PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing a Reel

gavin310
01-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I know I'm asking for a lot here and it may not even be possible. What I'm looking for is a reel that I could use for hauling up rockfish or even pulling in huge catfish, but that I could also use for tuna fishing. I know that's two totally different types of fishing, but I'm hoping there's something that could do both pretty well. Any ideas? Even if something is better for tuna but will still work pretty well for rockfish and big catfish, or the other way around, that could be cool too. I'd like to stay under $150-$200 too. What do you think?

Porkchop5420
01-01-2009, 07:28 PM
torium 14 can do exactly what you want. The reel is small and light enough to fish for catfish; yet strong enough to handle tuna.

BingJr
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
LOL,

Torium 14 is exactly what I was gonna say. Its one of a very few reals that could handle the task. High enough gear ratio for rock fish. Tough enough for 30lb grade tuna, could handle 20lb line for catfishing, and costs about 170.00. It would not be the ideal reel for any of these applications, but would get a passing grade in all categories.

Porkchop5420
01-01-2009, 07:53 PM
The reel is very versatile. Also for the price, its a deal.

gavin310
01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
hmmmm nice.. 2 for 2 on the torium. i just checked it out and it looks like a good reel. i recognize them cause guys had them on my last tuna trip. i would probably get the torium 16 since it holds more line and is the same price. my experience on the last tuna trip... was fishing a small Avet reel, had my chovy way out there, got tangled by a guy with a fish on... deckhand came by, tried to untangle and couldn't do it, so he snipped mine and the guy's next to me. lost close to half of my topshot. that sucked. so i want something that can hold a little more line.

thanks for that suggestion guys.

calico killer kevin
01-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Calcutta 400. Has a larrgre enough spool
for all, and you don't want to guide 150
feet of line after every drop.

hakaveli
01-01-2009, 10:58 PM
avet mxl is for u

tmartin
01-02-2009, 04:43 AM
avet mxl is for u

I agree avet all the way

mxl w/spectra

Nessie Hunter
01-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Daiwa has come up with the perfect Reel for what you want (IMHO)..

STTLW20HA 350/14 6.1:1 $169.99

STTLW30HA 295/20 6.1:1 $179.99

Now you can have proven Saltist™ reel performance with the added convenience and efficiency of a **levelwind**.

Plenty of cranking power, a super-smooth multi-disc drag, four corrosion-resistant CRBB bearings and choice of standard or high speed gear ratios, make these reels ideal for a wide variety of freshwater and saltwater applications.
Saltist™ Levelwind Reels Features:
·Rugged, all metal construction with rigid, one-piece aluminum frame
·Four CRBB shielded, corrosion-resistant ball bearings and a roller bearing
·Powerful, high-strength alloy gears
·Up to 30% greater winding power
·Super Drag with up to 22 pounds of drag max
·Dual Anti-Reverse systems
·Dual-position power handle
·Aluminum rod clamp

It has your name on it....

Backed with some Spectra and a top shot of choice for the target and you have one very nice all around heavy reel....

gavin310
01-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Nessie Hunter,

Thanks for that! Someone made a good point that it's going to suck guiding 150+ feet of line back from a rockfish drop, so that levelwind is sounding pretty appealing to me.

One question, do levelwinds interefere with casting distance at all?

Thanks

Nessie Hunter
01-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Nessie Hunter,

One question, do levelwinds interefere with casting distance at all?

Thanks

Yes, they all do...

The disengaging ones (level wind is not engaged when casting) are not to bad...
But I dont see anything that says this Reel stays engaged or disengages???????
Havnt touched one yet, so I dont know....

I downloaded a pic of the Daiwa level Wind, but it wont load here...:Sad:

All the Saltists, like Torium and a few others all have the same internals, gears and drags etc, the only change is the Frame width, Spool width & Depth.. So the 20 will haul as much as a 50 size with same 22#+ of drag....
Just cant get as much line on them, and narrow spool will cast a little farther...

