PDA

View Full Version : 7 Short Halies and 2 Wet Tech Devices.

hoosierfisher
01-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Alex here...

Sam and I decided to hit the local waters for some hali action on Dec 31 as a last ditch effort to land some legal hali for Sam.

We hit the "usual suspects" and ended up at Newport Beach.

It was a perfect day with overcast and low fog layer to add mystic feel to our day.

Our task was to have Sam, my co-worker, land his first halibut of his life. He's seen pictures and heard about local hali action, but he was not able land one himself.

Well, Sam got a little taste. In fact, he landed 3 shorties (one 10 inch (see below), and 2 being about 17 inches) in matter of about 1 hour. he was so happy that he was grinning from ear to ear.

In his words, "I think I understand why you guys fish so hard all the time".

Sam Holding Up his First Hali of his Life
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1909/11432334/21289479/349520899.jpg

First Small Hali on my hand
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1909/11432334/21289479/349520849.jpg

I ended up with 4 shorties between 10 to 19 inches. No legals for the day.

General Info...
7 Halibuts - 10 to 19 inches
Bait - LC Flash Minnow and Daiwa Minnow
Time: 12 noon to 2 pm.

The day ended up in a sour note when my wadder's water proof pouch failed to "water proof" my PDA and my digital camera. In a second, the salt water claimed my $600 PDA and $200 camera (hence no more pictures after).

So, Ocean gives and takes as he pleases.... Man that sucks...

Nessie Hunter
01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Way to get a newby on some surf action, good job... :LOL:

Never trust anything to be water proof... Use a zip lock bag to store those things, then put that in the "water proof" pocket. Sorry for your loss....
Been there, done that..... :Embarrassed:

kozaki
01-02-2009, 07:25 PM
That's great work for 2 hours! Sucks about the PDA and camera. I've been keeping my camera and phone in my pockets on my shorts (under waders) for fear of "waterproof" pockets.

Wingnut
01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Very cool, short Flatties is better than none at all. Congrats on the first ever Hali for your friend. :Big Grin:

Frank (Nessie) is right, always plastic Zip-Lock everything electronics. Better yet, leave them in the car. :Wink: Sorry about the expensive lesson... I've been there, done that myself. :Neutral:

Thanks for the report. :Cool:

DCCTrouserTrout
01-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I barrowed my moms pink camera when I went flyfishing with TJ one day and dropped it in the water... I think it happens to everyone sooner or later and it sucks like no other

Nessie Hunter
01-03-2009, 08:14 AM
If you have a remote on your car keys, keep that inside a bag also..

Nothing hurts more then getting done fishing and setting off your own alarm when you have to key the door to get in... :Embarrassed: :Embarrassed:

hoosierfisher
01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
If you have a remote on your car keys, keep that inside a bag also..

Nothing hurts more then getting done fishing and setting off your own alarm when you have to key the door to get in... :Embarrassed: :Embarrassed:

Good recommendation. That would not be funny if it actually happened. Then again, I just lost my PDA and Digi Camera on New Years Eve. I never thought that would happen.

Water Tight Zip Lock Bag - A must from now on...

Nhatster
01-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Man, that sucks!!! I feel your pain bro. :Sad:

ghetto dad
01-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Wow, for once, I am glad that I am broke white trash...i cant afford toys like that...:Smile:

Anyways, good report and sorry about your ruined baller items...

GD

fishon714
01-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your PDA and camera. You must have been deep in the surf.