PDA

View Full Version : Kid's Lagoon 12-30-08

shh777
12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I went fishing today with my three year old son. I prepared the night before and my son was as giddy as can be. He got his backpack and toy fishing pole and set them up with my gear. I wasn't expecting much since I was planning on fishing the lagoon - I was planning on a slow day, and brought a couple of toys so he can play in the dirt.

We got to the lake at 8AM and had our poles in the water by 8:20. I was fishing 2lb test with Powerbait on one pole and an inflated nightcrawler on the other. I decided to set up my son's pole and have him practice casting, since there was no way he would catch anything on his TOY pole.

20 minutes later his pole's drag is singing and we pick up our first fish. I then cast in the same spot and no more than 5 minutes we have another. I cast in the same spot and get another in about two minutes. This goes on for the next hour to hour and thirty minutes and we get both our limits. We catch seven trout on his toy pole and three on mine. By 10:00-10:30 we are done and pack up.

My son had a hoot fishing at the lagoon....

FYI: The water was murky and the water level seemed decent, however I have never fished the lagoon before just the main lake. We caught everything on Powerbait, but I did get a strong bite on the worm. We fished on the creek side of the lake. We saw several families hook up on fish on our side, probably a total of 8-10 caught. All our fish were in the 1lb range with a couple of dinks thrown in the mix.

Mondo21
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I went fishing today with my three year old son. I prepared the night before and my son was as giddy as can be. He got his backpack and toy fishing pole and set them up with my gear. I wasn't expecting much since I was planning on fishing the lagoon - I was planning on a slow day, and brought a couple of toys so he can play in the dirt.

We got to the lake at 8AM and had our poles in the water by 8:20. I was fishing 2lb test with Powerbait on one pole and an inflated nightcrawler on the other. I decided to set up my son's pole and have him practice casting, since there was no way he would catch anything on his TOY pole.

20 minutes later his pole's drag is singing and we pick up our first fish. I then cast in the same spot and no more than 5 minutes we have another. I cast in the same spot and get another in about two minutes. This goes on for the next hour to hour and thirty minutes and we get both our limits. We catch seven trout on his toy pole and three on mine. By 10:00-10:30 we are done and pack up.

FYI: The water was murky and the water level seemed decent, however I have never fished the lagoon before just the main lake. We caught everything on Powerbait, but I did get a strong bite on the worm. We fished on the creek side of the lake. We saw several families hook up on fish on our side, probably a total of 8-10 caught. All our fish were in the 1lb range with a couple of dinks thrown in the mix.

It sounds like Dad got pretty excited too!:ROFL: Way to go! Thanks for the report. Cindy:Big Grin::Envious:

Sue
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Awesome! There's nothing better than hearing about young uns getting excited about fishing :Big Grin:

SteveH
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Hmmm, thought the kids limit was 3.
Sorry, I'm hassled about fish counts every time I go there, that or having more then 2 poles in my boat and I hear "the" I didn't know stories all the time here.
I seen 5 adults with 1 kid fishing the lagoon and they limited out.
There should be some rule against the 5 to 1 ratio, it seems wrong for so many big people to be fishing the kiddie pond (being illegal and ignorant shouldn't be an excuse).
Tight lines...

gavin310
12-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Hmmm, thought the kids limit was 3.
Sorry, I'm hassled about fish counts every time I go there, that or having more then 2 poles in my boat and I hear "the" I didn't know stories all the time here.
I seen 5 adults with 1 kid fishing the lagoon and they limited out.
There should be some rule against the 5 to 1 ratio, it seems wrong for so many big people to be fishing the kiddie pond (being illegal and ignorant shouldn't be an excuse).
Tight lines...

Nice job out there!!!

Steve, I had no idea the limit for kids was 3. Obviously shh777 isn't trying to be sneaky here, so they probably didn't explain it to him like they should have.

I agree on the 5 to 1 ratio. I think a kid should be accompanied by two adults max at the lagoon. I hate that people ALWAYS have to take advantage of something good. Always.

ghetto dad
12-31-2008, 07:18 AM
Nice job man...glad junior had a great time....my daughter loves the lagoon......

and in above ref to the 5 adults, 1 kid...thats not cool....that is taking advantage of things.....its usually just my wife and I with my daughter....or just me....

GD

shh777
12-31-2008, 07:42 AM
SteveH,

You are absolutely right about the limits. I did break the rules....Like I said in my post, this was my first time fishing the lagoon, and I just figured the rules were the same. I really should have known the rules and ignorance is NOT an excuse.

Here is the link to the rules:

http://irvinelake.net/irv/viewtopic.php?t=67

Joshua
12-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Nice job, The lil ones really need to have an active bite to hold their attention. I was considering coming out on the frist??
Dont ever doubt the cheap Zebco push button fishing pole. My daughter "had" a tigger pole that caught more big fish than my expensive stuff. I say she "had" a tigger pole because a large fish took it into the Lagoon. The pole is designed to float. We had lost it in the past, but I was able to retrieve it. Not this time.

They are reaaly enforcing the rules in the Lagoon. 1 pole per person and 3 fish. 2 adults per child. All the BS stuff that people try has already been addressed. The rules are in the books> They are enforcing the rules NOW.

troutdog
12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice job getting your son on some fish, hard to find a more rewarding moment than watching your kid fighting a fish! Thanks for the report...

If in doubt the lagoon rules are now posted adjacent to the pond....sounds like an honest mistake, no harm no foul....the cormorants woulda prolly gottem anyways! :ROFL:

Happy New Year shh777,

TD

rocknreel20
01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I have had my daughters playing nintendo inside my car and been quoted the rules by other fisherman that didn't see them. The lake also has staffers walking around fishing lures and then gets others started because they are not aware the staffers have special privilege. There are always adults fishing the lagoon at the end of the day by themselves. Recently we were there and a guy fishing a tube lure got the biggest trout of the day fishing by himself, he just stayed close to a family when the staffers came patrolling. Im not one to get into others biz, especially when I have my little ones close, but it is lame when you see how some cats have no shame.

basscatcher
01-01-2009, 06:18 PM

you have a toy pole too? im just messing good job out thier slaying the trout.

God BLess

basscatcher