I want one!!!!

sansou
01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Guiding 150 ft of line back on to a spool is a "non-issue". I just can't see how that is a big deal....definately not enough of a hassle to merit getting a level-wind.

gavin310
01-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Guiding 150 ft of line back on to a spool is a "non-issue". I just can't see how that is a big deal....definately not enough of a hassle to merit getting a level-wind.

What's the disadvantages of a levelwind?

sansou
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Worthless for fishing pelagics (one of your criteria). You just don't need it if you're fishing offshore. (flylining on them is not ideal either)

Just learn to use an open face reel. You'll get the hang of it after you fish enough.

one_leg
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
:Explode:

I have to agree with Sansou.

The more you use it, the easier it becomes, until it is like second nature.

And you will probably be cranking up more than just 150 feet of line on the groundfish.

Still can't go wrong with an open top conventional.

Load it with some braid and add the topshot of your choice.

That way you can change them to suit the type of fishing you are planning on doing.

The Spectra will last a long long long time.

You can replace your mono more often and you will be a lot less likely to lose fish.

I recommend Jerry Brown Hollow spliceable Line One ® Spectra.

You can splice in a new section if it gets too short.

You can also replace a damaged section anywhere on the spool and still retain 100% line strength.

ghetto dad
01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
LOL,

Torium 14 is exactly what I was gonna say. Its one of a very few reals that could handle the task. High enough gear ratio for rock fish. Tough enough for 30lb grade tuna, could handle 20lb line for catfishing, and costs about 170.00. It would not be the ideal reel for any of these applications, but would get a passing grade in all categories.

u dont want a high gear ratio (fast) for RF.....it would work you.....for RF, you want the lower gear reels......

GD

gavin310
01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
u dont want a high gear ratio (fast) for RF.....it would work you.....for RF, you want the lower gear reels......

GD

i guess that would also hold true for hauling in a 30lb. catfish, right? what's a typical low gear ratio? i have a little avet that's 5.3:1. is that low?

ghetto dad
01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
i guess that would also hold true for hauling in a 30lb. catfish, right? what's a typical low gear ratio? i have a little avet that's 5.3:1. is that low?

no when youre catfishing, you can pump the fish...the higher gear ratio will be fine.......rockfishing, you DONT pump the fish, so your basically straight winding all the way to the boat....thats why you need a lower gear ratio then the 6.2:1 torium.

im assuming you have the SX? the only thing about that is, in order for you to have enuf line for RF with that reel, you will have to back it with spectra.....if you did that, you could use it for rockfishing, and even tuna fishing...i guess if you dont mind the spectra, you could use it for catfishing too.....

GD

gavin310
01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
no when youre catfishing, you can pump the fish...the higher gear ratio will be fine.......rockfishing, you DONT pump the fish, so your basically straight winding all the way to the boat....thats why you need a lower gear ratio then the 6.2:1 torium.

im assuming you have the SX? the only thing about that is, in order for you to have enuf line for RF with that reel, you will have to back it with spectra.....if you did that, you could use it for rockfishing, and even tuna fishing...i guess if you dont mind the spectra, you could use it for catfishing too.....

GD

Yeah I got the SX. It's backed with some 50lb. spectra. It worked great for tuna, haven't rockfished with it though. As long as we're not going super deep it should be fine... hopefully they won't snip me again :Evil:

so what would your recommendation be on a reel for my purposes?

ghetto dad
01-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah I got the SX. It's backed with some 50lb. spectra. It worked great for tuna, haven't rockfished with it though. As long as we're not going super deep it should be fine... hopefully they won't snip me again :Evil:

so what would your recommendation be on a reel for my purposes?

its REALLY hard with the different fishing situations youre throwing out there man.....but like i said, youre already spectrad up......you can use that for all 3.....

GD

gavin310
01-03-2009, 12:40 AM
its REALLY hard with the different fishing situations youre throwing out there man.....but like i said, youre already spectrad up......you can use that for all 3.....

GD

Yeah I plan to keep using the Avet SX, but I need to get my second setup going... I think I might just go with the 4.9:1 Daiwa Saltist. That seems like it'll be a good all around reel, right?