PDA

View Full Version : father of the year candidates and a short report

Rick James
01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
fished irvine new years eve and the 3 of us caught our limits of smallish trout to about a 1.5lbs. nothing special to write home about. caught them along the west shore on split-shot trout worms.

I've been here once this year and once last year and i've seen on both occasions a father of the year candidate. The first time i was out we stopped by the kids lagoon so my little cousins could catch some fish. Across the way from us was a guy and his son about 6 years old. The dad hooks a fish on bait and starts reeling it in when his son comes over and asks if he could reel it in. His dad says hold on then proceeds to reel in the fish all while the kid sits there watching. This went on for the next 2 fish they caught. Really pathetic.

A few days ago while ready to take off a dad hooks up to a fish and his daughter comes running over with the net and says "trade?" I didn't hear what he said but he ends up reeling the fish in. As its getting close to shore she puts down the net close to the water and this idiot bounces the fish over the net and onto land. She just kind of stands there and then walks away as he goes to take the hook out. All this for a trout that might have gone 1lb if it was lucky.

Anyway i just don't even see the reason why some of these idiots even bring they're kids with them if they don't plan on letting them fish. I know when i bring my kid down i don't real in a single fish all day. I have to hear it later how he caught x amount and i caught none but thats cool with me. I have seen plenty of fathers let they're kids reel in fish and keep them involved or teaching them but i'm just speaking of the few i've seen each time i've gone. Rant over.

ghetto dad
01-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, i HATE that man...when my lil girl is fishing with me, i NEVER reel in fish.....but my lil girl loves me, and after a few, she says "You can do it daddy, its your turn".....i love my girl

GD

SQUIRREL
01-02-2009, 01:38 PM
That shouldn't be allowed. if someone see this happening they should report it.
if I am right it said for kids only.
Dad or mom should have there arms around the kids and guide there little hands, and show them how.

just my 2cents

Andy

ghetto dad
01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
That shouldn't be allowed. if someone see this happening they should report it.
if I am right it said for kids only.
Dad or mom should have there arms around the kids and guide there little hands, and show them how.

just my 2cents

Andy

yeah, i concur...

GD

Granny Fish
01-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Anyway i just don't even see the reason why some of these idiots even bring they're kids with them if they don't plan on letting them fish. I know when i bring my kid down i don't real in a single fish all day. I have to hear it later how he caught x amount and i caught none but thats cool with me. I have seen plenty of fathers let they're kids reel in fish and keep them involved or teaching them but i'm just speaking of the few i've seen each time i've gone. Rant over.

Absolutely. When I was teaching Stickfighter to fish I rarely did anything except bait up, cast and net. One day he got smart and decided that no one else had caught a fish except him and he started handing off his rod to me or Grandpa so we could catch one too. How cute is that? Now that he has learned how to net fish he almost likes doing that as much as catching them himself. :LOL: I took him fishing Thanksgiving (he is 6 now) and he informed me that he can cast on his own now, cause he is a lot bigger than he used to be. :Embarrassed:

Nothing beats watching kids catch fish. :Cool:

ghetto dad
01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Absolutely. When I was teaching Stickfighter to fish I rarely did anything except bait up, cast and net. One day he got smart and decided that no one else had caught a fish except him and he started handing off his rod to me or Grandpa so we could catch one too. How cute is that? Now that he has learned how to net fish he almost likes doing that as much as catching them himself. :LOL: I took him fishing Thanksgiving (he is 6 now) and he informed me that he can cast on his own now, cause he is a lot bigger than he used to be. :Embarrassed:

Nothing beats watching kids catch fish. :Cool:

hey granny....yeah...my daughter does that too....and she also sometimes seems like she has more fun netting the fish than catching....lol..why is that?????

GD

BingJr
01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
hey granny....yeah...my daughter does that too....and she also sometimes seems like she has more fun netting the fish than catching....lol..why is that?????

GD

:LOL: My youngest does the same thing, he is 7. His rod goes bendo, I yell Aiden your on!, he runs up the hill to get the net and one of his brothers has to get his rod. It is the weirdest thing.

