PDA

View Full Version : New Year computer question

SQUIRREL
01-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Happy new to all FNNers and board member and family.

Have a computer question about micrsoft movie maker 2.1, my son had to make a movie for his bio class. He went to a friends house and downloaded on his computer they did the edits and cleaned it up..Here is the problem, it will not play on his computer it downloads but we can't figure out why it would play. any help would be apperaited.

Thanks Andy

Ricky-Ray
01-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Does he have MS movie maker 2.1 on his computer installed already? Maybe there's an extra codec that he needs to download in order for it to play.

I've never used moive maker before so I'm just taking a shot across the bow. When he saved the movie what's the extension? Maybe send me the link and see if I can play it or maybe convert it to a different format that that would play also.

SQUIRREL
01-01-2009, 01:53 PM
The file is saved as a moviemaker project. I'm not sure if this is the extension. and i am using 2.1 movie maker

thanks for replying

Ricky-Ray
01-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Maybe because it's a project file it needs to be saved as a movie to be viewed on a regular video player. Can it be converted to somthing like .mov, .wmv, .avi, .mp4, .mpg or somthing like that?

WARRIORMIKE
01-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Maybe because it's a project file it needs to be saved as a movie to be viewed on a regular video player. Can it be converted to somthing like .mov, .wmv, .avi, .mp4, .mpg or somthing like that?

or a you tube video :Razz:

steveg1980
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
My guess is that it hasn't been compiled into a readable format. Right now it's probably just in a format that allows moviemaker to recognize it as a bunch of clips. You probably need to open the file in moviemaker and finish converting it into a .mpg or .wmv. I don't think moviemaker will convert to .avi or .mp4.

One other option is to try another media player. My suggestion would be VLC player. VLC player is an open source media player that can play pretty much any format, sometimes even if the file is corrupt or incomplete. Regardless, you'll need to compile the video into some kind of standard format (.mpg) for anyone else to view it.

SQUIRREL
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the help on the compter. Yes he had to take it back to the computer that he downloaded from and close in the right format.

Thank Andy