PDA

View Full Version : Pontooners

gavin310
12-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I hiked to the West Shore to get a good fishing spot where I wouldn't be totally crowded out. The least thing I expected was to be crowded out by boats. Two pontoon boats to be exact. One came literally 25 feet from the shore and they were casting towards the shore. Their lines were dropping 10-15 feet from the shore (I'm not exagerating here). I couldn't cast out without overlapping their lines. The first time they cast out towards me I put my hands up like "WTF?!" and they turned around and one younger guy started laughing. Wish I could've slapped that prick. The guy next to me called the office and security came out and asked the boat further away to move. He didn't talk to the boat in front of me because I wasn't standing in front of my poles and it didn't look like the pontoon was right in front of me. The guys in the other pontoon acted like they were pulling up anchor but as soon as security was pulling away they sat back down. By now the pontoon by me had drifted even closer. It was ridiculous. I called the office and ratted out the guys who didn't move and asked them to bring security back. He came back, gave the a-holes a stern talking to (they said they did move and must have drifted) and then went over to the boat near me. He said something very quietly to them that I couldn't hear and left. They didn't move. So I casted out over their lines AGAIN and obviously snagged them. I just yanked and broke my line. They gave in only after i made THEIR fishing experience uncomfortable, so they pulled up anchor and moved away.

Sorry the post is so long. If you didn't read the whole thing, the point is if you're in a boat don't be a-holes and give the shore fisherman some room. We hiked all the way out to the west shore to get a comfortable fishing spot, which is scarce at the Vine, so don't be greedy bastards and take our spot when you have access to tons of other great spots on the lake.

BassEngineer
12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
That sux...something like that has happened to all of us and it always sux. Not much you can do, but what you did. Call security and/or cross their lines to make their fishing experience "uncomfortable".

FISHSTIX
12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I hate when inconsiderate people fish thinking they own the water. you should have started throwing a kroc, kastmaster or something heavy to snag their lines and maybe pull one of their rods in the water.....maybe that would have gave them the idea that they were too close:Evil: its alot easier for some1 in a boat to move around the lake to find the bite not like shore fisherman. I always stay outside of the bouy line giving people on shore the coutesy but I always see some a-hole fishing inside the lines:Angry:...... on another note did you catch anything?

gavin310
12-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I hate when inconsiderate people fish thinking they own the water. you should have started throwing a kroc, kastmaster or something heavy to snag their lines and maybe pull one of their rods in the water.....maybe that would have gave them the idea that they were too close:Evil: its alot easier for some1 in a boat to move around the lake to find the bite not like shore fisherman. I always stay outside of the bouy line giving people on shore the coutesy but I always see some a-hole fishing inside the lines:Angry:...... on another note did you catch anything?

Not while the pontoons were there :Confused: My report was kinda weird cause I posted it under my "Hiking to the West Shore" question. Here's what it said:

"Thanks guys. Fishing was slow but steady. I got there at 8 and left at 2 with 3 fish. The guy next to me was hooking up like every 20 minutes. He had a super light setup with heavy weights and was casting further than everyone."

FISHSTIX
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM
ah i see:ROFL:........you punkd the skunk and maybe the tooners next time:LOL:......nice job!:Wink:

BakoBassin
12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
This has been happening at Buena Vista as well. You hardly ever used to see boats during trout season. Now theres a bunch. They tend to anchor off the known good spots...which are few...and not near where you can park. It's usually after the people have hiked back/over to these spots and are already set up. We get there extra early and put in the work to get these spots. I never see any of the boat guys in the line when the gate opens.

I had two boats try to slide in on the spot I was fishing the other day...after they saw I was doing good. They try to be sly about it by drifting in.

I wouldn't say I'm mad at them, but it is rediculous, not to mention uncool.

NoHo ART
12-29-2008, 01:27 PM
always keep a setup with 30lbs test in your car for times like that just add a 8oz sinker and cast lol :Twisted:

gavin310
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM
ah i see:ROFL:........you punkd the skunk and maybe the tooners next time:LOL:......nice job!:Wink:

Yep I punked it within 20 minutes. It's always nice hooking up early cause then for the rest of the day you can enjoy the fact that you won't be skunked :Cool:

GET DA NET
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
always keep a setup with 30lbs test in your car for times like that just add a 8oz sinker and cast lol :twisted:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

one_leg
12-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Glad to hear you caught some fish.

It sounds to me like security attempted to remedy the situation. :Neutral:

:Evil: What I wanna know is how did the guys on the pontoon do. :Twisted:

FYI, I was not on the pontoon in question.

gavin310
12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Glad to hear you caught some fish.

It sounds to me like security attempted to remedy the situation. :Neutral:

:Evil: What I wanna know is how did the guys on the pontoon do. :Twisted:

FYI, I was not on the pontoon in question.

Yeah I can't complain about the fish i caught OR the response of the Vine staff. They were quick to get out there and fix the situation without pissing off the boaters or shore fisherman. The people in the pontoons were doing OK, but they were catching them to the side of their pontoons, not near shore where they kept casting some of their poles. If I were them I would've cast all my poles to the side of their boat or further out since that's obviously where the trout were. Each pontoon probably caught 3 fish while they were there. People on shore only caught maybe 1. It picked up once the 'toons moved back.

pasadenafishin
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
But besides that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?

gavin310
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
But besides that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?

HAHA well played :)

one_leg
12-29-2008, 06:57 PM
If I were them I would've cast all my poles to the side of their boat or further out since that's obviously where the trout were. Each pontoon probably caught 3 fish while they were there. People on shore only caught maybe 1. It picked up once the 'toons moved back.

They should have been working their baits a lil bit as the schools came through. When one person hooked up, it wasn't long before another, and then another, got fish further down the west shore that day. In fact, it seemed to be that way most everywhere people were getting bit on Sunday. As FeeltheSteel says, "Stitch that sucka!!!"

I had one trout follow my dropshotted GULP power worm almost up and over the rail, it was crazy. All my fish came from deeper water.

gavin310
12-29-2008, 07:09 PM
They should have been working their baits a lil bit as the schools came through. When one person hooked up, it wasn't long before another, and then another, got fish further down the west shore that day. In fact, it seemed to be that way most everywhere people were getting bit on Sunday. As FeeltheSteel says, "Stitch that sucka!!!"

I had one trout follow my dropshotted GULP power worm almost up and over the rail, it was crazy. All my fish came from deeper water.

That's a good point. If I had a boat I would have definitely tried to follow the trout. Is the school's path predictable or do you just have to try and gauge which way they're heading?

one_leg
12-29-2008, 07:36 PM
That's a good point. If I had a boat I would have definitely tried to follow the trout. Is the school's path predictable or do you just have to try and gauge which way they're heading?

All the large schools I have ever seen have been going in a counterclockwise direction. Watch when people start hooking up and you might notice this also. Then you can get a good estimation of where they might appear next.

These videos might help give you some insight into how the fish might be behaving.

http://www.onlinefishinglog.com/fishvideos/

Look at the Brown trout vid where it picks up food off the bottom, then spits out out after tasting it. You don't always have to float your bait to get bit by a trout.

Some schools will circle around a boat in a ring and it can result in wide open fishing with artificials, including everything from hardbaits, spoons, spinners, jigs, plastics, and live bait. At these times almost anything will work. At other times they won't take anything you throw at them, no matter how you present it.

gavin310
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
All the large schools I have ever seen have been going in a counterclockwise direction. Watch when people start hooking up and you might notice this also. Then you can get a good estimation of where they might appear next.

These videos might help give you some insight into how the fish might be behaving.

Look at the Brown trout vid where it picks up food off the bottom, then spits out out after tasting it. You don't always have to float your bait to get bit by a trout.

Some schools will circle around a boat in a ring and it can result in wide open fishing with artificials, including everything from hardbaits, spoons, spinners, jigs, plastics, and live bait. At these times almost anything will work. At other times they won't take anything you throw at them, no matter how you present it.

That's some good info. Thanks for sharing.

troutdog
12-30-2008, 12:39 AM

Nice post O_L.

Thanks for the report Gavin, sorry about your frustrating situation.

TD