Mondo21
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
On 12/31/2008 I fished with one of Irvine's Legend's Dr. Hook! Dr. Hook(Art) lines was on fire! He was bouncing from one rod to the other. He saw this 8 year old kid name Arick. Arick was with his Dad and Grandpa.,but didn't seem to be having too much fun,Dad and Grandpa was doing the fishing mostly. When Dr. Hook got the next bite he called Arick over and let him catch the fish over and over and let him keep the fish also. The kid lit up like a light bulb! Way to go Dr. Hook. Cindy:Big Grin::Envious:

fishincrave
01-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Some dads just don't know have to have fun with there kids when there out fishing, if the kid will loose the fish or something so what let the kids reel in the fish and if the fish comes off so what .
When i take my kids fishing on shore and it's not crowded they usually cast and do all the fishing them selves but when it's crowded i usually cast for my little one but she brings the fish her self and she loves it :Smile:

E.A.R.G.
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
i've got TWO stories for you

first one.. LNL this past week, a dad is reeling in a fish while her daughter is right there watching. I forgot the girls name, the dude yelled it out once but i forgot... for story purposes we'll just use "carol"
if thats not bad enough, the line snaps and the dad FARMS the fish, and then he yells "CAROL! look what you did!" and he blames the daughter for the loss. ??? how messed is that??

STORY TWO

I was fishing SARL about a month back, and this dad and his son walks up to me asking what im using and stuff like that. The kid is amazed to see a few fish on my stringer because they have never caught a fish in their lives. Right then I get a bite, I set the hook and pass the rod to the kid. then the DAD TAKES the pole and reels in the fish

some fathers out there

rip555
01-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Those are some sweet stories. I am a father of a 16 month old daughter and I can't wait until she is old enough to start reeling in some fish. She's going to have only the best gear. She's already got a set-up waiting for her. I love how everything is so fresh and new through their eyes.

Here's a cool story. I went to Castaic Lagoon today and a father accompanied his son fishing. The thing is that the father doesn't even like fishing.

gavin310
01-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Here's a cool story. I went to Castaic Lagoon today and a father accompanied his son fishing. The thing is that the father doesn't even like fishing.

Awesome... that might be the REAL father of the year.

AnGleR
01-03-2009, 02:46 AM
I would have had a great time with my son but unfortunately the FNN'ers were hogging Trout Island and some fat guy sitting in his truck bed was yelling at me to "Stay outside the yellow bouy's"

Anyway, next time I'm going inside the yellow bouy's and there's nothing your going to do about it.

ghetto dad
01-03-2009, 07:40 AM
I would have had a great time with my son but unfortunately the FNN'ers were hogging Trout Island and some fat guy sitting in his truck bed was yelling at me to "Stay outside the yellow bouy's"

Anyway, next time I'm going inside the yellow bouy's and there's nothing your going to do about it.

where do these new people with posts like this come from???

GD

Mondo21
01-03-2009, 08:01 AM
i've got TWO stories for you

first one.. LNL this past week, a dad is reeling in a fish while her daughter is right there watching. I forgot the girls name, the dude yelled it out once but i forgot... for story purposes we'll just use "carol"
if thats not bad enough, the line snaps and the dad FARMS the fish, and then he yells "CAROL! look what you did!" and he blames the daughter for the loss. ??? how messed is that??

STORY TWO

I was fishing SARL about a month back, and this dad and his son walks up to me asking what im using and stuff like that. The kid is amazed to see a few fish on my stringer because they have never caught a fish in their lives. Right then I get a bite, I set the hook and pass the rod to the kid. then the DAD TAKES the pole and reels in the fish

some fathers out there

I don't want to use the language :Angry:I'm thinking of,for thr 2nd. father. But how stupid was that, I would of said something!!!

Granny Fish
01-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Really doesn't matter cause the lake security would have kicked you out of there anyways. :Wink:

Sue
01-03-2009, 01:49 PM
where do these new people with posts like this come from???

GD

I think the junior school re-opens next week :ROFL:

troutdog
01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Nice job on the new years eve limits, I heard fishing was pretty good on Wednesday....I wish I coulda made it out there.

It is too bad some adults just "don't get it", watching my daughter remove the bite indicator, set the hook and reel in her own fish is nothing short of priceless to me.

Thanks for the report,

TD

BigBass777
01-04-2009, 12:48 PM
These pay to fish lakes sometimes get the dads to overlook the joy in fishing with the kids. It's a lot of money to get in for one thing if you have a few with you. So it's dinner and not really about what they could of caught. get a child to reel in a 10lbr and that face/picturwe will be on file for many years.

