PDA

View Full Version : Fin & Feather opening day

FISHBAIT
12-31-2008, 09:31 PM
So are we ready? I know I'm looking forward to a short 10 minute drive for some serious trout. This will be my second year, hope to see some of you pro-trout slayers out on the lake...

Do you think we can tailgate on Ave S? I've heard the line can get backed up to the freeway on opening day.

Fishbait

slief
01-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm looking forward to the opener myself. What is the opening date?

lizzay
01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
What is Fin and Feather???

BIGRED KILLA
01-03-2009, 03:42 PM
What is Fin and Feather???

It is a private lake with Big trout and Big slabs.

Bigred

BIGRED KILLA
01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
So are we ready? I know I'm looking forward to a short 10 minute drive for some serious trout. This will be my second year, hope to see some of you pro-trout slayers out on the lake...

Do you think we can tailgate on Ave S? I've heard the line can get backed up to the freeway on opening day.

Fishbait

You are lucky ten min drive we are a hour see you there.

Bigred

Kokak
01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Is there any information on the web about this 'Private Club'? Is' a bit far for me... but am always open to quality fishing waters...

FISHBAIT
01-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Nothing on the web. Opening day is the first weekend of February. Remember they won't accept your dues for the year on opeing weekend so go before.

yamafish
01-03-2009, 10:00 PM
You are lucky ten min drive we are a hour see you there.

Bigred

Bigred,
Do you know how long the waiting list is for the membership to Fin and Feather at this time.? Is it several years?
Have an idea of what the membership may cost initially?
You can send me a pm

Rodger

tpfishnfool
01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Im so ready for the fin. I here they are putting the emeralds in again this year. I just wish they wouldnt close 4 months a year for the 8 or 10 duck hunters there. We tried to talk the board into opening up a month early but the are all stuck in there ways.

Nessie Hunter
01-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Fin & Feather started a web site, but its in the works and not much on it yet...

http://palmdalefinandfeather.com/

Gatehouse - 661-947-2884
Trap range - 661-274-8313
Palmdale Fin & Feather
600 East Ave S
Palmdale, CA 93550

dockboy
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
The wait for membership is nothing now really. Maybe its backed up but not much last time I asked. My friend was the former membership secretary there, and his first year he got rid of the old list. Last year we had the first open membership status in 25 year. People were signing up well in April/May. The dues aren't bad. If you live in the Palmdale Water District its even better. Im about an hour away in the Valyermo area. We've been members 8 years now. Its the most expensive the first year for initiation dues. I think the first is about $600-700. After that year you drop down to a base price, which varies depending where you live. We pay 200 a year or so. But when you think about the cost of a annual boating pass to Castaic, and Pyramid, its a great deal.

The lake is stocked with trout from a private hatchery. The average fish size is about 2-3lbs, and a 1 1/2 lber is small. Due to the private hatchery, the fish grow large and are stocked regularly. As the lake is closed to fishing from the end of September to the first week in February. By late November, the initial stocks begin to allow the fish to grow, and then a very large stock is released right before opening weekend. Fish in the 23lb. range have been taken since Ive been there. Every year dozens of fish in the 10lb+ range are taken. We've personally landed 2 over 9, one while fishing spinnerbaits for bass! Its now unusual to hook a 4 or 5lb bow while fishing full sized bass lures. The cat fishing is also incredible in the summer. A catfish tourney from shore and boat was put on for the first time this year. I saw many 10lb cats taken to the scale, and a few 20-25lb big boys come out every year. If night fishing was allowed, I have no doubt that a 3-40lb cat would be caught.

The bass fishing is also excellent. A buddy of mine landed a 16+ bed fishing in May about 3 years ago. It used to be a 5 five fish limit on bass, and 20 fish limit on crappie and gills. It hurt the fishery. Now the bass have a 2fish, 12-16" slot limit. I fish a few small, 15 boat tournies there every year. On a good bite, it not unheard of to put a 20lb, 5 fish weight in the boat. It usually takes 14-15lbs to win. Last March a buddy and I won a tourney during a very tough bite. Our 4 fish weighed close to 14lbs.

All panfish are catch and release, which is a blessing. In the last 2 years Ive caught massive gills the size of small frying pans and many, many crappie. This lake used to be one of, if not the best, crappie lakes in SoCal. In the 90s they suffered a population bust and the fishing dropped to nothing. They are making a comeback, and its not uncommon to find very large, numerous schools of black crappie around the lake.

yamafish
01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
The wait for membership is nothing now really. Maybe its backed up but not much last time I asked. My friend was the former membership secretary there, and his first year he got rid of the old list. Last year we had the first open membership status in 25 year. People were signing up well in April/May. The dues aren't bad. If you live in the Palmdale Water District its even better. Im about an hour away in the Valyermo area. We've been members 8 years now. Its the most expensive the first year for initiation dues. I think the first is about $600-700. After that year you drop down to a base price, which varies depending where you live. We pay 200 a year or so. But when you think about the cost of a annual boating pass to Castaic, and Pyramid, its a great deal.

