PDA

View Full Version : Steamed mussels

Daryl
12-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I found a mussel recipe and made some modifications. After trying it last night along with some seared scallops and steamed dungeness crab, I decided to share it.

This is a simple, yet tasty recipe. I also added about 1/4 cup of cream to the sauce after the mussels were removed. Mix the cream in and pour the sauce over the mussels in the serving dish.

Don't forget to get some crusty french bread to sop up the sauce.

INGREDIENTS

25 fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 green onions, chopped
1 bunch fresh Italian parsley, chopped
3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped about 1/2 inch cubes

salt and pepper to taste
1/4 chopped onion

DIRECTIONS

Place mussels in a large bowl with cold water to cover. Let them soak for about 20 minutes to remove any dirt or sand.
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and saute for one minute, but do not brown. Add the chopped green onion and tomatoes, and cook until almost tender. Pour in the white wine, and stir in the butter. Bring to a boil, and allow to boil until the liquid has reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.(add the parsley 3-5 minutes before the mussels go in)

Add the mussels to the pot, cover and allow to cook until the shells are opened, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mussels and sauce to a large serving bowl, discarding any unopened shells.

~larissa
12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
thanks for sharing... i wanna try this. i have my own recipe handed down generations... i wanna see the difference in taste

FISHNFOOL9
12-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Sounds great, i will have to give this one a try.