PDA

View Full Version : Sunday June 3rd late 1/2 day report on the Southern Cal

seanyboi
06-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Well i heard there was a WFO cuda bite going on just outside the shoe so my friend and i decided to go and see if we could get a few. We were going out of Pierpoint on the So Cal on a half day PM trip. When we got to the dock we saw the am boat unloading and it looked like easy limits for the boat so we were excited. When we got on the boat there were about only 25 people so it was light load which was good. The two setups i used that was my cal star 12-20 with an avet sx with 15lb test and my shimano teremar with a daiwa 20 with 20 lb test. When we first go to the parking lot of boats it was very slow. Then out of know where the bite started and cuda were boiling all over the place, on my first cast i hooked a nice 7-8 lber on the blue and white iron. The bite was on for about a good solid two hours. After a while the cuda stopped hitting the iron and only took bait which was fine. I probably lost like 20 hooks though. Some people were brining up nice sized calicos and three lucky pople caught legal ling cod on the fly which was surprising. The bite ended right around the time we were going to leave because the seals found us. My total of the day was 4 cuda my biggest going about 9 lbs and my friend caught 6 cuda and one calico. The jackpot of the day went to a guy who caught one of the biggest barracuds i have ever seen. It was easily 15- 16 lbs and the stomach was huge :shock: !!!! All in all it was a good trip and the captain and crew of the So Cal were great and always there to help you when it was needed. Total count of the day with 31 people was 7 Calico Bass 1 Sand Bass 137 Barracuda 2 Rockfish and 2 Sculpin.

Funjunkie74
06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
You probably walked past me at the dock, I was on the Victory!!

Good fishin!!

And where are the pics.....?

Sierra_Smitty
06-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Nice report....always nice to get some cudas on the iron. And that guy with the 15lber should have gotten the fish on a digital scale, the state record is 15-5 I think. Where's the pic of the monster?!

Monkeerow
06-08-2007, 02:04 AM
I was on the 1/2 day AM socal trip. NOWHERE near limits man. As for the jackpot, i bet it was a cuda that was out of the cooler. Not to talk ***** about the so cal since its a good boat, but they always rig the jackpots. They rigged ours big time. I saw every fish on board, and no way the jackpot fish was boated that same day we fished. We had very scratchy fishing...so....yea. :roll:

ghetto dad
06-08-2007, 07:21 AM
nice report man, thanks!! a 16 lb barracuda????? come on now...lol.....

phish
06-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the report...was that cuda stuffed with lead?

ish...

seanboi
06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Ya i know they did have a cooler right next to the bait tank filled with cuda. And the So Cal did say they caught a giant squid on our trip, i didnt see it. Ghetto dad like i said befor it was the biggest cuda i have ever seen the stamach was bulgin and it was at least 3 and half feet

JapanRon
06-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi seanyboi,

Great report and detail. Ya gotta have pics to satisfy some of the tougher segiment of our readership! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the effort.

JapanRon

To Monkeerow,

As you well know, there are some boats one enters the jackpot and some one doesn't. It's a learning process that sometimes exposes an ugly side to things that on the surface seem pretty much on the up and up.

I have no problem with gambling itself nor with jackpots if ...... you get better odds than Vegas. In general .... that's not going to happen on MANY of our open-party local/Island 1/2, 3/4, and overnight moo-moos ...... or anywhere else we gamble !! :lol: :lol:

I remind myself when tempted with a light load or an extra jolt of confidence ...... the house ALWAYS holds ALL the odds! ........ Always !

JapanRon

To Newbes,

For the newbies' benefit .........................How?
Good chances (not 100%) the house percentages are high on a boat when all or a good bunch of the following 10 signs appear.

1) Guys show up to only fish for jackpots/passes and don't seem so interested in keeping all the fish themselves. (often are shared with the crew)
2) Guys seek to fish big baits (and get them) all day long for that one or two bites.
3) There are already fish in the oft-unused front bait-tank or in a wetted gunny sack somewhere!!!
4) Guys are either in the wheelhouse or fishing.
5) Guys hang out on the dock until the last minute boarding call.
6) You notice certain 'regulars' guys (who pay for a ticket) are somehow always getting on or off a boat AND ....... get in the jackpot. (mostly hard-earned experience)
7) Guys know exactly what rig and bait to use at a given spot And ..... somehow pull out the jackpot in the latter part of the trip or even at the last moment. (experience and often privlidged knowledge)
8) Guys that simply have a 'bad-deadheads' attitude.
9) Guys gear is simple, often old-school, and has lots of beef!
10) Lastly ...... when you see two, three, or four of a combination of the guys above climb on aboard. Don't try fishing against 4 expert anglers for the money ........ unless ...................... you are one!! But ..... For the challenge ... that's a different story!

As I go very often and try to maintain some distance for reporting sake, I have found that the following works in making it clear I'm not a competitor or worse yet ........... a suspected 'bad-deadhead'.

Therefore:

1) I don't enter the jackpot And ........ make it known!! ....... to many a surprised look! :lol: :lol:
2) I've always got my 'spot' and don't run around trying to chase the best spot on the boat at a given spot/stop. yes ...... there is such a thing.
3) I don't hang out with the skipper/deck/cook.
4) I pay cash for my ticket .... at the office.
5) I don't usually have a sack and don't keep fish but ALWAYS give them away.
6) I fish plastics .... which is generally not the jackpot getter in most situations.
7) I fish light or medium-tackle which is a great disadvantage with larger (potential jackpot) fish.
8) I'm not cheap and tip up-front at the trips start.
9) To avoid confusion, when the opprotunity arrises, a word to a deadhead establishes proper distance. (Don't Tread On Me!)
10) I make it a point to enjoy my fishing, fish for myself, and not take whether or not I catch a big or a ton of fish seriously.

All that said ..... be assured ..... somebody waking up from being seasick the entire trip hails from Kansas, who's seen the ocean for the first time, and never fished, with ................. a now-broken rental-rod, using a hook picked up off the deck, fishing an hour-old dead, scale-less Anchovie will catch the jackpot fish 5 seconds of the last stop of the day.

That's when all the above doesn't mean jack!!

Learn the system, learn the boat, and have more fun!!

******** BACK TO TOPIC ***********

Pics .... pics ....... seanyboi :lol: :wink:

JapanRon

Monkeerow
06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, just to settle my story, the guy that won tha jackpot that day WAS in fact a deadhead. For a fact, 100% i know he was a deadhead. Overhearing conversations and yadda yadda. The guy didn't even have a gunny sack, even though he was keeping fish out of the cooler, hanging out in the wheelhouse, etc.. Also, this was not the first time i've ridden on the socal, and the crew aren't bad guys, they just make sure they receive the jackpot is all. So its more like they don't trust the guys that enter the jackpot, but I do know that a lot of boats do this, and boats that don't. But one thing is for certain, SoCal does have its share of situations like this where they already have a fish hiding somewhere either in the front livewell thing or in those ice chests. When they filleted the fish, the guy that won the jackpot filleted all the smaller models. The big one once again disappeared, but I saw a few big ones being cleaned out, they were DRY. I guess its not a big deal, but with all my experiences combined now, I'll never join a jackpot on Socal every again.