PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and an AV Aqueduct slow report!

StriperEye
12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Hello everybody, my name is Frank and am I guess new to the boards.I have been reading the posts quite often and for a while now and have always wanted my first post to be a good one with pics and all the jazz...But as I'm learning more and more about the people on this site that some dont take to kindly to people who just take the info and give none back or post..I know there is a term for this,but it slipped my mind. Please forgive me and mean no disrespect to any of you, I have run into a couple people who were'nt to friendly and I thought of all things, fishing was a "friendly" activity, but you learn as you go I guess..
Anyways I have been fishing AV for about a year and a half and havent caught crap in 9 months or so..its so depressing!! Ive seen chasers but no takers.. I try to fish 2-3 days a week if i'm lucky. I went up this morning and hit a couple spots and saw some of the biggest bait fish I have ever seen. Probably 75-200 4-7 inches long and 3-4inches high huddulled in a corner of a closed gate.. It was amazing to see them like that..Fished for a while,threw chrome rattle trap and Rapala deep divers, and nothing. Planning on going up tonight to see if the gates open up..I will let you all know what happens. Thank you for your help and you know who you are, and for the two of you that I ran into that were probably having a bad day, cheer up its ok. Thanks for reading and sorry for the length. Hopefully next post will be with pics..

RamboBoy
12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Welcome Aboard!!!

Hope you like Fishing Network, here are some striper folks. You get benefit some information from striper folks' report and discussion about tactic fishing for striper.

I will looking forward to seeing your fishing report. God bless.

troutdog
12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the board....looking forward to the report where you get the fish that has eluded you thus far. Good luck out there!

TD

yolo
12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Welcome and you will eventually get them. The chrome trap has been good to me out there. The shad and minnows have been abundant this year. They fattened up the stripers.

Wingnut
12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I like your attitude. :Cool:
Welcome to FNN and good luck out there. :Wink: :Big Grin:

samgann93
12-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Welcome. =]

Seems like you have our addiction also. haha

trail blazer
12-30-2008, 05:49 AM
IT,S COOOOOOOOOLLL BRO!!!!!:Big Grin:,,,That 1st stripe is coming soon im sure,,,,,,just remember ,,if you found the baitfish then the wolfpacks<stripers> are somewhere near by!!
and i dig you avatar

tracker13
12-30-2008, 08:40 AM
It's all goooood Bro, there are some hella cool people on here, and then there are some who are only happy when they are into the fish. Either way man, you can't catch em from your sofa, so it's great your out there hittin it.

Feel free to P.M. me, and I'll do my best to share helpful info, and if I can't, then I know a few others who can!

:Beer Toast: Best of luck in the new year!

EdSakabu
12-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the boards. Since you fish the AV have you tried Pyramid Lake? I was coming home from a hunting trip last on Saturday and looked down into the channel by the launch ramp and during the 15 seconds of driving by I saw two fish being brought in (from the freeway they looked like they could be decent sized schoolies -- at least 24 inches by the splashing) but I don't know if they were stripers, catfish, bass or active panfish just splashing a lot. It looked a little crowded (it usually is there) but the odds of getting at least something is usually better than the aqueduct at this time of the year.

Just a suggestion. Tight lines,
--Ed

LateFisher
12-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Welcome,you will meet alot of nice and helpful people on fnn,just keep up the good attitude and keep trying.

StriperEye
12-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Thank you guys for all the welcomes and kind words! Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are alot of great people on here,in fact have met a couple of you already. There are always going to be those few, but whatever. Thank you again.
Went out last night from 11pm to 1 am and hit a couple of different gates in Palmdale, gates are still closed. I'm trying to figure out the open and close pattern and cant grab it..If anyone knows the time they open or shut the gates please let me know. It was 31 degrees out and gates were closed so I only lasted a few spots before I headed home with the big FAT :Skunk: I woke up at 8am and decided to try it again and headed up for the great old Pdale..Tried ave S for a while and finally oh wait nothing just moss from dragging the bottom..Headed over to Sierra Hwy and ran into StriperBill..Great Man!! Its always a pleasure chatting with you sir!!Thanks for the advice and will be seeing you soon. Fished there for about 30 mins and decided that I love getting skunked each and everytime I've been out,that I decided to take my:Skunk: out for breakfast before heading off to work......Happy New Years To you All!! Hope to meet more of you soon! Frank

yolo
12-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Gates close around 7:00am to 7:30am but I don't know when they open them up. Probably after 1:00am as that is when you left and said they were not open yet. Also Sunday morning they are open fairly consistently and 3/4 to full open for most of the morning.

StriperEye
12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Gates close around 7:00am to 7:30am but I don't know when they open them up. Probably after 1:00am as that is when you left and said they were not open yet. Also Sunday morning they are open fairly consistently and 3/4 to full open for most of the morning.

Thanks for the info Yolo..:Thumbs Up: I will have to get out there earlier then. Happy New year!

EdSakabu
01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I talked to one of the DWR people yesterday and she said the water gate open/close is all driven by water requirements and maintenance. In the hotter months and when agriculture need it the water runs more often. Also near Castaic and Pyramid it will run when they need to generate power. She also told me that it's been reduced since that whole Delta Minnow thing.

--Ed

Striper Bill
01-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Welcome to the board StriperEye, (Frank), :Smile: Don't give up, your pay off will come, it has to alot of people. Yes, fishing is :EyePop:rough right now. I will be waiting for your first report with pic. Good luck and rod tips up.

Senor Rambone
01-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the board!!! I have yet to go out for some striper, but I think this year I am going to make sure I make time for some striper action. For the most part there are some very cood people on here. The few with the chip on the shoulder are just bitter and probably very insecure in thier angling abilities. Good luck!!!