PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my LURE?

RamboBoy
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi again, I am sure you have read my fishing freshwater report. I want to discuss, a feedback and fishing tip.

Today, I went to the fishing Palmdale Aqueduct. I lost two stripers, because my lure was hooked off from a striper's mouth.

What is wrong with my lure? Why it failed?

I used the same color blue lure in the past, last September or October 2008 I lost one big striper at the 77 Street in Little Rock (east palmdale). It was hooked off a striper's mouth. What is the problem with my lure? I need your feedback and fishing tip. I did keep the pole straight up and pull hard to hook up a striper's mouth.

Team Santana
12-28-2008, 08:34 PM
maybe you should try sharpening the hooks... go to bass pro shops and buy a hook sharpener, its always good to have one
and i know how frustrating it can be when you lose fish...
...Remember... its fishing not catching

RamboBoy
12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
I did check my lure the treble hook is sharpened. mmmm

basscatcher
12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
try the next hook size or set the hook harder. good luck next time.

God Bless

basscatcher

karlow
12-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Could it be you are using a POS ugly stick with no back bone to set the hook?
Just a though.
The bait has so much action that the fish always miss it?
Don't swing next time fish it like a jig, and just crank.

KP

RamboBoy
12-28-2008, 09:19 PM
my pole is shakespeare ugly stik
medium action (9-20lb line)
6 feet 6 inches tall
15 lb test line

This is almost like as Striper Bill's tackle tip.

calico killer kevin
12-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Did you lose it right away or after a little bit of battle?
You should wait before you set the hook.
Let them inhale the bait, them after a second or so,
set the hook.
Adding some kind of scent wouldn't hurt either.

kozaki
12-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Sounds like fishing to me. Some days the fish will be shy and barely bite/ other days you can throw a bare hook at them and they'll take it quick.
Thanks for the report, by the way.

RamboBoy
12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
It was set the hook on striper's mouth and battle, my test line is still loose, not tight... I retrieved a reel while I'm holding the pole up, but hook off...

RamboBoy
12-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Sounds like fishing to me. Some days the fish will be shy and barely bite/ other days you can throw a bare hook at them and they'll take it quick.
Thanks for the report, by the way.

Have you experience fishing striper? I have known fishing striper tip and tactics. I like just to discuss and feedback about this issue.

calico killer kevin
12-28-2008, 09:37 PM
It was set the hook on striper's mouth and battle, my test line is still loose, not tight... I retrieved a reel while I'm holding the pole up, but hook off...

Well, then just put some scent on the lure and wait
half a second before you set the hook.

RamboBoy
12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't use the scent...the crankbait has rattle (when you shake the lure it has noise sound)

If I go to the Lake and I will use the scent on a worm. The duct is the different from the lake.

one_leg
12-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Was that 1" tag end on there when you were using that lure, like it is in the 2nd pic?

Maybe that spooked the fish.

Ugly color lure, maybe it spit it out b/c it was finicky?

Better luck next time.

nismotech91
12-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Try a different hookset. Instead of going straight up to set the hook go with a side sweeping and reeling hookset.

dockboy
12-28-2008, 11:51 PM
You are using a hard bait dude. The trebles are small and pull easily, no matter how you put it. When you set use a side set. Swing the rod to the side while reeling a few cranks. The current in the channel and the fish are working slack into the line. You want to reel and set to the side hard to get as much slack out as possible.
Also, check your drags. You dont want to hook a good fish with the drags set to the max. Drags should be set at 1/4 the line strength. For 15lb test that means about 4lbs of drag is about right. Let the fish take drag. Hes not going anywhere in the duct. Fight em and follow the fish if necessary.
Your lures is a Cordell Red Fin. Good lure but it comes with crap hooks. Screw the hook sharpeners.You cant make a bad hook sharp enough, especially when you can buy chemically sharpened hooks that are sharper than anything you can do by hand. Go to a shop and buy a pack of Owner trebles. You get six to a pack. Size 4 or 6 are fine for that bait. Use a pair of fine needle nose pliers to open the split rings and change out the hooks. Sport Chalet carries the hooks.

BassinChef
12-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Dockboy hit it right on the head ...I always change out my stock trebles with Owners unless its a better qulity lure which usually come with better hooks....and definitely try the side swing hookset once you feel like the fish is on I personally set it again just to make sure they dont get away...I fish pyramid and castaic for Stripers and use a 7ft Clarus MH rod rated for 12-20 lb better hooksets IMO.I have been wanting to get out to the duct i have never been there let me know the next you go if you need a partner

BassinChef

PUDD MASTER BAITER
12-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Hope you dont mind the advice. The first thing i do with hard baits ,with those silver hooks is go with the bronze ,and over size them as much as i can ,without jacking up the swimming action. They will wear out in salt water ,but its worth it. I like my claris flipping stick 7' 6" 10 to 20lb. Matched with a shimano cardiff 200 loaded with crystal 8lb dia. 20lb rated braid ,with a 12lb to 15lb floro leader. Thats also is my jetty set up for bass. It gives great hook setting ,and can power any fish in when needed. Just my thing peace out, and good luck ....mike the pmb......

Nessie Hunter
12-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Never forget, "your fighting for a Trophy, the fish is fighting for its Life"...

It will do everything it can to get lose....

I can only guess here with the limited info posted...
Here goes...

Hard baits allow the fish to throw it easier then normal, the weight of the lure helps pull the hook lose/out when it shakes its head...
Cheap hooks, Probably part of the problem, they dont cut deep and the angle doesnt allow for a 'deeper' dig with pressure..
You should not have to do a hard hook set with hard hitting/fighting fish (Striper).. the Hook set is mostly done with the Slam and fight... Just a couple of tugs should set it deeper...
To much drag on Reel. This easily pulls the hook all the way through the flesh or lip and "See Ya"...

Suggestion:
Lighten your drag and play the fish more.. (1/3 of line rating is recommended). Less likely to pull hook all the way through flesh/lip etc.
Replace hooks with quality proven Hooks (Owner are best)....
Dont do the "Bill Dance" hook set (very hard and violent)....
If the fish is jumping, try and keep rod at side/low angle with pressure, to keep it from clearing water so much. The out of water time & shaking allows for easier throwing of the hook using the weight of the lure...

Thats why they call it 'fishing', not catching...
Sometimes the fish win......

DarkShadow
12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Dont do the "Bill Dance" hook set (very hard and violent)....

But I look good doing the Bill Dance hook set. :Sad:

ogrich31
12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
i switch out all my topwater stuff with the biggest "stinger treble" i can get away with. just what i do.

DarkShadow
12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
i switch out all my topwater stuff with the biggest "stinger treble" i can get away with. just what i do.

Do you suffer any loss of lure action when you go with a bigger treble, especially with your topwater stuff?

snag
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Do you suffer any loss of lure action when you go with a bigger treble, especially with your topwater stuff?

I like it better when the top water stuff is slightly below the surface. Sub topwater creates a better wake.

ogrich31
12-29-2008, 02:56 PM

doesnt matter to me when i'm fishing for striper because i usually throw out super spooks (the one with 3 trembles) and just walk it. not much loss in lure action, to tell you the truth.

trail blazer
12-29-2008, 03:57 PM
This past year ive experamented with many lures in the duct,,and have learned ALOT.
When stripers hit a lure, usually it,s from underneith and at a high rate of speed.

Ive seen thelm do this countless times while throwing shallow running minnow like plugs,
thay will often miss the hooks only to return and try again at it.
My soultion to this problem was EASY:Big Grin:
I STARTED ONLY USING THIS TYPE OF LURE IF IT HAD 3 TREBS HANGING UNDER IT and my hookup rate increased from abought 50% of the time to abought 95% of the time<or better> on this type of lure.

I hope this helps bro,,IT SURE DID FOR ME!!
T,BLAZER

RamboBoy
12-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Was that 1" tag end on there when you were using that lure, like it is in the 2nd pic?

Maybe that spooked the fish.

Ugly color lure, maybe it spit it out b/c it was finicky?

Better luck next time.

Nothing bother with color, it attracted the lure, it is almost looks like smelt or minnow fish. I will check out a treble hook if it is needed replace a new one Owen hook. Thanks for comment.

RamboBoy
12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi all, thanks for the comment and share the tip and your feed back.

Some of comments mentioned about the topwater lure. This topwater is the best for a summer time at the duct.

Right now winter time this time I will use the lures of shad lipless and blue minnow (deep 3 to 7 feet under water).

Trail Blazer, thanks for the tip and feed back. I am a newbie fishing on the Duct since September to now, so I will be more studying and learning the fishing method on the Duct in the new year 2009, LOL.

Again, thanks all! By the way, I will change a new treble hook Owen for next fishing trip!

PHISHnutS
12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
My head hurts :mad:

ghost2uu
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Quit checking those crap hooks and get rid of them. Might as well sharpen a paper clip it would be better than the junk hanging from the bottom of that lure. I like gamakatsu 4X trebles. Get rid of that ugly stick to.

BingJr
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
The type of hooks on that particular lure are a galvainzed saltwater type of hook, I would definitely switch out to a chemically sharpened hook such as an Owner or a Gamakatsu treble, maybe even go one size up. Koshaws was on to something with the fact that the Ugly sticks do not have much back bone and will not drive the hooks home quite as effectively. The premium stick for a crankbait (or anyother type of bait that employs trebels) is a soft tip as to not rip the hooks from the fishes mouth but a rod that does become stout 12-18" into the rod so that you do maintain control of the fish. The three treble style of rip bait would of course increase your hook ratio. The Rapala X-Rap comes with chemically sharpend hooks and an extra large shank on one of the rear hooks to increase the hook and hold % of those types of baits. Look into it. They are great lures to boot. I hope this helps.

DKCbassman
12-31-2008, 02:05 PM
It's a combination of the LURE, GEAR, and HOW the Striper takes the bait. Everyone has given you good info.

sansou
12-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Gap size too small probably and/or operator error.

RamboBoy
01-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Hello again, thanks all for the comments and I appreciated lot of informations and tips.

Sooner I am going back to the Duct again, after changing a new treble Owner hook and getting a new fishing license 2009. I am gonna have stamp two pole and stamp colorado river (big striper out there river).

Have Enjoying Fishing you all!

Tight Line,
Rambo