PDA

View Full Version : Lnl 12/31

WaterBound
12-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Left MPK around 4:15 and got to the line around 4:45. There already was a long line. Hit up Dexter for my $20 permit and jammed for the launch ramp. I squeezed into a spot to the left of the launch ramp. Met a very nice FNN member there with his son. He said he was there last week and killed them on live crickets flylined. It was a slow early morning and before long the guy to my right crossed lines with the guy to my left. My first thought is that I should find another spot before I cross with the people around me. You know pretty typical standard fishing etiquette. So I move up more to the bank that is almost vertical. Met another really nice couple of regulars at the new spot. Not much action in the morning. At the spot where I left it seemed to pick up and the father and son looked like they were doing all right. For the lake as a whole with TONS of boaters and floatubes it seemed really slow. Then these two Armenian guys with their daughter come right next to me. Because the bank is almost vertical they decide to break chunks out of the bank. So chunks of mud and rock are splashing into the lake. Then guys to my left gets a few 2lbers on salmon eggs. Sometimes this lake kicks out trout close to the shore. Today the fish seemed to be FAR out. The further the better. Saw the father at the old spot get a nice one that looked about 4-5lbs. Guys to my right get a few. Only thing was they kept casting to their left over my lines. They got me hung up 3 times and I did not say anything. But the next time it happened they blamed me and I blew up! I said look at my rod holder and right in front of me. My lines are straight out. One of the guys just casted right in front of me. They just said relax as if it was only the first time. Even the guy to my left yelled cast straight to the guys to my right! They were pretty much casting close to even HIS lines. They kept chucking it out and I saw them land a nice 3-4lber. They were using orange power nymphs and powerworms. Anyhow I manage to get two and had a lot of strikes but no love. Then this old lady starts yelling at the Armenian guys about second hand smoke because they had cigars out. I actually felt bad for them because I am a smoker and we are outdoors. However they got pissed and I heard one of them say I am tired of people giving me ****. Then he just continued to cast right over me again and again. They tangled with me two more times. I finally cut my rig around 1:00pm and yelled assholes won't cast straight and tried to find another spot. No go because the shore was PACKED. Only spots seemed to be on the back side of the lake. So I cleaned my two fish and beat the traffic back. The action did seem like it was picking up more for everyone later, but no where near putting any kind of dent in the stocking population. Dexter also told me that not many people came yesterday and that not many fish were landed at all. Also saw a HUGE pontoon boat on the lake. I was told only floatubes were allowed and NOT pontoon boats. I guess you can because that big blue sucker was huge. I also forgot to mention that garlic dipping sauce was important for those that were doing well. I also finally got to review Yamafish's rod holders. These things are BEEFY! People around me liked them and commented on how they are the WRONG angle. I know Rodger told me he likes the current angle, but I have to agree I would prefer more of a 135 degree angle instead of the close to 90 degrees currently. No big deal though I just pushed them in at the proper angle and all was fine. Oh yeah the lake is hella muddy. Thank god I wore deck boots. Also the rod holders worked well as trekking poles through the slime. I like their height and especially how sturdy they were. They seriously look DANGEROUS. A nice feature is that there is a place to put an extra rod if want. I used it to keep my minijig rod out of the mud. I feel they are a great buy. Also Thank you Rodger for the free rod holders! I think I will want to buy some more. Good luck all I will try and hit up this lake again this Saturday. Only this time I am bringing some friends and I don't think I will be as polite if someone refuses to cast STRAIGHT. Everyone crosses and we have all had accidents but today was ridiculous.

one_leg
12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
I got two as well, right below the cleaning station, late in the day. Pretty darned slow.

Thanks for the report.

vertical
12-31-2008, 08:39 PM
heheh... where is lnl? where is this lake.... just so i can avoid it...lol

chivo
01-01-2009, 06:30 PM
what's up with the steelhead. Anyways, that guy that caught the 8.5lber on the cricket wans't liing. i seen it i also seen him catch an 11 lber the weekend after.huge fish. Anyways were's all the steelhead that were stocked. i haven't heard anything about them yet.

brant
01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
what do you mean a pontoon? like an actual one or the single-person type that is like a float tube...

WaterBound
01-01-2009, 09:49 PM
what do you mean a pontoon? like an actual one or the single-person type that is like a float tube...

I mean a HUGE *** MASSIVE pontoon boat and NOT a floatube by any means!!! While I was fishing he stayed near the inlet, no one could have missed him. He was the highest and biggest thing on the water!

WaterBound
01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
what's up with the steelhead. Anyways, that guy that caught the 8.5lber on the cricket wans't liing. i seen it i also seen him catch an 11 lber the weekend after.huge fish. Anyways were's all the steelhead that were stocked. i haven't heard anything about them yet.

If what I caught and saw caught were steelhead I was not impressed. Word on the streetz is that the Utah are going to make a comeback in February. The hatchery is getting the whirling disease clearance issues handled by then.

Senor Rambone
01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
If what I caught and saw caught were steelhead I was not impressed. Word on the streetz is that the Utah are going to make a comeback in February. The hatchery is getting the whirling disease clearance issues handled by then.
Whats whirling disease?:Shocked:

dcyakker
01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I was at the lake the 30th and the 31st and I only saw one steelhead caught the whole time. :Confused:

chivo
01-02-2009, 11:50 AM

they need to bring the utah back. no other lake in so cal can beat those utah's. they were awsome. and yes they are going to have some utah stockings later on in the season

WaterBound
01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Whirling disease has been destroying trout throughout the world for the past few years. The trout get it and lose their equilibrium and sense of propioception. It is major problem affecting all hatchery raised trout. That was the reason LNL stopped importing the Utah trout. You can kind of see this as the negative affects of farm raising fish. This same kind of problem has been showing up in farm raised sardines that are used to feed the tunas in the pens. Millions of sardines have now been infected with various bacteria and viruses that are destroying the wild sardines all over the world. Most of the studies thus far have been on the decimation in Mexican waters. So when you drive across the border and see those tuna pens. You should realize that they are contributing to the extinction of the ocean's creatures.