PDA

View Full Version : Pvr 12-29

Joshua
12-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Arrived into Bishop at 5 am. Decided to wait it out at Culvers Sprting Goods parking lot. The local sheriff pulled up to check us out. Culvers opens at 7 am . This is good to know should you need tackle or a fishing license.
Temps were in the low 20s when we hit the power plant on the Owens. My buddy said he knew the trick to catching browns at the power plant. . . . .crickets. I gave it a solid effort with no results. THe water was too low and it was too difficult to get the crickets to drift. Tried this until our fingers were numb (20 minutes)
grabbed the bikes and headed down the PVR. Setup at the launch ramp. All I will say is WFO. This was a day of catching. With 2 poles it was a chore to set, reel, land and release the fish. I had to pull both poles for awhile to give mself a break. Threw lures and didnt get much love., 3-4 on a thomas bouyant. It warmed up nicely and had to remove the top layers. No wind to speak of. Just a nice winters day. The fish were all cookie cutter 10-12".
Most fish were caught on power bait. Any color would work. Mostly, orange, chartruese (neon green) and garlic. Some with scent, some without. It didnt matter, It was WFO all day. Left around 2 PM.
There were othes in the area and everyone was catching fish.

Must have caught and released at least 70 fish between my buddy and I. I use a single barbless hook. I miss a few more fish, but it makes releasing much easier. If the fish swallows the hook. but the line. Didnt have much need for a pole holder. Bait was getting hit on the way down.

MarkyMark
12-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Sounds like fun for ya...WFO day at PVR

MM

TroutOnly
12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
DID YOU CATCH ANY BROWNS, I WILL BE BACK UP THERE FRIDAY,,,,t/o

Troutman65
12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Nice going. thanks for the report

GET DA NET
12-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Way to go. I'll be hittin pvr on the 9th of january with primo55 hopefully the bite stays hot.

Joshua
12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
DID YOU CATCH ANY BROWNS, I WILL BE BACK UP THERE FRIDAY,,,,t/o
no browns, but enough rainbows to get bored???:EyePop: I didnt really mean that.
I had a friend that had been to PVR a month ago and he gave me a report. i didnt believe him at the time. I believe him now.

troutdog
12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Nice job getting in on the hot bite, sounds like you had an incredible day!

TD

socalrippin
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM
sounds fun! wish you had pics id like to see what it looks like up there right now.

Joshua
12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
sounds fun! wish you had pics id like to see what it looks like up there right now.
On the north facing slope in the gorge, there is a light dusting of snow. Not much snow on the south side. The trees are pretty bare. along the water. WOuld make casting much easier. I have lost 100$$$ in tackle in the vegetation along that section (power plant down towards PVR) Side note: Some angler had to swim his way out of the Owens when we were there. They started releasing water through the power plant and the water rises fast. if you enter that section of water YOU MUST HAVE AN ESCAPE PLAN IN MIND AS YOU ENTER THE WATER!!!!!!. Once you feel the water rise a little, you have to GET OUT NOW!!
The snow capped MTNS are an incredible sight (as always). I am considering making another run tonight after the New Year rings in. Bring in the new year with an epic bite??? WOnder if the wife and daughter would notice I am gone??

tpfishnfool
01-03-2009, 09:26 AM
You guys didnt try throwing crawlers out there for browns ? Shame Shame Shame !!