PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mission Viejo 12/29 w/pic

Loggoog
12-29-2008, 06:58 PM
My friend and I headed out to the lake at 12 and got a boat at 12:30. We headed straight for the first cove area, and fished for a half hour to no avail. We decided to head into the first 2 coves to see if we could find the trout in there, but still no fish to be seen. I remembered how well BigBass did by the swimming area, we decided to head over there. We got the powerbait and worms out beyond the red buoys around 3/4 ways to the shore. Right away I get bites so WHAM set the hook and it was off. The fish was jumping around everywhere and took me around 7 minutes to bring in on 2lb test leader. Finally brought it aboard and it weighed a good 3.2lbs. My friend had never caught a lake mission viejo trout before so I knew I had to get him one. As we were talking his rod goes off and he is on the fight, it took a while before it got tired, but it was brought in safely and tapped out at 2.8lbs. Around 20 minutes later, lifeguards show up and say we have to leave and cannot cast beyond the buoys. It was sad to leave because we knew we left the whole trout area. For the last hour, caught nothing. In all, 2 fish.

-Loggoog

one_leg
12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Now that is a beautiful trout. Congrats to you both.

FishBandit
12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the report. Always nice to know whats going on in LMV.

theBandit

Liteliner
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Nice job. I was there sunday for a few hours and we got two aswell. Saw quite a few but they are all very spooky. Lots of fish with jigs in their sides swimming around so you know people are snagging away. Lots of snaggers coming from the apartment complex and snagging fish from shore in the last cove on the east side of the lake.

Those are the same fish sarl gets so I guess you could call them tailwalkers. Very strong fighters. Thanks for the report.

troutdog
12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
My friend and I headed out to the lake at 12 and got a boat at 12:30. We headed straight for the first cove area, and fished for a half hour to no avail. We decided to head into the first 2 coves to see if we could find the trout in there, but still no fish to be seen. I remembered how well BigBass did by the swimming area, we decided to head over there. We got the powerbait and worms out beyond the red buoys around 3/4 ways to the shore. Right away I get bites so WHAM set the hook and it was off. The fish was jumping around everywhere and took me around 7 minutes to bring in on 2lb test leader. Finally brought it aboard and it weighed a good 3.2lbs. My friend had never caught a lake mission viejo trout before so I knew I had to get him one. As we were talking his rod goes off and he is on the fight, it took a while before it got tired, but it was brought in safely and tapped out at 2.8lbs. Around 20 minutes later, lifeguards show up and say we have to leave and cannot cast beyond the buoys. It was sad to leave because we knew we left the whole trout area. For the last hour, caught nothing. In all, 2 fish.

-Loggoog

What is going to be sad is when the first swimmer of the summer winds up in the hospital trying to get a treble hook out of their foot. Sorry to put you on blast Loggoog, but the swim beach is not the only place the fish are holding....PM me if you want the the latest "legal" spot the fish are holding at. Good luck out there.

TD

Loggoog
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
We were not fishing in the swim zone, as in the yellow buoys area. It was over by that area, by the red buoys. We NEVER AT ANYTIME casted into the swimming zone. Our boat was off to the side by the first red house, where there is a red circular buoy there. We were way away from the swimmers area, but I did not know what to call the area by the beach other than that, but I can assure you, troutdog, no fishing was done in swim zones.

Sorry for the miscommunication!

-Loggoog

troutdog
12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reply and PM Laggoog, best of luck out there and keep the reports coming!

TD

BigBass777
12-29-2008, 11:32 PM
The area he is referring to has been blocked by the lifeguards this year. The swimbeach area is blocked by the yellow buoys. You'd be very ignorant to throw a bait in that area as it's a swimming area for residents in the summer. The area next to the swimbeach was open grounds last year and you were able to cast into it. This area is called the kayak launch area. If you stay closer to the houses, the trout are also hanging around that very 1st dock. Put on a splitshot and cast up tp the red buoys but not apst them. The lifeguard will give you greif but then leave you alone after you show him that a splitshot is tied on. You can't cast that to the sandy beach.

Thanks for the report. The trout season at LMV has died down dramatically this year. It has been the worst trout season on record in 30 years. That came from the lake mngment and not from me. If it continues why even bother stocking trout. The lifeguards harassing anglers has gotten to an all time high and nobody is fishing the lake this season.

troutdog
12-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the report. The trout season at LMV has died down dramatically this year. It has been the worst trout season on record in 30 years. That came from the lake mngment and not from me. If it continues why even bother stocking trout. The lifeguards harassing anglers has gotten to an all time high and nobody is fishing the lake this season.

Dave that last part is what I like to hear, once this lake turns the corner it is going to be off the hook!

Bottom line is that truck full of dead trout on the opener really screwed things up from the very start. Granted subsequent stockings were beefed up, keep in mind it is still early in the season. Many lakes including the much larger Irvine are just starting to get good. The water is beginning to get nice and cold and once those beach hugging schools disburse, the lake will be much more enjoyable to fish. Add another stock or two to get acclimated and "fahget aboudit" :Wink:. Lets face it early season trouting at MVL is a sightfishing affair more than anything....I'd rather leave the sight fishing to the bassers :LOL:

Good fishing to you guys,

TD

Liteliner
12-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Dave that last part is what I like to hear, once this lake turns the corner it is going to be off the hook!

Bottom line is that truck full of dead trout on the opener really screwed things up from the very start. Granted subsequent stockings were beefed up, keep in mind it is still early in the season. Many lakes including the much larger Irvine are just starting to get good. The water is beginning to get nice and cold and once those beach hugging schools disburse, the lake will be much more enjoyable to fish. Add another stock or two to get acclimated and "fahget aboudit" :Wink:. Lets face it early season trouting at MVL is a sightfishing affair more than anything....I'd rather leave the sight fishing to the bassers :LOL:

Good fishing to you guys,

TD

That trout site fishing sure is fun though. :LOL: