PDA

View Full Version : 12-29 with art berry @ dvl

LateFisher
12-30-2008, 10:51 AM
TO START, SORRY GUYS AND GALS NO PICTURES :Crying: WELL FOR ME,THE BIG SKUNK, BUT THATS O.K. I HAD A GREAT TIME. WENT WITH BING JR., MAVERICK, AND CRVS. SCOTT CAUGHT THE FIRST STRIPER AND HOOKED UP THE SECOND AND LAST ONE, BUT BEING THE GENTLEMAN HE IS HE LET CRVS BRING IT IN AND LAND IT. GREAT JOB CRVS LANDING THAT FISH !!! I'M SURE MAVERICK WILL POST WITH PICTURES. BEFORE I END THIS I MUST SAY I COULD'NT HAVE FISHED WITH NICER PEOPLE, THANKS FOR A GREAT TIME SCOTT, CHRIS, AND CLAUDIA :Beer Toast: AND I HAVE TO RECOMMEND ART BERRY TO ANYBODY LOOKING FOR A GREAT GUIDE WHO IS WILLING TO TEACH AS WELL AS DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO TRY TO PUT YOU ONTO THE BIG FISH. THE LOW FISH COUNT WAS NOT HIS FAULT AS THE WHEATHER CONDITIONS WERE JUST TO NICE, LOTS OF SUNSHINE AND NO WIND.

MAVERICK27
12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Perfect timing John. I can just paste this here..

Well, first off….what a great fishing weekend!!! CRVZ and I fished the Vine a couple of days. Nothing huge to report and too much to type…The only thing that was noteworthy was CRVZ got to use her new ultra-light Trout slaying combo, in pink of course. Bass Pro had some great deals after Christmas. Anyway, her fist day fishing with 4lb test and a 2lb leader…she hooked into her biggest fish yet!! She quickly adjusted her drag and navigated her way around the anchor line and another rod…while I was reeling in the other line, the fish came 2 feet from the surface…that beast was at least 7 or 8 Lbs…and I always estimate on the lower side. Just then, it turns down and away and breaks the line at the hook!! Guess who tied the hook……Yeah I felt like a chump. I was so bummed for her. It would have been her biggest fish ever caught!

So, on to DVL!!! I was excited to get CRVZ on a big fish so she could get revenge from her lost trout. We met BingJr, Latefisher and Art Berry at 630 am in line. We quickly boarded the rental toon with the guys and off we go! Keep in mind, this trip was designed to learn how to throw huge swimbait and to learn how to catch big striper. This was a quality hunt, not quantity. We all knew that. I learned so much that day from Art and the others. Art is a fantastic instructor and has a lot of patience. I have been an instructor for almost 17 years and he is top notch!, even when I casted a custom modified $30 Huddleston swimbait into 150 ft of water and it broke off!!! Sorry Art, that was our best bait too! Art simply said “no worries, we got plenty”.

Anyway, we casted all over the lake and every spot came with complete explanations of why the fish would likely be there, what baits they might like and what presentations would work well. AWESOME knowledge that will bring us great fish when we return on our own. We got a few strikes on the troll and a short bite here and there. Until we hit a late spot…….here is where the fun began…

Then it happens!!!!!! CRVZ yells..”I have a fish!!!” She raises her rod and starts reeling like a mad woman! She was reeling before I could even look in her direction. Great reactions! CRVZ ended up being the first to hook up!! Art even called it at the beginning of the day. Unfortunately, the motor got kicked in reverse. That gave the fish enough slack to spit the hook. Poor CRVZ has the skills to land big fish, but something keeps happening. I was bummed for her…..again.

Next, Bing hooks up!!! Now its on!!! Bing fights the fish like a champ and lands the first Striper on the boat…nice 5 to 6 Lb’r!! Not the 25 LB monster we were looking for, but much larger than most striper caught at Socal lakes. Bing is a great angler and it is very apparent when you watch him on the lake.

At the last few minutes to get off the lake, Bing gets a buzzer shot and hooks up again! Bing is so awesome, he immediately handed the rod to CRVZ to land her first Striper and helped her out since he was closest. that gave me a chance to shoot some video. Her little arms could barely hold the rod up when the fish was fighting, so Bing was there like a seasoned deck hand. These stripers put up a hell of a fight!! She ends up getting it to the stern and Art sat on the motor so he could grab it for her…what a humble guy!! We were all happy for her and high fives and smiles all around. Her fish (We all say she landed it well and it was on the troll, so it didn't matter whos rod it was) was almost exactly the same as Bing’s except with a chubby belly. There was so much to mention on this trip, but It’s already too long…

John, thank you for putting this memorable trip together. Bing, thanks for helping CRVZ land her PB fish..and Art…what can I say? You generated a fishing memory for us that will last a lifetime and there are countless skills I will use for the rest of my life when I fish. You provide AAA+ service and your passion and love for the sport are unrivaled! Anyone who enjoys good people, good times and priceless pearls of knowledge of fishing should call Art NOW!!! DVL is on fire and Art has it fine-tuned. This is not a commercial for Art…just the facts. You never see me endorse anything on here, so you know I must have been very impressed. Here are some pics of the trip. Enjoy!!

Beautiful View, great way to start the day!
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0498.jpg

Swim bait instruction with Art
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0501.jpg

A Coyote. John casted near him and he grabbed the swim bait..even fooled the Coyote!
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0507.jpg

Bing’s Stripey! Great job Scott!
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0514.jpg

CRVZ’ Stripey! Look at that Grin!! Priceless!!!
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0519.jpg

Proud Angler..
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0520.jpg

Pic worth Framing!
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0522.jpg

CRVZ and Art, Teacher and student
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0529.jpg

DVL Team Striper for the day. Great times, great friends.
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/MAVERICKandCRVZ/IMG_0530.jpg

ddoskocil
12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Great report. Nice to get a few stripers - they seem hard to come by lately. I will be hitting it up tomorrow, probably trying to target more LMB that stripers - but whatevers biting! I will be definitely booking with Art soon!

MAVERICK27
12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks! We saw a ton of LMB's holding and swimming around. If you want, PM me and i'll tell you where we saw some pigs at. good luck out there and post a report!!

SoCalGuy7
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Great report guys, sounds like a great trip....Those stripers are fighting machines, makes it hard for me to go trout fishing with those brutes calling me...:Envious:

MAVERICK27
12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks. Trust me, I am thinking the same thing now too! I love the relaxation of baiting down at the vine, but its more challenging and rewarding hunting the striped beasts!

FISHNFOOL9
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I love the relaxation of baiting down at the vine, but its more challenging and rewarding hunting the striped beasts!:Beer Toast:
Now your talking,,,,,,,, say bye bye to Irvine and welcome to the darkside!!

MAVERICK27
12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Haha, you mean i'd have to cut the umbilicle cord?

FISHNFOOL9
12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Haha, you mean i'd have to cut the umbilicle cord?

Trust me brother you wont look back.

Rooster
12-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Great looking photos there. I guess maybe i should talk my dad into using his gift cert from 2 years ago :ROFL:

MAVERICK27
12-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah I should have held out that Sabre for him to toss that in the deal huh?

one_leg
12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Great report on a real nice trip. Thanks for posting it up.

Those are some real quality looking fish.

Congrats to you all.

I miss seeing Art's pontoon out there on the water.

I hope to get onto some of that bass action real soon.

And when the HO's are biting consistently, I will target them again too.

Wingnut
12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Very cool report! Those are some healthy looking Stripers.
Thanks for sharing your day on the water. :Cool: :Big Grin:

Liteliner
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Those are some healthy stripers. Did you guys get them on the swimbaits? Nice job and thanks for the report and pics.

MAVERICK27
12-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks Wing and Liteliner. Yeah swimbaits. we tossed em all day. These two models came from trolling them.

troutdog
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
What a gorgeous day to be out on the water chasing fish, nice reports and congrats on the fish! WTG CRVZ. Sounds like Art is everything I have heard about, that is a trip I'll look forward to in the near future.

TD

snag
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Congrats on the Stripers!

Great report!

crappiemike
12-30-2008, 11:00 PM
good report with good pics!! nice size stripers..

cm

LateFisher
12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE NICE REPLYS ON OUR POST, AND THANKS MAV FOR THE FINALIZATION ON OUR POST :High Five:

MAVERICK27
12-31-2008, 09:03 AM
:LOL: Yeah, except now I have the bug for DVL and Bass now. Great, more things to save money for :mad:

We need plan a trip with just us...Hit the same spots.

BingJr
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
John and Mav, thanks so much for thinking of me to fill out the team. I had a great time out there. Watching people learning about fishing is as much fun as fishing honestly. We caught a few but learned a ton. those were gorgeous fish. Some of the healthiest ive seen. My arm has almost recovered from 8 hrs of Lg Lunker Punker throwing.. :Smile:. I would do it again anytime with you guys, let me know!

Art, Thank you so much. It was great finding out all of the same people we know and thanks for the info you passed down, it is priceless. You are a true professional and come with high recommedations from me. Hope we can do it again soon.

Binger!