The lake is stocked with trout from a private hatchery. The average fish size is about 2-3lbs, and a 1 1/2 lber is small. Due to the private hatchery, the fish grow large and are stocked regularly. As the lake is closed to fishing from the end of September to the first week in February. By late November, the initial stocks begin to allow the fish to grow, and then a very large stock is released right before opening weekend. Fish in the 23lb. range have been taken since Ive been there. Every year dozens of fish in the 10lb+ range are taken. We've personally landed 2 over 9, one while fishing spinnerbaits for bass! Its now unusual to hook a 4 or 5lb bow while fishing full sized bass lures. The cat fishing is also incredible in the summer. A catfish tourney from shore and boat was put on for the first time this year. I saw many 10lb cats taken to the scale, and a few 20-25lb big boys come out every year. If night fishing was allowed, I have no doubt that a 3-40lb cat would be caught.

The bass fishing is also excellent. A buddy of mine landed a 16+ bed fishing in May about 3 years ago. It used to be a 5 five fish limit on bass, and 20 fish limit on crappie and gills. It hurt the fishery. Now the bass have a 2fish, 12-16" slot limit. I fish a few small, 15 boat tournies there every year. On a good bite, it not unheard of to put a 20lb, 5 fish weight in the boat. It usually takes 14-15lbs to win. Last March a buddy and I won a tourney during a very tough bite. Our 4 fish weighed close to 14lbs.

All panfish are catch and release, which is a blessing. In the last 2 years Ive caught massive gills the size of small frying pans and many, many crappie. This lake used to be one of, if not the best, crappie lakes in SoCal. In the 90s they suffered a population bust and the fishing dropped to nothing. They are making a comeback, and its not uncommon to find very large, numerous schools of black crappie around the lake.

Thanks for the reply. I know it is worth every cent :Cool:
I've sceen a many pics of the lake and they are just unreal!
Very imformative info!
Thanks again Dockboy
Rodger - YamaFish

BIGRED KILLA
01-04-2009, 07:31 PM
It's a nice lake but the only prob for me is the wind it can get really nasty most of the time up there but what can you do.

Bigred

INDOANGLER2
01-04-2009, 08:03 PM
I checked with them yesterday and there is no waiting list right now. I think due to the current state of our economy they lost a lot of members and were able to clear the new list. It be cool to have more members from this board at the Fin.

FISHBAIT
01-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Anyone have any info on the dock situation. Heard they are'nt letting you rebuild any till later inthe year. I'd like to get in on one, if any one has info or looking for a partner let me know.

What about opening day? Has anyone ever been, is it as crazy as they say? I was one of the ones who got in on the open enrollment last year. I was on the list for a couple of years. and when I finally got the call (2005)I was broke and could'nt afford the first year fees. 06-07 was a better year, and now we're in.

Fishbait

Kokak
01-06-2009, 06:25 AM
I see they allow boats... what about float tubes? From some of the pics I have found... looks like this would be an awesome place to Float Tube...

Dreaming of being towed around the lake , while hooked up to a 20 pound cat...

:EyePop:

FISHBAIT
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Nope, no tubes. They don't even allow you to touch the water. It get transformed into drinking water if I'm not mistaking. They say they can clean most anything out of the water but human germs are too much...

jase33
01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
they are having a meeting soon on the quagga mussel crap....hope it works out for you guys
lake usually get closed to boat after meetings like this (Casitas)

poolman1
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Opening day is Jan 31st. Opening day is a zoo so get there early. The line of cars curves down through the park and ride next to the freeway. Its worth it though!!

MarkyMark
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I just don't like fishing on opening day..maybe Sunday or Monday

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I almost joined there 12 years ago.
I think they were open from Feb till Nov back then.
Thats why I did not join.
I live like 8 miles from there.

Fishing a close lake like that would sure be nice compared to towing a 9k boat 65/70 miles to MDR/CI boat ramps.

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I see they allow boats... what about float tubes? From some of the pics I have found... looks like this would be an awesome place to Float Tube...

Dreaming of being towed around the lake , while hooked up to a 20 pound cat...

:EyePop:
Many years ago, When I talked to them.
No tubes, yaks, etc.
No human body parts are allowed in the water.
There filters can not clean it.
Yet you could run 2 stroke outboards on the lake.
There lake filters have no problem filtering engine exhaust. Amazing :Shocked:

fishfinder
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
If you dont want to wait in line just show up about 11 am on opening day and you will still be off the lake with a limit in less than an hour.
I used to belong but had to work out of state for a couple years and havent joined back up yet.
The one reason i havent is cause i dont like to keep my fish and there is no catch and release for trout. 5 fish and your done.\
i was hoping i could talk the board into waving the initiation fee, since i already paid it once.