PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Stradic and Saros 1000

husonfirst
01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm looking to get either the Stradic or Saros in the 1000 size. It will be used primarily for trout fishing with 2 to 4 lb. test. It'll also see some double-duty as a light bassin reel.

I know the mechanical differences between the two reels. What about the physical differences though? The Stradic's spool looks to be taller though both have the same line capacity. I read that the Saros is really a 750 body with a 1000 sized spool. Is this true of the Stradic as well?

That Dang Guy
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Best bang for your buck is the Saros. The stradic has some mechanical differences, AeroX being one of them, but the Saros is a smaller frame. The Stradic 1000 is heavier than the Saros 1000 and the Stradic 1000 MG is lightly lighter. (.1 oz). They are both just as smooth. In the long run, the Stradic will feel slightly smoother. Save your money and buy a nicer trout rod. ;)

Edit. At 2 or 4 lb line line capacity is never an issue. A wider spool might help a bit, but if the stradic spool is the same diameter, the diameter of the loops is the same. In other words, you gain no benefit. If you were comparing a Sustain 1000 vs a Stradic 1000, I'd be more inclined to say spend the extra money. The sustain has more bearins and will retain a smoothness almost comparable to a Stella for the lifetime of the reel.