PDA

View Full Version : Solid bite at the Vine 12/28

Sierra_Smitty
12-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Fished the Vine with Sue on Sunday - had a great time!

In line 5:35am - Frickin BRRRRRR!!!! Super duper cold for socal!!! I'm not sure I've ever had a coffee more enjoyable than the one I bought in the tackle shop shortly after arriving.

Rented a boat, loaded gear and off we went 6:15am.

First spot we fished was a little ways out from the boat launch for nada.

Then we fished a spot on the west shore for 1 fish in about an hour's time. It stayed cold for a few hours with frost on the seats - thank god for those life jackets or my arse would have been frozen solid! Once the sun came out, it was beautiful though - t-shirt weather by the afternoon.

After the west shore we fished Sierra Cove for nada - Patrick stopped by and gave us the lowdown so we moved to his "hot spot #1" which was literally 75ft from where we'd first anchored on the west shore....and yet he was right, the bite was on at that spot. Oh - and on our way out of Sierra cove we watched a guy land a 10lb 10oz fish on the troll - what a pig of a fish!!!!

Back to the west shore where the bite was steady for the remainder of the day....we were one short of our two-person limit of 10....would have gotten it too but I had to get going to make a family get together.

Sue's most potent combination was a green gulp egg with a white powerworm. I used pink or chartruese gulp trout worms on the drop shot for my five. Sue had the two biggest fish of the day, the largest of which was caught at our last spot near trout island. The west shore was by far the best for us though.

We farmed several fish (argh!) including my biggest of the day - but oh well, it's all good!

Overall had a great time. Had the opportunity to meet Jimmy - good guy. Sue - as always, it was a pleasure hanging out.

A few pics

BEAUTIFUL day at the Vine
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/thevine.jpg

My ugly mug
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/smittyatirvine.jpg

Sue's 2nd biggest fish of the day - how I missed getting one of the biggest fish is beyond me (duh!)
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/suetrout.jpg

Peace,
Smitty

Granny Fish
12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Nice report Jared. We thought about going out Sunday and now I wish we had.

one_leg
12-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Hello? I saw Sue in the morning, but where were you?

Glad to hear that you got your limit before you had to leave.

Those put in and take em home trout fight so hard that you lost the big one? Sorry to hear that.

:Wink:

I found the dropshotted orange GULP Power Worms to be pretty effective on the west shore as well.

Will we be seeing more of you in the coming weeks and months?

Mondo21
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Nice pics. Thanks for the report. Cindy:Big Grin:

Sierra_Smitty
12-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice report Jared. We thought about going out Sunday and now I wish we had.

You should have but there's always next weekend! :) It would have been nice to see you as well.

lizzay
12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the report, the water coloration looks great from here.

Sierra_Smitty
12-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the report, the water coloration looks great from here.

Water clarity was just fine - been about the same all 4 times I've been this fall/winter.

troutdog
12-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Nice going out there, the bite has really good as of late....good to see two great people getting in on the fun! Keep the Vine reports coming Smitty....

TD

Sue
12-30-2008, 08:16 AM
We had a great time, but boy was it cold in the morning!! :ROFL:

TroutOnly
12-30-2008, 08:41 AM
OH YEAH SMITTY GOT SPANKED BY A GIRL,,,LOL,,,GREAT GOING SUE,,,,,BUT YOU STILL HAVE THE GREATEST LOOKING BACKYARD IN THE EASTERN SIERRA SMITTY,,,,,t/o

Joshua
12-30-2008, 09:00 AM
In line 5:35am - Frickin BRRRRRR!!!! Super duper cold for socal!!! I'm not sure I've ever had a coffee more enjoyable than the one I bought in the tackle shop shortly after arriving.

It stayed cold for a few hours with frost on the seats - thank god for those life jackets or my arse would have been frozen solid!
Smitty
Dude, have you gone soft already. "Sierra Smitty" complaining about the cold?? May have to change your screen name to Sierra SALLY.:ROFL:
Nice report.

Sierra_Smitty
12-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Dude, have you gone soft already. "Sierra Smitty" complaining about the cold?? May have to change your screen name to Sierra SALLY.:ROFL:
Nice report.

LOL! Yea, it's all about preparation and I was not prepared for 31 degrees (or so I was told) - would have had my usual fall Sierra gear, namely my Carhartt jacket.

Peace,
Sierra Sally

Granny Fish
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Sierra Sally :ROFL:

MAVERICK27
12-30-2008, 10:14 AM
great job Sue! Nice to see you there again!! I can attest to your biggest fish..you caught it right in front of us...looked like 3-3.5 lbs!! We were in relax mode and not workin too hard when you saw us haha...the Twins were actin up! Beautiful day on the lake huh?

Troutman65
12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Sierra Sally :???::Shocked::ROFL:

Nice to see you at the lake again Jared. Sue is very :Cool: to fish with:!!!: Glad I was able to put you onto the fish.:Wink: