PDA

View Full Version : BBL Condition Update

Steve M
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Spent the weekend at our place in Big Bear Lake. Did not even bring fishing gear. However, did check out the Lake both days down at our dock. On Saturday it was frozen with some small open spots in sunny areas on the south shore and what looked to be open spots on the north shore. Ice was 1/2" thick. On Sunday, all of the south shore was frozen and the ice was 1 1/2" thick. There looked to be some open areas on the north shore. Snow was 3' deep on the south shore with a crust on it. The snow had compacted about 1' from the week before. I was able to break holes in the ice around my dock by pounding with my foot. The dogs walked on the ice (tried to keep them off), but it is not safe for people to walk on and besides, it's against the law to do so. I'd say that unless they get a big warming spell, the Lake might be unfishable through February. Also, tons of traffic with everybody up there to play in the snow.

old pudd fisher
12-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks I guess I'll stay clear for a bit.

seal
12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Guess float tubings out for a while. Must be beautiful up there. Hesperia snow is gone except for a pile I created in my front yard.

Can't wait for the spring.

Thanks!!!

kozaki
12-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Steve
Thanks for the current conditions. I've fished the North shore in conditions like this (pockets of water that were ice free) with good results. Cold, but can be worth it.
Really though, I'm just jealous you've got a spot up there!

Thanks!

Steve M
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Just trying to inform people so that they don't waste a trip up with the expectation of fishing. The traffic is really bad around town and going both up and down the mountain on 330. We came up 18 through Apple Valley which allowed my wife to do her geo cache thing. We came down late Sunday night and the traffic down 330 still sucked. Pavement was completely ice free and people were driving with chains on. Then they'd stop and take them off in traffic lanes.

Saturday, I could jump up and down on the dock and send waves out through the ice. They rippled out amazingly fast. Many, many times faster than waves in plain water without the ice. On Sunday, I could not even budge the dock to send a wave out and even then, the ice was too thick to ripple a wave through it. I was able to make some cool looking spider web cracks in it. The ice was crystal clear and I could readily see the lake bottom. Still weeds out there, but eerily still underneath the ice. Looked for crawdads roaming, but saw none. I was able to throw pieces of ice and slide them about 1/3 of the way across the lake. Amazing that about a month ago it was still just turning over. Before these storms, the lake was down 6'+ from full pool. This snow pack will raise it at least a foot or two.