believe everything you hear.

There are two good reasons why diving is better in the fall and and winter.. The biggest
reason is that the plankton are done having their orgy. In other words no more warm water
plankton bloom. The other reason is the Santa Anna winds. The off shore Santa Ana winds
blow out all the crap in or on the water. The only bad thing is the diver runs a risk to being
blown out to sea. I always want to be in the water at the tail end or just after the Santa
Ana winds.

SamFisher

Tail Chaser
01-16-2009, 10:54 AM
There are two good reasons why diving is better in the fall and and winter.. The biggest
reason is that the plankton are done having their orgy. In other words no more warm water
plankton bloom. The other reason is the Santa Anna winds. The off shore Santa Ana winds
blow out all the crap in or on the water. The only bad thing is the diver runs a risk to being
blown out to sea. I always want to be in the water at the tail end or just after the Santa
Ana winds.

SamFisher

Thanks Samfisher
I was assuming the Santa Ana winds with the rough water and whitecaps and all would stir up the water. Hurting visibility.
I really appreciate that info on winter conditions.
WSB and Halibut hunting with good dive conditions in the winter.
Yellowtail and Butt hunting with warmer water diving in the summer.
No waiting for best time of the year :Cool:
The 07 season was bitchin.
The 08 season was a joke. I had 7 months off work first part of the year. Reading fish reports blah,blah, blah.
Got real busy second half of year. Then not liking the fish reports. Only did two over night trips to Catalina for the entire year.
I'm going to turn that around for 09.
Definitely not waiting for good reports before I go out in 09

Once again, thanks for the info.

kanco
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
If everyone waited for good reports, then no one would be out on the water fishing or diving. You got to get out there and make the reports happen. It's all about being at the right place at the right time! Most often it happens by luck!

one_leg
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
If everyone waited for good reports, then no one would be out on the water fishing or diving. You got to get out there and make the reports happen. It's all about being at the right place at the right time! Most often it happens by luck!

I'd have to disagree with that last statement.

I think that knowledge is a much more important factor in a successful outing.

Tail Chaser
01-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Yep!........
I blew it for the 08 season.
But Hey...... My boat engines going to last one year longer :LOL:

one_leg
01-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Samfisher
I was assuming the Santa Ana winds with the rough water and whitecaps and all would stir up the water. Hurting visibility.

Actually the opposite is true. The Santa Ana winds cause the surface waters to be blown offshore allowing an upwelling of colder nutrient rich waters to replace them. This water is typically very clear.

Tail Chaser
01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Thats cool,
Guess you always have to dive after the Santa Ana Winds.
I'm sure its always a small craft warning during the winds.
Guess the winds make the water clean/clear for good fishing.
But.... also turns the water cold for bad fishing.

HBJapo
01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Awesome! Those are some tasty feeeesh!

Japo :Envious:

fishtacosmmm
02-03-2009, 07:13 AM
that's a BIG "vieja" dude
congratulations

Hitts0n
02-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Dayum man that look like great eating!!

:Worship::Worship:

JESSEJAMES
02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
props on spearing those fatties... ive shot at fish but never hit one hahah... those underwater pics are sweet and were takin on my birthday 12/19 i was prolly in a bar fight round that time... oh and if i catch any fish over 5 pounds im cutting its head off gutting it and eating some poopy *** meats!

crappie stalker
02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Man that is a huge GOAT!! Great going on your dive and slayings..

CS