PDA

View Full Version : Do Bugs Bite?

DEADROOTS
12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Are bugs ever caught during the day time, or do they only feast at night?

mg2969
12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I've brought to color a bug on GULP in the middle of the day, no where near structure. Its one of those things that can happen but is probably not the norm.

dixoncider
12-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, I have caught during the day.

lucky catch
12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes!!! I catch them during the day all summer long while hooping for crab. It's tough to throw them back!

DEADROOTS
01-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Yes!!! I catch them during the day all summer long while hooping for crab. It's tough to throw them back!

How do you prepare the local crabs and how many do you keep? Are spider crabs eatable?

mg2969
01-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Spider crabs (aka Sheep Crab) are edible.
In some fish markets they are actually sold under the name of "California king crab".
Unless you get a big one, its really not work the work.
Shells are super thick and hard.
Exterior looks kinda nasty.
But the meat is good

lucky catch
01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
First, back to the misleading title of this thread. Do Bugs Bite? I used to say no but yesterday my nephew got bit by a bug and we we fought the bug for at least a minute to get the glove out of its mouth!

Now crabs. Your allowed 30 crabs a day. You need about 5 claws per person. Once I have made it past DFG at the ramp I break off the right claw and throw the crab back to live another day. Crab claws MUST be cooked immediately or the meat will stick to the shell. Then you can refrigerate them with the claw tips up so any water will drain out.

wowitsayellow
01-07-2009, 10:58 PM
man...i was wondering why i've been pulling so many southpaws lately!!! =D

Bugs are active in during the day but your best bet for activity is tidal movement and or weather "stirring things up".

I have a buddy who dives in the port to make repairs on vessels. He has reported seeing them march around like soldiers during the day. Too bad hooping those areas usually means someone shows up with a large bow mounted chain fed machine gun and or assault rifle, or small arms being pointed at you. =T gotta love the dept. of homeland insecurity...

Spider crabs are not worth the effort...just chuck them as far away from your hoop net as possible. period...if you wanna try them get yourself a pneumatic power chisel...

preps i like for crab...you can..

use crab boil seasoning packets and items like onions, crushed garlic, splash of vinegar and white wine boil for about 14 minutes for the first couple of pounds and a 2 minutes for every other pound there after.

steam is great too about 19-24 minutes on a high steam.

make sure to use a brush and clean the gunk off their shell between their legs and body or else you can taste some funk.. also here's a tip rock crabs are like pitbulls they don't let go so use a upside down thumb grip. crab upside down his claws away from your body and your thumb holding the area between his last two legs. a rock crab and not extend his claws past that point so your digits are safe.. happy hunting..

tight lines...