I fish Lake Mission Viejo during the trout season and they have tournaments to get the kids to come out. These tournaments are all about teaching kids how to fish. The prizes range from $10,$15,$25,$30 gift cards to Sport Chalet,rod n reel combos,trout tackle packages,nets, stringers,fishing line, and plier kits. The most weight of fish here is not used so it gives the kids a chance to win. A bling bogey weight is used for everyone in each division. 2-11,12-17 and the adults. $4 for kids to enter and $5 for adults. If blind bogey weight is 5lbs you can go over or under to win. It gives the kids a chance to compete and feel good about what they caught and win a prize.

In 2007 I got my neighbor to fish a tourney for the 1st time with his 7 yr old daughter. I baited and netted all the fish for them. They had there limit but I had 1 fish in the last reamaining hour. It was windy,40 degress outside, and ,my hands were freezing red netting the fish and takin hooks out. I did get 3 more for a limit. They had a great time and have been fishing since. His daughter wants to go fishing all the time now. That's what will happen when you let the kids have a turn on the reel. It's better than them being elsewhere like on the streets.

ghetto dad
01-04-2009, 12:51 PM
These pay to fish lakes sometimes get the dads to overlook the joy in fishing with the kids. It's a lot of money to get in for one thing if you have a few with you. So it's dinner and not really about what they could of caught. get a child to reel in a 10lbr and that face/picturwe will be on file for many years.

I fish Lake Mission Viejo during the trout season and they have tournaments to get the kids to come out. These tournaments are all about teaching kids how to fish. The prizes range from $10,$15,$25,$30 gift cards to Sport Chalet,rod n reel combos,trout tackle packages,nets, stringers,fishing line, and plier kits. The most weight of fish here is not used so it gives the kids a chance to win. A bling bogey weight is used for everyone in each division. 2-11,12-17 and the adults. $4 for kids to enter and $5 for adults. If blind bogey weight is 5lbs you can go over or under to win. It gives the kids a chance to compete and feel good about what they caught and win a prize.

In 2007 I got my neighbor to fish a tourney for the 1st time with his 7 yr old daughter. I baited and netted all the fish for them. They had there limit but I had 1 fish in the last reamaining hour. It was windy,40 degress outside, and ,my hands were freezing red netting the fish and takin hooks out. I did get 3 more for a limit. They had a great time and have been fishing since. His daughter wants to go fishing all the time now. That's what will happen when you let the kids have a turn on the reel. It's better than them being elsewhere like on the streets.

nice man....

GD

dirty girl
01-04-2009, 01:44 PM
FisherBrat and I were on the south shore NY Eve and were amazed at one dad. He was fishing by himself for about an hour when his 2 kids (about 5 and 6) figured out how to get out of their car seats, escaped from his car, and ran around the shore. He wanted nothing to do with them and he fished in relative peace from the boat launch area most of the morning. He had the honey hole and was reeling in fish after fish; he only engaged them by yelling at them whenever they came up to him for attention.

We were fishing next to two other groups of guys with young sons who were having fun with their boys. So naturally, those two kids spent more time around our areas, where the adults were warm and giving attention to the kids.

FisherBrat and I tried to be friendly but we had four rods out and FB was on fire; I had my hands full baiting, netting, and stringing. I love kids but fishing time with FB is precious to me (and it was WFO!). It was just him and me today, and I wasn't there to babysit some stranger's kids.

At one point, FB had to beach a fish when I dumped the net to chase the little girl because she was running around the shore with a (worm blower) syringe. She also had a treble hook caught on her pant leg with lines dragging behind her. The little boy got bored and cast one of dad's rods over all our lines and 3 others. FB and I were totally ok with it but dad went off. Of course, he kept on fishing, while FB, our neighbors, and I untangled the boy's lines from ours.

Yeah, I really dont get it at all.

BingJr
01-04-2009, 01:45 PM

I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what positive and insightful content AnGleR can add to FNN with Post #3!

I am not sure there should be an L in his name.

I guess it takes all kinds to make a village.

Troutman65
01-05-2009, 02:15 AM

:Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePop ::Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePo p:

:Idea:

Mondo21
01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
:Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePop ::Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePop::Shocked::EyePo p:

:Idea:

Does that man sounds familiar to you Patrick ?!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Cindy

Dan_the_Man
01-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Wow, you know somethings not right in the noggin when the Reply is "Would Have" instead of making a better day of a bad experience. And "Next Time I'm Going..... Nothing Your Going to do About It" is the attitude of the day.

My thoughts are that this guy needs Angler Management !!

..Tight Lines, Sweet Spots & Keepin It Reel
Dan The Man