PDA

View Full Version : 6' 240 lber Out Of Duct

yolo
01-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I was out at the duct this morning and after 15 minutes, nothing. I am down on the concrete close to the water and there is like 8" of slime exposed from the water level being down. I make another cast and I get my first minor bird's nest on the new set up. It took my attention away and as I was clearing it, I was probably moving around a bit and since I was down close, I managed to just barely step on the slime and in I went. I was able to stand right up and walk out slowly. I have been fishing the duct for 20+ years and have never fallen in. I am still surprised I went in but I got out easily and quickly. Well that is my first new years swim in any water and of course my first duct dunking. Water was not too bad. Luckily there was no wind as I was about 3/4 mile walk from my truck and it would have been cold in the wind.

My left ankle is hurting and sore. That's the foot that slipped first and probably twisted it. My right elbow is scraped from landing on it and my back when going in. My left knee is scraped from when I did the duct twist :LOL: and turned around to walk up and out.

Happy New Year all!!! I started it out right with a duct swim :ROFL:

DEADROOTS
01-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Man be careful. People die easily doing that.

MarkyMark
01-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey, at least you lived to tell the story..Be Thankful

Mondo21
01-01-2009, 10:09 AM
That's too bad.A New Year's dunk! Hopefully your luck will go uphill from this day foward.:ROFL: Happy New Year:Beer Toast: Cindy

newbefisher
01-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Well at least you got your first skunk out of the way. Hopefully it will be limit stripers from here on out. :Fishing Catch: Luckily the water wasn't flowing. :Shocked:

trail blazer
01-01-2009, 11:01 AM
That sucks!!!!!!
least everything came out ok.

really easy to do at the duct if you get to far down on the side

snag
01-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Congratulations on your first Christening at the duct!

Could have turned out much worse...glad to hear it all ended well and your none worst for wear.

Thanks for the laugh and have a Happy New Year.

Jig-Guy
01-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Glad your not more injured!

Happy New Year:LOL:

Tight Lines,

Jig-Guy

fishinone
01-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm happy that you are OK.

Should we call it a Skunk-n-Dunk?

Last Saturday my freind showed me a backpack he had fished out of the duct just before I got there. It had a lot of stuff in it, including a passport. He gave it to the security gaurd who came along on her rounds. Later after he went to work I found another backpack. It was empty except for one piece of paper.

It makes you wonder.

I've been down on my knees in the water at the duct but somehow managed cling and not go all the way in.

yolo
01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
hanks all. Being around the duct for so long, I have much respect for it and always have a plan in the back of my mind. This was a very low pitched side I was at and that is why I was even near the water. I know several people that have fallen in. I guess I was due after 20+ years. :Big Grin: People I know that grew up in Palmdale said they used to go swim there growing up. I think the main thing is to stay cool, calm and level headed. I have been around water my whole life and I ride jet skis in the Colorado River all the time (my other hobby) and that current is pretty swift there. The duct has the ladders and buoy lines for assistance too.

I was going to change clothes and go back out but the ankle is killing me. I have an ice pack on it now.

EdSakabu
01-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Glad you're o.k. and that the water wasn't running. I was out there yesterday (from Lake Elizabeth to Llano scouting out spots) and there was nothing going on and no one there. Bad time to get hurt out there with no one around to help.

Keep safe,
--Ed

SoCalGuy7
01-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Good thing is you only bruised your ego a little and we're not reading about you in the news!

tpfishnfool
01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
So it took you 20 + years to get babtised by the duct ? Lucky .. I have had my slips and falls in the concrete river. Yea good thing the gates were closed !!

yolo
01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
tpfishnfool,

How many times have you been baptised by the duct? First for me. Not bad except for the ankle twist. I won't lie and say that summer is preferable to Jan. 1, lol.

tmartin
01-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Baptized by the holy duct:EyePop:, thats to funny. Well glad you made it out ok, I'v seen people slip in and have to use the ladder to get out, not a good thing.

exfactor
01-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Pictures would have been much better. Get back on the horse and go again tomorrow! Mikey

BassEngineer
01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Watch that first step...it can be a doozy!

RamboBoy
01-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Glad you're safe. I have to be careful on the concrete while I'm fishing.

SkipperDick
01-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Well that's one heck of a way to start out the New Year Yolo. Close call there brother. Glad you are okay. Rest up and you will be out there slaying those Stripeys before you know it. Take care brother.

SkipperDick

DCCTrouserTrout
01-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah, definately something that could of turned out a lot worse

tpfishnfool
01-02-2009, 03:40 PM
tpfishnfool,

How many times have you been baptised by the duct? First for me. Not bad except for the ankle twist. I won't lie and say that summer is preferable to Jan. 1, lol.

A couple of times , only one time up to my waist. Scary after when you think of what could have been. Now I keep my cell in my backpack so if I end up chum they can track where I have been. Be safe and fish on...

yolo
01-02-2009, 06:49 PM
OK. I have come to the conclusion that you are not a true duct fisherman until you are baptised by the duct water. :Smile: On a serious note, the ankle is slightly better today but still hurts to walk on. I wanted to get out to the duct this weekend but it looks like it won't happen until the ankle is much better.