PDA

View Full Version : Cold and Foggy at Lake Mission Viejo w/pics

Loggoog
01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I went out today with my grandfather who loves to fish. We get to the lake at 9 and it is super foggy and cold. We get out on a boat and go where the fish have been biting for me, the first cove. We noticed as we began fishing, the lifeguards were extending the yellow small swim buoys to make the swim area larger. Once we are anchored at the usual spot, we wait about 20 minutes then my rod starts to jerk. I set the hook and it fought super hard. it jumped about twice and then my grandfather managed to net the fish. It tapped out at 3.2lbs according to the Rapala digital scale. We waited an hour with no luck, and my grandfather asked if we should try another spot. Just as I was bringing in the front anchor, my ultralite rod bends and I set the hook. It did not fight as hard as the first fish, but it was still a blast and it weighed a good 2.11lbs. After that, I did manage to hook into a smaller one, who jumped seriously about 3 feet out of the water and snapped the 2 pound test. After, nothing. I really was dissapointed I didn't get my grandfather a fish. I set him up just as my rod was, but still to no avail. Maybe next time.

For some strange reason, these Nebraska trout don't seem to disperse throughout the lake. They just seem to sit on the sandy areas of the north side and have not moved since the stockings. I wonder when they will branch out.

-Loggoog

BigBass777
01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
The Nebraska trout have been picky this year. Not 1 type of lure will catch them consistently. Have 4 or 5 rods with you so you don't have to keep on tying on different baits.

They just gotta keep on makeing things more difficult don't they! What the heck! They moved the yellow buoys for what? How far down did they move them? Or did they move them outward? Those fish have been swimming in 2ft-3ft of water and between the yellow buoys for over a month now. They stocked 4,500lbs in the swimbeach on 12/19/08. What do they expect? They should just put a light mesh net attached with heavy weights or concrete all the way around the swimbeach and it will keep the fish out. No more problems with lures ending up in a swim zone. It appears the stocking on 12/30/08 has most of the fish swimming in the marina. This year has been awefully tough and the fishing pressure is light.The trout tournaments have had a lousy turnout compared with last year and years before. Mind as well stock the Mt. Lassen fish or go with the Utah Hookjaw once the hatchery is cleared of the whirling disease. I went on Thursday and we did good but it took quite some time to find them. Very few boats out and fish are scattered everywhere. The fish we caught are 2.5-5lbs. The bass are much easier to find.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s70/Reelanglers/LMV.jpg

camrydad
01-03-2009, 03:38 AM
The Nebraska trout have been picky this year. Not 1 type of lure will catch them consistently. Have 4 or 5 rods with you so you don't have to keep on tying on different baits.

They just gotta keep on makeing things more difficult don't they! What the heck! They moved the yellow buoys for what? How far down did they move them? Or did they move them outward? Those fish have been swimming in 2ft-3ft of water and between the yellow buoys for over a month now. They stocked 4,500lbs in the swimbeach on 12/19/08. What do they expect? They should just put a light mesh net attached with heavy weights or concrete all the way around the swimbeach and it will keep the fish out. No more problems with lures ending up in a swim zone. It appears the stocking on 12/30/08 has most of the fish swimming in the marina. This year has been awefully tough and the fishing pressure is light.The trout tournaments have had a lousy turnout compared with last year and years before. Mind as well stock the Mt. Lassen fish or go with the Utah Hookjaw once the hatchery is cleared of the whirling disease. I went on Thursday and we did good but it took quite some time to find them. Very few boats out and fish are scattered everywhere. The fish we caught are 2.5-5lbs. The bass are much easier to find.

Were you guys out there on 12/31? I thought I saw you guys head out as the kids trout derby was getting started.