PDA

View Full Version : Native Gal hits the surf in 08, finally. pixs.

Native Gal
01-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey fishing guys & gals :Big Grin:,
It has been too long since I have been fishing, been stuck at home for 9 months recuperating from a lil leg injury. So my husband and I were talking about fishing on the last day of 08 since we did not use our 08 licenses much this year :Sad:, due to my injury. He has been working sooo much during my recovery and did not want to fish alone.
So the weather was ideal, sunny and warm, good weather for my leg and I thought I could manage standing and fishing the surf. Off to Carlsbad we go to hit our spot. Hardly anyone on the beach, nice. I tried to start fishing throwing Gulp sandworms for perchies but could not keep my balance while casting :Evil:, so it was the bait and wait w/chovies and squid. We were getting bites but they were all soft, short bites. My husband was busy casting both our lines out because I could not cast at all. The fishing was slow, but the point was to get out and do a lil fishing while enjoying the outdoors and getting me out of the house.
Later families started to show up to walk the beach and enjoy the sun. Many stopped by to chat and then my husband caught his PB Leo, the family chatting w/me said they saw a Leo at an aquarium earlier in the day and the mom touched the Leo and took a picture of my husband w/his catch. She thought it was neat to actually see one up close and touch it. It was a strong Leo and boy did he squirm. There was a large kelp paddy straight out in front of us and many dolphin were swimming around. About 3 of them kept swimming in front of us and riding the waves when they broke. It was cool to watch them catch the waves and see their silhoutte when the sun shone from behind the wave, no doubt they chased the fish away also. But it was all fun to get out and enjoy nature.
Later we took a lunch break and relocated a lil ways away. The bite here was still slow w/soft short bites also. I caught a smelt and was surprised we did not catch any sandbass, calicos or halis. We usually catch a lot of lil bass?
We left close to sundown and had alot of fun for the day. It would have been nice to fish the night and when the new year rolled around to flip our license holder over and use our 09 license immediately. Unfortunately the cold night air had me heading for the warmth of the truck and eager to head home, I was tuckered out. Once home I hit the xstrength Tylenol and said I was not going to be able to stay up to ring in the New Year. So I was crashed out by 9:30, reflecting on a great way to end the Year. Now we are looking forward to the many fishing trips to be had in 09 and can't wait to fish DVL aggressively, since we moved near recently, and my leg is getting stronger by the week, wooohooo!!!

So Tight Lines to all and Major Bendos for 09, :Thumbs Up:

NG
:Envious:

Troutman65
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Hope your leg gets better soon. It sucks not being able to fish .:Wink: Nice going on getting out there in the surf. Thanks for the report.

Granny Fish
01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Even if the fishing wasn't the best, sounds like you both had a nice day at the beach. Hope your leg gets better soon and you get some use out of that licence this year.

Santa Fe Eric
01-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Godspeed in your recovery and may you have much success in '09.

Eric

one_leg
01-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Good to hear that your leg is on the mend.

Congrats to you on getting out.

sansou
01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Congrats to you and your husband on the PB leo!

Get well soon!

Wingnut
01-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I was looking forward to this report NG. I know that you've been through a lot in the past year and I'm glad to see that you are somewhat well enough to get back out there again. I hope your therapy continues to go well and your leg keeps getting stronger so you and Mike can get out and fish more often. :Big Grin: Take it nice and easy and I hope to see you guys at one of the FNN Team 57 events sometime soon. :Cool:

BTW - Thanks for the Xmas card and ornament... it will always have a place on my Tree every year. :Wink:

Native Gal
01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks all for the get well messages and a Happy Wonderful New Year to all in 09.

Therapy is going well and my leg is getting stronger by the week. I should be back at fishing in a few months. For now little fishn trips to test the leg, it has been good to get out. I am an outdoors person so it has been hard to be stuck inside. I will have to wait until the next 57 event to meet some of you all, gotta skip this months :Sad:. Good luck to all attendees.

Looking forward to your posts, and pix please. Gives me something to do to pass the day now that I can sit awhile at the computer. Makes me exercise more so I can get out fishing sooner. :Envious:

Major tight lines and bendos to all,
NG
:Thumbs Up: