PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used this float tube holder and fish finder?

BassEngineer
01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
I was thinking of getting either the Humminbird Fishin Buddy 120 or 130 with this float tube holder...does anyone have any experience with these?

Fishfinder:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat20166-cat602011_TGP&id=0052954019726a&navCount=4&podId=0052954&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat602011&hasJS=true

Holder:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/readonly-item.jsp?id=317636&podId=0052954&productId=0052954019726a&itemTemplate=item-added&cmCat=null&hasJS=true

one_leg
01-02-2009, 10:22 AM
You are gonna want a side scanning sonar.

I have used the fishing buddy once on a BOAT but did not think very much of it.
The mount was cumbersome and didn't want to stay on place at anything over idle speed.
It would slid up in the holder a bit which made it point backwards about 15 degrees from vertical.
If you are gonna use it on a float tube I guess that will not be a problem.

BassEngineer
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
You are gonna want a side scanning sonar.

I have used the fishing buddy once on a BOAT but did not think very much of it.
The mount was cumbersome and didn't want to stay on place at anything over idle speed.
It would slid up in the holder a bit which made it point backwards about 15 degrees from vertical.
If you are gonna use it on a float tube I guess that will not be a problem.

The 120 and 130 models have side scanning.
I am hoping the holder will keep it vertical and not tilt "15 degrees"....I hope someone knows.

beano
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I have the exact float tube holder for my tube and it works just fine. I have also used the plastic bracket it comes with and it broke when using it on my friends conoe. If you are on a boat or something that can carry speed then it will tilt, but if your just on a tube it works fine. I still havent tested it on my toon yet. Hope this helps!

BassEngineer
01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I have the exact float tube holder for my tube and it works just fine. I have also used the plastic bracket it comes with and it broke when using it on my friends conoe. If you are on a boat or something that can carry speed then it will tilt, but if your just on a tube it works fine. I still havent tested it on my toon yet. Hope this helps!

Yes...thanks...I have more confidence in the product now. Which fish finder do you use? Do you have any experience with the ones I listed above?

beano
01-03-2009, 01:32 AM
I have the older fishing buddy, I dont think its a hummingbird. I use it mainly for depth and water temp. I'm no expert when it comes to fish finders and i do think it only shows whats right under me. In the future I will be upgrading, but for now its all I have and serves its purpose.

WARRIORMIKE
01-03-2009, 04:50 AM
you'll be ok. Works great!!

CTfishman
01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I just wanted to add to the Humminbird and the float tube question I have a FC4 set up with a 3 tube pole holder and the H 130 and I just incorperated the holder and finder . I used the thin wall pvc and used a 3/4 to 1I/4 adapter and cut it to fit ( on an angle ) to make it set straight . I used So Cal Bass man's model of a pole holder and adapted to it. Hope that gives you and idea of how it sets up. I really like mine, it serves me well. I'm at Parris and Jinks , Gregory, and am going to start going to the Wood soon.

Chris

BassEngineer
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I bought the fish finder holder and the Humminbird 130. They should be here be tomorrow!
I will post a report on both once I test em out. Thanks for your input everyone!

one_leg
01-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Dropshot Robo's for trout at LNL.

J Bone
01-08-2009, 12:42 PM
i just purchased the humminbird 140c. humminbird has the float tube strap made just for the 130 & 140 models for $29.99.

http://store.humminbird.com/humminbird-products/sonar/fishin-buddy/bft-1-float-tube/prod740096-1.html

if your going to use a different make, make sure you measure the diameter of your fishfinder so it fits through your strap. hope this helps.

BassEngineer
01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Dropshot Robo's for trout at LNL.

HUH? Please elaborate. :Off Topic:

i just purchased the humminbird 140c. humminbird has the float tube strap made just for the 130 & 140 models for $29.99.

http://store.humminbird.com/humminbird-products/sonar/fishin-buddy/bft-1-float-tube/prod740096-1.html

if your going to use a different make, make sure you measure the diameter of your fishfinder so it fits through your strap. hope this helps.

I saw that one...and figured it worked since it was made by humminbird and was twice the price. Thanks.

I got the fish finder tested it out Friday on the water with my homemade strap. I got the strap late Friday so I haven't tried it in the water yet. But "Garage" testing shows that it should be perfect!

KaliDawgFan
01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I have the same fish finder holder with a different fishin buddy, and it worked fine for me.

J Bone
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I just received my humminbird float tube strap for my 140c and the strap is too short!!! I contacted humminbird and they confirmed the strap to be 36" long, standard for most float tubes. Well I guess my Outcast float tube is not a standard size cause I need at least 40" to cover my chamber. Anyone else having this problem?

Lightning
01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Let us know how it works for you.Thanks

BassEngineer
01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I just received my humminbird float tube strap for my 140c and the strap is too short!!! I contacted humminbird and they confirmed the strap to be 36" long, standard for most float tubes. Well I guess my Outcast float tube is not a standard size cause I need at least 40" to cover my chamber. Anyone else having this problem?

Do you have the super fat cat?

The strap I bought from Cabelas is sturdy enough and the strap is more than long enough...(which can always be cut). The only thing I didn't like was the constant swinging...until I reinforced it, now it is fine.

The 130 fish finder works well also...no complaints yet.

WalePescado
01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
I picked up a FF holder made by Outcast at Bob Marriott's in Fullerton over the weekend for $14.00. I haven't put it on the tube yet, but I imagine they make it to fit their tubes and toons!

My Fishin' Buddy 120 fits perfectly in it.

kaiyasdad
01-29-2009, 08:19 AM
i still use my fishin buddy 2, which i probably had for 12 years and it still works great. i really dont use it for spotting fish but rather for locating structure.

hughpam
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I hated my fishing buddy. It was always a pain, and then it died. It flies real far when you throw it though.

My holder was a soda holder that I cut the bottom out of. It was cheap and great. It was the best part of the whole thing.

kaiyasdad
01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
why did you hate your fishin buddy? all my buddies who tube don't fish without them. a few friends did get faulty ones which were either repaired or replaced, but after that they were fine. i too used the cup holder.