PDA

View Full Version : Questions about PENN 155 reel..

MAVERICK27
12-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Thoughts, applications, what rod to match it up to, fish types its good for, what is it worth?? Its a few years old but in great shape. Got this from my brother and wanted the low down on it. Any info would be appreciated.....thanks

gallogg
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Isn't that an old squidder?
Penn discontinued on that item.
I don't know who much, but it all depends on its condition.
I would match it with old truline 36, 8'0" if you can find one.
It's always "SHONUF" to fish old school gears on party boats!!!

Sammy

Ricky-Ray
12-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Here's some specs for your reel. http://www.scottsbt.com/pennparts/reelspecs/penn155l.htm Looks like it would be a good 25/30# reel. Calstar 800m or 700m would be a good choice depending if you want 8 or 7 ft. rod. Seeker 270H, 6480 in black steel or super seeker series would be good choices also and a bunch of other manufacturer's too.

Ricky-Ray
12-31-2008, 11:34 AM
If you don't want to spend that much on a rod Try one of the rod's from Turners. I think it was called the California series. Really good rod and I think it's somewhere around 60-80 bucks. I have one of their rods and still works well to this day.

MAVERICK27
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys, that really helps...maybe keep it for a good Moo Moo trip beater reel. OR maybe I'll put it up on classifieds and see what anyone wants to trade :)

Ricky-Ray
12-31-2008, 12:03 PM
moo moo beater reel, rockfish reel or loaner reel. I would probably just keep it and use it for something that I don't want to get my better gear messed up on. If anything it can serve as a backup reel to your main reels. Always have to have backups.

MAVERICK27
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
That's good advice..its already spooled with quality 20 lb line..I just need to keep it bagged up. Thanks for the advice!

CraigH
12-31-2008, 05:57 PM
I used one for years on half and three quarter day boats. They are almost indestructible and were used as rental rod reels for a long time (I think Penn stopped making them a few years ago). If I remember right they are about the same size as the regular squidder but they were cheaper and don't have ball bearings or the quick change spool feature.

IMHO 20 lb is a good choice for this reel. It looks like it can handle more based on the size but they have very small drag washers. I'd recommend using it for shallower waters because of the low gear ratio.